Connect with us
DAPA Banner
DAPA Coin
DAPA
COIN PAYMENT ASSET
PRIVACY · BLOCKDAG · HOMOMORPHIC ENCRYPTION · RUST
ElGamal Encrypted MINE DAPA
🚫 GENESIS SOLD OUT
DAPAPAY COMING

Sports

‘Si-Pons’ tandem to stay focused on Asiad beach volley prep, out for PVL on Tour

Published

on

Alas Pilipinas Sisi Rondina and Bernadeth Pons in action during the Volleyball World Beach Pro Tour Nuvali Challenge.

Alas Pilipinas Sisi Rondina and Bernadeth Pons in action during the Volleyball World Beach Pro Tour Nuvali Challenge. –MARLO CUETO/INQUIRER.net

SANTA ROSA, Laguna—Sisi Rondina and Bernadeth Pons are prioritizing the Philippine bid in the 2026 Asian Games by opting to stay with Alas Pilipinas beach volleyball squad instead of returning to their respective Premier Volleyball League squads for the next conference.

With the Asian Games in Aichi-Nagoya set from Sept. 19 to Oct. 4 in Japan, the Southeast Asian Games gold medalists said their focus is now on gaining more international exposure and experience through overseas tournaments as part of their buildup for the continental meet.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

“I’m thankful to our (team) managements for allowing us to focus on beach volleyball until after the Asian Games,” Pons said. “We’re really looking forward to the tournaments we’ll be joining abroad because they’ll give us more exposure and experience to further improve our game as preparation for the Asian Games.”

Rondina and Pons will miss the PVL on Tour and will return to their respective club teams in the Reinforced Conference, with Rebisco—which owns Choco Mucho, where Rondina plays, and Creamline—giving them clearance and full support to represent the country on the sands.

“We’re still really looking forward to the positive things and the experience we’ll gain from joining international tournaments,” Rondina said. “We’ll continue training and preparing for everything we need to work on. Our biggest goal is really the Asian Games.

“Right now, we’re just waiting and praying that everything pushes through as planned.”

Advertisement
Article continues after this advertisement

Pons and Rondina missed the Round of 24 in the Volleyball World Beach Pro Tour Nuvali Challenge after a heartbreaking 20-22, 22-24 loss to Switzerland’s Annique Niederhauser and Menia Bentele on Thursday at Nuvali Sands Courts. But they remain proud of their run against world-class players.

Alas men Ranran Abdilla and Ronniel Rosales couldn’t finish their Nuvali Challenge campaign, as Rosales had a sudden spike in blood pressure at the start of the second set and eventually gave up a 21-10, 3-2 result to Hagen Smith and Ryan Ierna.

Abdilla said that their team decided to withdraw from the do-or-die match as a precaution for Rosales, handing the walkover win to England’s Frederick Bialokoz and Issa Batrane.

Advertisement
Article continues after this advertisement

“We already talked about it, and of course, this wasn’t something we wanted to happen. Situations like this really happen sometimes,” said Abdilla. “Actually, I experienced something similar last year, too. So I think it’s really about acceptance and learning from it.”



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.


Your subscription has been successful.
Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Victor Wembanyama unanimous pick for NBA All-Defensive team

Published

on

NBA Playoffs Victor Wembanyama Spurs vs ThunderNBA Playoffs Victor Wembanyama Spurs vs Thunder

San Antonio Spurs forward Victor Wembanyama (1) blocks a shot by Oklahoma City Thunder center Isaiah Hartenstein (55) during the first half of Game 2 in the Western Conference finals NBA basketball playoffs series Wednesday, May 20, 2026, in Oklahoma City. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)

NEW YORK — Victor Wembanyama was the unanimous pick as Defensive Player of the Year this season, and the only unanimous All-Defensive team selection as well.

The San Antonio star — as expected, given how the DPOY voting went — appeared on all 100 first-team ballots and made first-team All-Defense for the second time in his three NBA seasons. The team was announced Friday night.

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: NBA Playoffs: Wembanyama says Game 4 will show what Spurs are made of

Oklahoma City’s Chet Holmgren, Detroit’s Ausar Thompson, Minnesota’s Rudy Gobert and Boston’s Derrick White rounded out the first team. Gobert is now a nine-time All-Defensive team pick, while Holmgren, Thompson and White were all first-time selections to the first team.

Advertisement

The second team was Toronto’s Scottie Barnes, Oklahoma City’s Cason Wallace, Miami’s Bam Adebayo, New York’s OG Anunoby and Atlanta’s Dyson Daniels.

Gobert and Daniels are the only players that have made the All-Defensive team in each of the last two seasons.



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.


Your subscription has been successful.
Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Usyk vs Rico: Tony Bellew, Eddie Hearn and Terence Crawford give predictions for world title fight

Published

on

Oleksandr Usyk defends his WBC world title against Rico Verhoeven on Saturday in Egypt.

The fight is unusual in location as in nature, with kickboxing world champion Verhoeven getting a title shot in just his second boxing fight – and first since 2014.

The 37-year-old Dutchman is aiming to pull off arguably the biggest upset in the sport’s history.

Ukrainian Usyk, 39, is aiming to continue his near 17-year winning streak.

Advertisement

Will we see an underdog win for the ages or will Usyk’s dominance continue?

BBC Sport asks the boxing world for their predictions.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Sidney Crosby optimistic abut Evgeni Malkin’s future after contract talks “in a good place” with Penguins

Published

on

Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby delivered a hopeful message about the future of his longtime teammate Evgeni Malkin, saying recent contract discussions between the organization and the veteran center have reached a promising stage.

Speaking from the World Championship in Switzerland, Crosby indicated that the end-of-season conversations left him feeling encouraged about Malkin’s chances of staying in Pittsburgh.

Evgeni Malkin will turn 40 this summer and is slated to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

“I’ve just always expected to be playing with him,” Crosby said via NY Times. “After talking with everyone at the end of the year, it felt like it was in a good place in terms of getting something done.

He also expressed a preference for resolving the situation sooner rather than later, referencing past negotiations that dragged into the summer and created unnecessary uncertainty.

Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin have been central to the Penguins’ success for nearly two decades, arriving as young phenoms in the mid-2000s and anchoring three Stanley Cup championship teams.

Crosby has made no secret of his desire to continue their on-ice partnership, describing their connection as one that goes far beyond hockey. Penguins general manager Kyle Dubas has previously voiced the organization’s interest in retaining Malkin.

Advertisement

With the team coming off another early playoff exit, a short-term deal for the veteran forward appears to be the most likely path to take as Pittsburgh tries to blend its veteran leadership with younger players moving up the roster.

Sidney Crosby clears the air around retirement speculation

Sidney Crosby made it clear he has no immediate thoughts of hanging up his skates. The 38-year-old superstar addressed ongoing speculation about his future:

“Not at all… I said year to year because of where the team is at,” he said. “It just makes sense, whether it’s our cap, who we have coming in and out, just to have that flexibility. It’s important,” Crosby said via NY Times.

He added:

“Yeah, I’m saying year to year based on contracts,” he explained. “It just seems to make sense. I mean, it could change. We’ll see. Kyle (Dubas) and I haven’t even talked about it. But I’ll talk with Pat (Brisson) and Kyle later this summer. We’ll talk about it and do what makes sense. If it does make sense to sign for a couple of years, then we’ll do that.”

Meanwhile, Sidney Crosby and Team Canada are atop the Group B standings with 14 points at the World Championship. Their next game is against Slovakia on Sunday.

Advertisement