Connect with us
DAPA Banner
DAPA Coin
DAPA
COIN PAYMENT ASSET
PRIVACY · BLOCKDAG · HOMOMORPHIC ENCRYPTION · RUST
ElGamal Encrypted MINE DAPA
🚫 GENESIS SOLD OUT
DAPAPAY COMING

Sports

Dan Hurley credits wife for avoiding UConn technical foul after Duke shot

Published

on

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

While the UConn Huskies have a trip back to the national championship at stake, it’s hard not to keep thinking about the insane ending against Duke, when a halftime court shot sealed victory in a way fit for March Madness.

But head coach Dan Hurley credited his wife, Andrea, who he called a “Jersey boss lady,” for making sure the Huskies didn’t do anything they’d regret after that 3-pointer gave them a 73-72 lead, securing them a spot in the Final Four.

Hurley, making an appearance on Barstool Sports’ “Pardon My Take,” agreed with Dan “Big Cat” Katz when he mentioned how “incredible” Andrea was in making sure all the players and staff went back to the bench after the shot was hit.

Advertisement

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Head coach Dan Hurley of the Connecticut Huskies reacting during a basketball game at Madison Square Garden

Head coach Dan Hurley of the Connecticut Huskies reacts in the first half of a quarterfinal game against the Villanova Wildcats during the Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden March 13, 2025, in New York City. (Sarah Stier/Getty Images)

With 0.3 seconds still left on the clock, the Huskies may have gotten a technical foul, which would have resulted in free throws for Duke.

“Yeah, she’s a boss. She’s the Jersey boss lady. And her language is colorful, too. I mean, she was grabbing people around the back of their warmups. And she doesn’t know anything about basketball, you know?” Hurley said.

ILLINOIS KNOCKS OFF IOWA TO REACH FINAL FOUR AFTER BUZZER MALFUNCTION DELAY

Advertisement

Hurley revealed the conversation he had with his wife after the Final Four spot was secured.

“I said to her on the plane, ‘This is wild. Three out of four years, you’re going to the Final Four. Do you ever imagine this with your life,’” Hurley said.

“And she’s like, ‘I didn’t even know Final Four existed until four years ago.”

Four years ago, Hurley made his first trip to the Final Four, and the result was exactly what he had hoped for — a national title.

Advertisement
Andrea Hurley watching a college basketball game at Mohegan Sun Arena

Andrea Hurley, wife of UConn Huskies head coach Dan Hurley, watches a Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame exhibition game between UConn and Boston College at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., Oct. 13, 2025. (Erica Denhoff/Icon Sportswire)

The Huskies successfully defended that title in 2024, maintaining their No. 1 overall seed throughout the year. But after losing in the second round to Florida in last year’s NCAA Tournament, the Huskies came in looking for redemption.

They got as high as No. 2 in the AP rankings, and they are a No. 2 seed about to face No. 3 Illinois with a chance to return to the national championship next Monday.  

But that wouldn’t have been the case if his players didn’t intercept a pass by Duke star Cam Boozer, the son of Duke and NBA great Carlos Boozer, and Braylon Mullins drilled a 3-pointer almost at the buzzer in a bizarre finish to their Elite Eight matchup.

UConn Huskies head coach Dan Hurley watching from the sideline during a basketball game.

UConn Huskies head coach Dan Hurley watches from the sideline as his team takes on the Columbia Lions at Harry A. Gampel Pavilion in Storrs, Conn., Nov. 10, 2025. (David Butler II/Imagn Images)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

UConn had come back from a 19-point deficit to shock the Blue Devils and earn a trip to Lucas Oil Stadium, where they will take on Illinois, the top-ranked offense in the country this year, for a spot in the final.

The teams will tip off in Indianapolis at 6:09 p.m. ET Saturday.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Towering statue of Pele unveiled in Guadalajara ahead of FIFA World Cup | FIFA World Cup 2022

Published

on

Pele's statue installed in Guadalajara

Pele’s statue installed in Guadalajara


A large statue of soccer great Pele was unveiled Thursday in the Mexican city of Guadalajara to commemorate his achievements with the Brazilian national team.


Pele, who died at age 82 in 2022, won one of his three World Cup titles in Mexico at the 1970 edition of the tournament.


“This monumental figure of this great player, who played here and scored a great goal, is a great gift to the people of Jalisco and to all visitors,” Jalisco Gov. Pablo Lemus said. “Pele loved Guadalajara, and the Brazilian national team fell in love with it because the Mexican public gave them everything in 1970.” 

Advertisement

 


 
The 9.5-meter-tall (31-foot) statue is located in a public square called Plaza Brazil outside the Jalisco Stadium, which hosted matches in the 1970 and 1986 World Cups. For its 1970 title run, Brazil played its first-round, quarterfinal, and semifinal matches at the stadium before beating Italy in the final at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City.


“People who come to the Jalisco Stadium now will stop to take pictures. This statue will be a landmark, especially since it depicts a football star like Pele,” Lemus said. “It’s a great gift for the World Cup.” 
In the 2026 World Cup, Guadalajara will host four first-round matches: South Korea vs. Czech Republic on June 12; Mexico vs. South Korea on June 18, Colombia vs. Congo on June 23, and Uruguay vs. Spain on June 26.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Advertisement

First Published: May 22 2026 | 12:32 PM IST

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Pro reveals details of insane tattoo bet with caddie

Published

on

On Sunday, Lottie Woad enjoyed what is becoming a regular tradition in her pro career.

