Baye Bireme Fall, 16, was stabbed to death in April
Sam Russell, Press Association and Katie Green Senior multimedia reporter
12:42, 19 May 2026Updated 12:47, 19 May 2026
An 18-year-old man accused of the murder of a 16-year-old boy will stand trial later this year. Baye Bireme Fall was attacked near the Orton Centre shopping centre in Peterborough on April 12.
A post-mortem confirmed that he died of a single stab wound. Emidas Krutkevicius, 18, of Peterborough, and a 15-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were charged with Baye’s murder.
Krutkevicius appeared at Huntingdon Crown Court on Tuesday (May 19) and pleaded not guilty to murder. The 15-year-old was not asked to enter a plea.
Advertisement
Both defendants, who have been remanded, are due to stand trial at the same court on October 12.
“Milk, egg and bread prices could be frozen” the Times says, writing that it is part of Chancellor Rachel Reeves’s raft of new measures “to help with the cost of living, including scrapping plans to increase fuel duty by 5p from Setpember”. The grocery price cap also comes after the SNP announced similar plans in Scotland, “which would limit the price of up to 50 essential items, including bread, milk and cheese”.
Symptoms of meningitis include high temperature, severe headache, vomiting and confusion
Zahra Khaliq News Reporter and Husna Anjum Senior Live News Reporter
11:34, 19 May 2026
A junior school pupil has become the fourth person to contract meningitis in Reading, following the tragic death of a child last week. The child is among a group of students who contracted Meningitis B (MenB), including teenager Lewis Waters, from The Henley College in Oxfordshire, who died last week.
The Mirror reports two further patients being treated for the infection are pupils at separate schools in the area. They are Reading Blue Coat School and Highdown Secondary School and Sixth Form Centre.
Advertisement
Dr Rachel Mearkle, consultant in health protection at the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), said: “A fourth case of meningococcal disease has been confirmed in Reading.
“This fourth case has links with the same wider social network as the other cases, where measures, including antibiotic prophylaxis, have already been implemented.”
The individual, whose age has not been revealed, is a pupil at Westwood Farm Junior School and is recovering well, Dr Mearkle added.
“The risk to the wider public remains low and this case is not linked to the incidents in Kent or Dorset,” she said.
Advertisement
Sixth form pupil Lewis Waters “fought hard” after catching meningitis but developed sepsis and tragically died last week “within a few hours of feeling a bit ill,” his father Sean said.
In a social media post on Sean Waters paid tribute to his son and wrote: “Words simply can’t describe the heartbreak and upset we’re going through.” He added: “[Sean] fought hard and was really taken care of by the ICU [Intensive Care Unit] team, but they just couldn’t save him.”
He said his son was “funny, sociable and kind-hearted”, and “loved his sisters, friends and family dearly”, adding: “Life won’t be the same for many of us now that he’s gone.”
The latest cases of meningitis in Reading follow a major outbreak in Kent that killed two people and left more than a dozen others needing hospital treatment in March.
Advertisement
Eighteen-year-old student Juliette Kenny tragically died on March 14 following the outbreak in Kent – just a day after she first started showing symptoms of meningitis.
Juliette was a year 13 student at Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School in Faversham, and was described by her father Michael Kenny as “fit, healthy and strong” before her death.
An unnamed 21-year-old University of Kent student also died in the outbreak in March.
Meningitis can affect anyone but babies, young children, teenagers and university students are considered among the groups most at risk due to close contact in schools, nurseries and shared accommodation.
Advertisement
Symptoms can appear suddenly and in any order, according to the NHS, but some symptoms may not appear at all.
They include a high temperature, severe headache, vomiting, confusion, drowsiness, a stiff neck, sensitivity to light, cold hands and feet, severe muscle pain and a rash that does not fade under pressure.
Police have cordoned off an area in Manchester’s Piccadilly Gardens following reports of a suspected stabbing, with witnesses reporting multiple people allegedly injured
01:24, 20 May 2026Updated 01:24, 20 May 2026
A major armed police operation has descended on Manchester City Centre following reports of a ‘suspected stabbing’.
Greater Manchester Police sealed off an area near Superdrug in Piccadilly Gardens on Tuesday evening, May 19.
A police helicopter was also hovering overhead for at least forty minutes, reportedly hunting for those involved.
