A Co Antrim school has said that their doors will remain locked and pupils kept indoors until they receive further guidance from the PSNI after a sinister email was sent to a number of schools in the area.
In a Facebook post, St Benedict’s College in Randalstown said that “the safety and wellbeing of our students and staff remains our highest priority”.
An email was sent to a number of schools overnight claiming that pipe bombs had been left inside and outside their premises and that the sender would be travelling to every school it had been sent to “armed with multiple guns and knives to attack and hurt as many people as possible”.
In their social media post, St Benedict’s College said: “You may be aware of social media reports regarding a security threat received by a number of schools in the Antrim area this morning.
“The PSNI has been informed and, at this stage, the matter is not being treated as a serious threat. However, it is being addressed at a senior level, and we will continue to follow all guidance provided.
“As a precaution, school doors will remain locked throughout the day as normal. Pupils will remain indoors until we receive further guidance from the PSNI.
“The safety and wellbeing of our students and staff remains our highest priority. We will keep parents informed and will notify you immediately should the situation change. Thank you for your patience and understanding.”
Mayor of Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council, Cllr Leah Kirkpatrick said: “A number of schools across the area have received a security threat this morning. The PSNI are aware and are not treating it as a credible threat.
“Schools have activated security procedures and are keeping doors locked throughout the day as a precaution. I understand this will undoubtedly cause worry and concern for parents. I want to reassure parents that PSNI are dealing with this and are liaising with local schools. Please check your school’s communications for updates.
“I cannot get my head around why anyone would feel the need to do something like this.”
SDLP Antrim Councillor Roisin Lynch condemned the threatening email sent to schools in the area.
Councillor Roisin Lynch said: “This threatening message and reports of a hoax attack have caused understandable fear and anxiety among school communities and families across Antrim. It was a deeply sinister act clearly designed to cause disruption and distress and it is difficult to understand what could motivate someone to target children, parents and school staff in this way.
“I welcome the swift response from police, emergency services and schools to reassure pupils and parents and ensure people’s safety. No parent should have to fear for their child’s safety when sending them to school and no young person should have their education disrupted by threats of this nature.
“I would encourage anyone with information to cooperate fully with the police investigation. I hope this incident is confirmed to be a hoax as soon as possible, the person behind this is apprehended and that school communities can return to normal without any further disruption or concern.”
A PSNI spokesperson said: “Police received reports today, Tuesday 19th May, of an email having been sent to multiple schools and businesses in the County Antrim area.
“Officers are investigating the contents included within this email, and are conducting a number of enquiries. Reassurance patrols have also been increased in the areas affected, in order help keep our communities safe. We would urge anyone to report anything suspicious to police on our 101 number, always 999 in an emergency.
“Police will also be engaging with anyone affected including schools, businesses and our partner agencies throughout the course of today as our enquiries continue.”
A spokesperson for the Education Authority (EA) added: “We are aware of an email that a number of schools in the Co Antrim area have received a threatening email.
“The PSNI are investigating the contents and are conducting a number of enquiries. They have also stepped up reassurance patrols in the area.
“The EA will continue to work to liaise with local schools and PSNI and would encourage everyone to continue to be vigilant and report anything suspicious to police immediately by calling 101, or 999 in an emergency.”
For all the latest news, visit the Belfast Live homepage here and sign up to our daily newsletter here.



You must be logged in to post a comment Login