Connect with us

Business

Peter Schiff says US economy now ‘worse’ than back when Biden departed office

Published

on

Peter Schiff says US economy now 'worse' than back when Biden departed office

The U.S. economy is currently “worse” than when former President Joe Biden departed office last year, economic and political commentator Peter Schiff asserted, warning that the nation faces the “threat” of a Democratic socialist winning the White House during the 2028 presidential election.

President Donald Trump is “unpopular because the economy is worse now than it was when Biden left office,” Schiff, chief economist and global strategist of Euro Pacific Asset Management and host of “The Peter Schiff Show” podcast, told Fox News Digital during an interview on Wednesday. 

Advertisement

“So Trump ran promising to fix what Biden broke,” but then “broke it more,” Schiff asserted. 

“He said that prices will come down on day one as soon as I become president,” Schiff said, adding “inflation is a bigger problem now than it was when Trump was elected.”

Fox News Digital reached out to the White House on Thursday.

TRUMP’S APPROVAL RATING PLUMMETS TO NEW LOW AHEAD OF CRITICAL MIDTERMS: ‘MORE WORK TO DO’

Advertisement
Left: Peter Schiff; Right: President Donald Trump

Left: Peter Schiff during the London Blockchain Conference at The Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre on June 2, 2023, in London; Right: President Donald Trump gestures as he boards Air Force One on Aug. 9, 2026, at Morristown Airport in Morristown, (Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images for London Blockchain Conference; Eric Lee/Getty Images)

While Republicans currently hold majorities in both chambers of Congress, Schiff said that he thinks the GOP will lose many House seats in the midterm elections this year and that they “have a real chance of losing the Senate too.”

Schiff said he expects the party to lose control of the Senate in 2028 if they haven’t lost their majority in the chamber before then and that he thinks the GOP will lose the presidency in 2028 as well. He warned that “the real threat” looming over the 2028 White House contest is the possibility of “a real Democratic socialist” getting elected as president.

Schiff, who is involved in selling precious metals through SchiffGold, made a case for people buying gold and silver. “Buy real money that will preserve its purchasing power,” he said.

HOW MUCH HAS THE NATIONAL DEBT GROWN UNDER PRESIDENT TRUMP?

Advertisement
$100 bills

U.S. one hundred dollar bills are shown in this picture illustration in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on March 10, 2025. (Matias Baglietto/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

He argued that investors should be “diversifying into stocks in international markets” to protect against “a weak U.S. dollar.”

Schiff said “stagflation” will “be a big problem for the U.S. economy for years to come,” warning of a “crisis” pertaining to “sovereign debt” as well as “currency.”

“But I want people to understand that this is not about a failure of capitalism. It’s about a failure to have capitalism. It’s a failure of central planning, central government, central banking. It’s big government that interfered with the free market that created the problem. And the solutions that are gonna be proposed by government to increase the size of government, to have even more regulation, to have even more taxes, they will just make all the problems worse,” Schiff said.

Advertisement

The U.S. national debt has surpassed $40 trillion, according to the U.S. Treasury.

“We need to rein in government. We need massive cuts to government spending, deregulation, we need free market forces,” he said.

US NATIONAL DEBT HITS $40 TRILLION MILESTONE FOR FIRST TIME EVER

U.S. Capitol building

The U.S. Capitol building is seen at sunset on Aug. 12, 2026, in Washington, D.C.  (Kevin Carter/Getty Images)

GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO BY CLICKING HERE

Advertisement

Schiff said, “Republicans are in a predicament because doing the right thing economically is probably political suicide, which is why they won’t do it.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Business

Treasury Department blocks ESG funds from Trump Accounts investments

Published

on

Bessent warns China over rare earth minerals and AI model IP theft

The Treasury Department on Thursday moved forward with new rules for investments in Trump Accounts that aim to exclude investment funds rooted in environmental, social and governance (ESG) criteria, FOX Business has learned.

The rules restricting ESG funds from being included in Trump Accounts come alongside other rules ensuring that investment options in the accounts have low fees to ensure investors keep more of their money.

Advertisement

“Corporate America has rejected ESG ideology, and we will not allow it to be a part of Trump Accounts,” Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent told FOX Business in a statement.

“These accounts exist to build financial security for America’s children, not to advance political activism or ideological agendas,” Bessent added.

WHITE HOUSE UNVEILS TRUMP ACCOUNTS MOBILE APP AHEAD OF JULY 4 ROLLOUT

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent speaks with reporters in Paris

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent told FOX Business the ESG restriction will help protect investors. (Reuters/Abdul Saboor/File Photo)

A Treasury Department official told FOX Business that under the proposed eligibility framework, an index would have to be designed primarily to measure the performance of a broad segment of the U.S. or global equity market using objective financial criteria.

Advertisement

The rule is intended to give families clear, transparent investment choices that are focused on cost, diversification and long-term financial performance.

ESG funds have faced criticism for their focus on other criteria, like the environmental and social policies of companies or their governance structures, ahead of investor returns.

WHAT ARE THE INVESTMENT OPTIONS FOR TRUMP ACCOUNTS?

Trump Accounts app

The Trump Accounts app features eight exclusive financial literacy modules. (U.S. Department of the Treasury)

Trump Accounts officially launched on July 4, and a Treasury spokeswoman said that in the month and a half since the launch, the number of families who have signed up for Trump Accounts has risen above 7 million.

Advertisement

Over 2 million of those who have enrolled to date are eligible for the $1,000 seed fund from the federal government, which is available for children born between the start of 2025 and end of 2028 under the One Big Beautiful Bill Act.

Trump Accounts may also be created for children under the age of 18, although those who were born outside the 2025 to 2028 window aren’t eligible for the government’s seed money.

MICHAEL DELL CELEBRATES AMERICA’S 250TH BIRTHDAY WITH GIFT TO SEED THE AMERICAN DREAM FOR MILLIONS OF KIDS

CEO of Dell Technologies Michael Dell and his wife Susan Dell announce an investment in the 'Trump accounts.'

Michael and Susan Dell announced a $6.25 billion contribution to seed Trump Accounts belonging to children under the age of 10. (Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/ AFP/Getty Images)

The Treasury spokeswoman also noted that since the launch there has been over $1.5 billion in investment contributions from individuals as well as contributions from pilot programs.

Advertisement

That figure doesn’t include philanthropic contributions, such as the $6.25 billion contributed by billionaires Michael and Susan Dell, who helped fund $250 initial seed deposits into accounts for children under age 10.

GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO BY CLICKING HERE

Continue Reading

Business

Aurora Innovation, Inc. (AUR) Discusses AI Advancements, Commoditization Concerns, and Defensibility in Autonomous Trucking Transcript

Published

on

OneWater Marine Inc. (ONEW) Q1 2026 Earnings Call Transcript