Advertisement
Witnesses have claimed that multiple people had been stabbed, though this has yet to be confirmed by Greater Manchester Police.
A male was spotted being rushed into an ambulance as the city centre saw a massive emergency services presence.
With roads shut and cordons established, medical debris can be spotted scattered on the ground with bloodied bandages visible inside the blue tape.
CID officers also arrived at the scene.
Manchester Evening News have contacted Greater Manchester Police for further comment.
Lee Andrews’ mum Trisha has issued a heartbreaking plea to the ‘kidnapper’ for his return
Jordan Lloyd Beck and Georgia Burns Trainee Trends, Showbiz and Lifestyle Writer
23:02, 19 May 2026
Lee Andrews’ mum has made a heartbreaking appeal to the “kidnappers” she believes may be holding her son captive. The Dubai-based businessman married former glamour model Katie Price in January, just a fortnight after the pair first met, and the couple have rarely been out of the spotlight since.
Late last week, Katie and Lee were scheduled to appear together on Good Morning Britain for what would have been their first joint TV interview, however Katie was left to face the cameras alone after Lee failed to board a flight from The UAE.
Katie has had no contact with her husband since Thursday, and his location has remained a mystery ever since. As the days passed, she insisted he had been kidnapped, and a missing persons report was subsequently filed.
Advertisement
Now his mother, Trisha, has spoken out, pleading: “Please bring my son back.” Katie had initially claimed in a video shared on social media that Lee was in a van with “ties around his hand when she last spoken to him.
When asked whether she believed her son had been kidnapped, Trisha told The Sun: “I don’t know, he could have been. I’ve not seen the video. I don’t know the laws out there but I wouldn’t have thought they’d use cables. Wouldn’t they put handcuffs on?”
Trisha, who works as a travelling medium performing readings, also suggested her daughter-in-law shares “too much” on social media. She added: “I think she’s exploiting in general, that’s what I meant She’s always putting things on [social media] isn’t she? As I said, I get on with Katie. She puts too much on [social media].”
Advertisement
Trisha went on to claim Lee has been living in Dubai for over 20 years, with her last visit to him being approximately six years ago, and she hasn’t seen him since he was last in the UK around 2022.
Throughout the ordeal, Katie has been swift to hit back at those suggesting the entire situation is nothing more than a publicity stunt, the Mirror reports.
In a recent video, Katie faced the camera and opened up about how difficult she was finding things. She said: “Hey everyone, I’m here to do an update about Lee. This is a really difficult time for me at the moment. It’s been five days since I’ve heard anything from Lee. None of his family have heard anything, his dad is out in Dubai and he’s heard nothing.”
She revealed Lee had been reported missing to the British Embassy – with the Foreign Office confirming they are “supporting the family of a British man” – and her “anxiety levels are sky high”.
Advertisement
Katie then made a heartfelt plea to her followers, continuing: “If there’s anyone in Dubai or you know anyone in Dubai and you spot him or see him… I don’t know because I don’t know where he is. Because the last thing I know, his hands were tied and he had a hood over his head and he was in the back of a van.”
The star also expressed her gratitude to those who have shown their support, including fans, family and friends. “All I can do is look after myself and my head and get on with each day as I can,” she said.
“Because I still have to get on with life. I want to thank everyone for their kind messages. I’m a tough girl. I’m a survivor but I’ve never been in a situation like this.
Advertisement
“No one needs to worry about me, I always keep my head mind body and soul in check as I have done for a long time but it’s just the unknown and the anxiety because I just don’t know where he is. It is distressing.”
Massie, who has been in office since 2012, broke with Trump by voting against his “big, beautiful” tax and spending legislation last year over concerns about the national debt. He has also voted to curtail Trump’s attacks on suspected drug boats in the Caribbean and his ongoing war in Iran.
However, Arsenal have since won four Premier League games in a row to fight back from that wobble and celebrate a title triumph for the first time since the famous ‘Invincibles’ side of 2003/04 under Arsene Wenger, with the Champions League final against holders Paris Saint-Germain to come in Budapest on May 30.
Wanderers take on Stockport County on Sunday 24 May, kick-off 1pm, but engineering works and huge travelling support means that getting down to the capital by train is set to be a nightmare for fans making the trip.