With a final-round 69 at the Kroger Queen City Championship in Cincinnati, Woad, who is 22, won her second LPGA event (and third event in total) since turning pro in the middle of last year. Woad’s victory was the latest highlight in her rapid climb up the food chain in the women’s game. It was also a moment of affirmation for one of her more … eclectic competitive rituals: a bag of gummy bears that has served as her good-luck charm.

As the story goes, the tradition started with Woad’s caddie, David Taylor, a veteran LPGA looper who evidently shares her sweet tooth.

“So, back in the UK, we’ve got kind of little supermarket called Marks & Spencer, and they do this sweet called Percy Pigs, and it just so happened that Singapore had one of these little small supermarkets, and I came across it one night when we were out for dinner,” Taylor said. “So, I took them and I put them in the bag, and I said, ‘These are some birdie sweets.’”

Advertisement

Caddies are famously adept at discovering motivational tools for their players, and in Taylor’s case, the key to Woad’s heart was simple.

“Now, every player is driven by different things, some are financially driven, Lotte is in fact driven by sweets,” he said. “So, I put them in the bag, and I said, ‘Every birdie you make, we get one each.’ So it’s not she’s going to hit some mad sugar rush or anything.”

Woad is careful to point out that she’s not exactly housing gummy bears during the course of competition. The candies are a boost that helps to break up the monotony of life on the road.

“I don’t know, we’ve done it the last few events that we remembered,” Woad said with a grin. “Yeah, I think people think that we’re like stuffing our faces with sweets during the round, but like realistically we’re eating like four gummy bears.”

Advertisement

But Woad’s moment in the sun at the Kroger Queen City Championship was dually rewarding, and not just for the sugar high of a pro victory. As Taylor explained in an interview with SiriusXM, he’d made his pro an unusual promise: The next time she won an event, she could choose the design for the next tattoo on her caddie’s body.

Woad’s victory in Cincy meant that she had earned that right, and as you might expect, there was only one option that made sense.

“Actually, about one hour ago, I got a text message from her, and she’s finally chosen what to get,” Taylor said with a laugh. “She’s chosen the piece, and it is, in fact, going to be a little gummy bear with a crown on it.”

A gummy bear with a crown — fitting for the first crowning of a new LPGA heavyweight player-caddie pairing … and one that just so happened to come in the Queen City.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

You can’t put it on kids

Published

on

Former India player Aakash Chopra has questioned Ruturaj Gaikwad for attributing the Chennai Super Kings’ (CSK) early exit from IPL 2026 to a young and inexperienced team. He highlighted that the blame shouldn’t be put on kids and that the seniors need to own up.

CSK were eliminated from IPL 2026 after an 89-run loss against the Gujarat Titans (GT) in Ahmedabad on Thursday, May 21. The visitors were bowled out for 140 in pursuit of a 230-run target.

In a video shared on his YouTube channel, ‘Aakash Chopra,’ the former India batter opined that Gaikwad should have spoken about the underperforming seniors instead of the youngsters while reflecting on CSK‘s exit in the post-match interview.

“He said that’s a very young team, that they cannot show that much faith in youngsters, and that they don’t have enough experience. I am wondering why those who have experience aren’t being spoken about. The talk should have been about Sanju Samson, Rutu, Shivam Dube, and Dewald Brevis. The talk shouldn’t be about Ayush Mhatre, Kartik Sharma, Prashant Veer, or Urvil Patel. What they did was excellent,” Chopra said.

“The talk should actually be about the elders. Rutu, how was your season? Kids bring bravado and an attacking approach. They don’t bring consistency, and how will they bring consistency? They are kids. So whose responsibility was it? You said you would open and don’t want to let Mhatre open. You needed to score runs. I agree that anyone can have a bad season, but you need to own up. You can’t put it on kids that they didn’t do well,” he added.

Ruturaj Gaikwad aggregated 337 runs at an underwhelming strike rate of 123.44 in 14 innings in IPL 2026. Shivam Dube (270 runs at a strike rate of 158.82 in 12 innings) and Dewald Brevis (151 runs at a strike rate of 127.96 in eight innings) also weren’t at their best this season.


“The mistake was in the auction as well” – Aakash Chopra on CSK’s IPL 2026 exit

Dewald Brevis was one of the two overseas batters in CSK's IPL 2026 squad (Image via X/@IPL)Dewald Brevis was one of the two overseas batters in CSK's IPL 2026 squad (Image via X/@IPL)
Dewald Brevis was one of the two overseas batters in CSK’s IPL 2026 squad (Image via X/@IPL)

In the same video, Aakash Chopra reckoned it wasn’t the youngsters’ mistake, highlighting that CSK had also erred in the IPL 2026 auction.

“In that interview, it seemed like it was the kids’ mistake. It wasn’t the kids’ mistake. The mistake was in the auction as well. You had two overseas batters, and they weren’t even like-for-like. You played with three overseas many times,” he said.

While acknowledging that Gaikwad might not have had enough time to reflect on the loss before the post-match interview, the cricketer-turned-commentator opined that his comment was odd.

“Plenty of problems that can be talked about later, but I found that one comment odd. Putting your responsibility on someone else is not the nicest way of doing things. You might not have got enough time to think about it post-match, you reacted suddenly, and you don’t mean it perfectly, but it still felt slightly odd as the kids have done decently. It wasn’t about them at all,” Chopra observed.

However, Aakash Chopra concurred with Ruturaj Gaikwad that the Chennai Super Kings were hit hard by injuries in IPL 2026. While terming CSK the ‘Chotil Super Kings’ because of the number of injuries they have endured, he pointed out that even Sanju Samson got injured while keeping in their last league game.

Advertisement