These are your latest rugby headlines on Monday, May 18.
Rugby world stunned by tragic news
Tributes have poured in for Scottish rugby legend Scott Hastings following his death at the age of 61.
The 65-cap centre, who toured twice with the British and Irish Lions, passed away “peacefully and pain free” in hospital in Edinburgh on Sunday. He revealed in 2022 that he had been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and died following complications with his cancer treatment, having “deteriorated extremely quickly”.
The tragic news, which comes less than two years after Hastings’ wife Jenny passed away in tragic circumstances, has left the world of rugby in shock, with Scotland head coaches past and present paying tribute to the hugely popular former international.
JOIN OUR WALES RUGBY FACEBOOK PAGE Latest news, analysis and much more
“Whatever jersey Scott wore, he just made it better,” said former Scotland and Lions boss Sir Ian McGeechan. “My association with Scott and his brother Gavin was always special for me because we came into the Scotland set-up, myself as coach, and Scott and Gavin as players, at the same time. We came in together and we grew together.
“I remember Scott on the Lions tours taking an absolute lead. He was so single-minded and determined about winning. He was very much your right-hand man, given what he did on the field.”
Scotland boss Gregor Townsend, a former teammate of Hastings, described him as an “iconic figure” in Scottish rugby, adding: “Scott always brought positivity and energy into everything he did from his playing career then into the past couple of decades as a widely travelled and respected commentator.
“His passing is a huge loss for Scottish rugby, and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and close friends. Rest in peace, Scott.”
Former Scotland international Kenny Logan said: “Scott was one of those guys who you could rely on to always put his hand up. His energy was incredible,” while Jim Hamilton described him as “one of life’s great men”.
Having found huge success as a broadcaster after his playing career, Hastings has also been remembered by ITV Sport, with the corporation “devastated” by the news.
ITV Director of Sport, Niall Sloane, added: “Scott was an exceptional rugby broadcaster and a dear colleague.
“Scott worked on every Rugby World Cup on ITV since 1999 and has been an important part of our team on the Six Nations. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.”
Wales internationals call for change
Former Wales Women internationals Philippa Tuttiett and Sioned Harries have called for changes to be made after Sean Lynn’s side finished bottom of the Six Nations table for the third year in a row.
A 43-24 defeat to Italy in Cardiff on Sunday condemned Wales to their second successive whitewash in the tournament, having won just one of their 15 Tests in all competitions under Lynn, who joined as head coach last year.
The under-pressure Wales boss admitted after the full-time whistle that his side had not been good enough against the Italians, with a tough review set to follow another disappointing campaign.
But for Tuttiett and Harries, while there have some been some flashes of progression over the course of recent weeks, changes are not being made fast enough, with Wales’ rivals starting to leave them behind.
“[Lynn] genuinely does believe in this team and he knows they’re on a journey and he knows it is going to take time,” Tuttiett said while on punditry duty for the BBC at the Arms Park. “Equally it is hard after loss, after loss.
“Changes are being made, more progressions are happening, but they are not happening quick enough. Other teams in Six Nations are progressing. Other teams in World Rugby are progressing.
“It is going to be another difficult review of this campaign. Players left it all out there. You can never doubt that. But something has got to change.”
Agreeing, Harries added: “You talked about… they’re on a journey. How long does one team have to be on a journey for? How long are you on that journey? I feel, at this point, we’re running out of excuses possibly.
“We still have the same player group, we don’t have the pool of players available to us as other nations – they are developing at a quicker pace – but we have got experienced players. There was a combined 542 caps in the starting 15 today.
“For me, I imagine for both of us being frustrated former players, how long are we on a journey?”
Leicester seal play-off spot
By PA Sport
Leicester secured a place in the Gallagher PREM play-offs with an emphatic 47-33 bonus-point victory at Sale that left them a point behind second-placed Bath.
Geoff Parling’s Tigers are shaping up as major title contenders and had too much quality for a Sharks side whose top-four hopes have long since ended.
Leicester captain Ollie Chessum opened the scoring but England team-mate Tom Roebuck replied for Sale before Jamie Blamire added a second try for the visitors. Tigers number eight Joaquin Moro and Sale flanker Jacques Vermeulen traded tries and Joe Heyes added a fourth for the visitors who went in at half-time with a 28-12 advantage.
The try-fest continued after the break as Leicester ran in further scores from Will Wand, Ollie Hassell-Collins and Archie van der Flier before Sale rallied in the final quarter. They touched down through captain Ernst van Rhyn, Sam Dugdale and Arron Reed to secure a losing bonus point but Leicester departed with their first win at Sale since 2018.
Alex Sanderson’s hosts were boosted by the return of England back-rower Tom Curry and scrum-half Raffi Quirke for their penultimate home game of the season.
Leicester’s starting line-up was unchanged from the team that beat Northampton last weekend. Heyes made his 100th start for the club while Hamish Watson and Olly Cracknell both returned to the bench.
It took Leicester less than two minutes to open the scoring as flanker Hanro Liebenberg broke down the left flank and found Hassell-Collins who in turn sent Chessum racing over the line.
Former Sale fly-half James O’Connor added the conversion but Sale hit back in the ninth minute when Roebuck dived over from close range. George Ford could not convert and Leicester, with their big pack driving them forward, scored twice more as the first half unfolded.
The first of those came in the 14th minute when Blamire was driven over the line from close range and eight minutes later they struck again with another forward-based try, this time Moro touching down from close range. Orlando Bailey, who replaced the injured O’Connor early on, converted both tries to put Leicester 21-5 ahead.
But Sale replied on the half-hour when Quirke’s quick penalty tap created the space for Vermeulen to thunder his way over the line from close range and Ford added the conversion.
Heyes touched down from close range and Bailey converted to make it 28-12 at the break. Wand then dived for their fifth, Hassell-Collins scored in the left corner from Adam Radwan’s long pass and Van der Flier added their seventh from close range.
Yet Sale refused to throw in the towel and scored close-range efforts through Van Rhyn, Dugdale and Reed to grab a bonus point on a day when they were largely outclassed.
Follow all of our channels to ensure you stay up to date with the latest Welsh rugby news. Sign up to our free daily newsletter here and our WhatsApp channel here for all the breaking news.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login