Wembley Stadium (Image: PA)
Network Rail is carrying out upgrade works between Wigan and Warrington on the day of the match, which will have a significant knock-on effect for Avanti West Coast services on the West Coast Main Line, the key route from Bolton and Manchester to London Euston.
As a result of the works, Avanti’s Scotland services will divert via Manchester Piccadilly without making a normal stop there, significantly reducing the number of trains available from Manchester Piccadilly to London ahead of the early kick-off.
Bolton Wanderers Football club warned in an official statement: “There will be a very limited train service that can get Bolton Wanderers fans to London in time for the early kick off, and given the estimated number of fans expected to travel and journeys being uncomfortable due to extremely busy trains, we are advising you to avoid using rail to get to London.”
Advertisement
Trains will not call at Warrington Bank Quay or Wigan North Western, with rail replacement buses operating between those stations and Crewe.
London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly services are also set to be reduced to just two trains per hour in each direction throughout the day.
The club has confirmed there will be trains available after the final whistle for the return journey back to Bolton via Manchester or Preston.
Fans wishing to travel by rail are therefore advised to head to London on Saturday 23 May instead.
Advertisement
For those who haven’t already secured a seat, there are several coach travel options available though some are filling up fast.
Bolton Wanderers’ official club coaches have officially now sold out.
Fans still looking for travel options are in luck, with both Coach Innovations and National Express continuing to sell seats available.
Coach Innovations is offering standard return coaches at £55 per person, departing Bolton Train Station on Trinity Street at 6am, with tickets available at coachinnovations.co.uk, though the company’s premium Club Class option has already sold out.
Advertisement
Meanwhile, National Express is running a dedicated Wembley Express service for the final, with adult returns priced at £60, dropping fans directly at the stadium gates in time for an 11am arrival.
Fans travelling by car can pre-book a parking space at Wembley via wembleyofficialparking.com, with prices set at £50 per car, £25 for Blue Badge holders, and £120 for coaches. Prices may rise on the day.
Work is underway ahead of the May Bank Holiday weekend for the return of the Belfast Spring Market.
Advertisement
On the grounds of Belfast City Hall, over 70 traders will once again be offering a great selection of products from across the globe during the five-day market event.
The market will once again offer food enthusiasts, families, and everyday explorers the very best international cuisine, artisanal products, and handmade goods, operated by the team behind the famous Belfast Christmas Market.
The market is free to attend and open to all ages.
Advertisement
A Belfast City Council spokesperson said: “Traders sell a vibrant mix of global street food, artisan crafts and unique gifts.
“Visitors can enjoy a delicious range of international flavours, including spicy Mexican burritos, mini Dutch pancakes, freshly cooked paella and savoury continental pastries.
“The market also has a wide selection of arts, crafts and handcrafted goods. Browse original artwork, colourful flowers and artisan products, including handmade soaps and locally produced items.”
When is the Spring Continental Market in Belfast?
Traders will be showcasing an array of tantalising flavours from across the globe and unique handcrafted gifts, during the five-day event, which will open to customers from Thursday, May 21 to Monday, May 25.
Advertisement
What are the Spring Continental Market Belfast opening hours?
The Spring Continental Market at City Hall runs from Thursday 21 to Monday 25 May and will be open from:
He allegedly told police outside the gates to 10 Downing Street that he had a bomb in his rucksack
Mathilde Grandjean, Press Association and Cait Findlay Content Editor
12:00, 19 May 2026
A man charged over an alleged bomb hoax outside the gates to 10 Downing Street has denied the offence in court.
Stephen Abbott, 59, allegedly told police he carried a bomb in his rucksack while he stood in Whitehall outside the gates to No 10 on October 15 last year, a court has heard.
Abbott pleaded not guilty at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday to a single charge of communicating to police information which he knew or believed to be false, with the intention of inducing in that person or any other person a false belief.
Advertisement
Prosecutor Rizwan Amin told the hearing: “The agreed facts are that Mr Abbott attended the gates at Downing Street, shouting, protesting. In short, he was alleged to make comments about Tony Blair and subsequently claimed to have a bomb in his rucksack.”
Senior District Judge Paul Goldspring told the hearing the case was “clearly not suitable for summary trial”. “It should go to the Bailey given its profile,” he added.
Abbott, of Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, is to appear at the Old Bailey on June 16. He was granted bail on condition that he does not go within 100 metres of Downing Street.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login