Connect with us

Sports

What does Savinho’s £75m move reveal about Man City’s multi-club model?

Published

on

In January, BBC Sport highlighted how Manchester City, as a separate entity, has turned selling players nurtured in their academy into big business.

Morgan Rogers, Douglas Luiz, Cole Palmer, Liam Delap and Oscar Bobb are among the players developed by City to have been sold on and are now playing, or have played, for rival Premier League sides.

City have recouped more than £250m from selling young players over the past five years alone.

“To find a balance between recruiting players for sporting success and ones that could become more of an asset in the future is difficult,” explained Marwood.

Advertisement

“One of the hardest bits about signing young players is that you don’t know an awful lot about them but some will come in, adapt, work hard, have ambition and aspiration and go on and have fantastic careers.

“Oleksandr Zinchenko is a prime example. Taty Castellanos is another. So is Jack Harrison.”

Invariably, CFG is not always on point with its talent identification of young talent. Some will make it, some will not. That’s the nature of the player recruitment beast.

The success of Rogers and Palmer, with Aston Villa and Chelsea, has shown that City have sometimes have sold too soon.

Advertisement

Former Aston Villa forward Rogers was sold by Manchester City to Middlesborough in February 2024 for an initial fee of £8m. Last month Chelsea paid £117m for him.

Palmer – sold by City for £40m in 2023 – would demand a similar fee if he were to leave Stamford Bridge.

But as Savinho takes the next step in his career, City are turning their attentions to the future.

There are high hopes for Ryan McAidoo, an 18-year-old at City who has already made his senior debut for the club.

Advertisement

Japan’s Shin Miidera, a 16-year-old attacker playing for partner club Yokohama F. Marinos, is another CFG are monitoring very closely.

Then there is 16-year-old American midfielder Cavan Sullivan, who currently plays for MLS club Philadelphia Union, but will join Manchester City when he turns 18.

Vitor Reiss – who spent last season on loan to Girona from City – is tipped to make the grade.

“In an ideal world you would love for them to stay with you from the beginning right through to the very end – but the reality is it’s probably not going to happen,” added Marwood.

Advertisement

“The challenge is can we produce the next one? OK- Savinho’s gone – but where is the next one? That’s the fascination of this business, you have to look three and four years ahead.

“It’s important we grow this hub of young talent and hopefully find them pathways and produce a conveyor belt of talent and use our network of clubs to aid there development.”

The measure of their success will be judged on the pitch and on the books.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Milton makes case for Cowboys’ backup job in win over Cardinals

Published

on

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Joe Milton had another good day in his quest to become the Dallas Cowboys’ backup quarterback. Coach Brian Schottenheimer says there’s still work to be done.

The third-year player — who is battling Sam Howell for the No. 2 role behind Dak Prescott — threw two touchdown passes and ran for a score in a second straight impressive preseason effort, sparking the Cowboys to a 34-13 victory over the Arizona Cardinals on Saturday night.

“This is long from over,” Schottenheimer said about the backup quarterback competition. “We’re going back to Frisco, thankfully, get a chance to be home and put some more training camp days in. You’ve got to give Joe his credit, he’s played really well the past two games, but we have a lot of confidence in Sam as well.”

Milton finished 9-of-13 passing for 176 yards, connecting on a 53-yard touchdown pass to Jonathan Mingo and a 70-yard strike to Camden Brown that set up Milton’s 1-yard touchdown run a play later. The play to Mingo was perfectly executed, with the receiver making a double move before Milton hit him in stride down the left sideline.

Advertisement

“This game is about to being able to control the RPMs of the football and throw it with different speeds and touches,” Schottenheimer said. “He’s done that at a very high level.”

Dallas built a 24-6 lead by halftime. Jaydon Blue ran for 75 yards on 15 carries.

The 26-year-old Milton was a sixth-round pick by New England in 2024. He played in four regular-season games with Dallas last season, throwing for 183 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions.

Howell completed 7 of 10 passes for 65 yards in the second half, but also threw an interception in the end zone. He started all 17 games with Washington in 2023 and was with Philadelphia last season but didn’t appear in any regular-season games.

Advertisement

Both teams rested most of their starters.

Arizona’s Gardner Minshew completed 19 of 23 passes for 177 yards, playing the entire first half and the first series of the second half. He’s expected to be Jacoby Brissett’s backup this season.

Dallas defence shines early

Cowboys cornerback Shavon Revel picked off Minshew’s pass midway through the first quarter after receiver Simi Fehoko slipped on the route. Revel returned the ball 22 yards to the Arizona 12.

Advertisement

Three plays later, Milton escaped from the pocket, rolled out to his left and hit Malik Davis for an 8-yard touchdown pass and a 7-0 lead.

Revel is in his second season after being drafted by the Cowboys in the third round out of East Carolina in 2025. He played in seven games last year, starting five.

Cowboys rookie linebacker Jaishawn Barham also had an early tackle for loss.

Penalty problems for Cardinals

Advertisement

The Cardinals had two touchdowns called back on the same drive when receiver Rivaldo Fairweather was flagged for a pair of penalties. Fairweather was called for offensive holding on the first play and offensive pass interference on the second.

Arizona had a to settle for a 38-yard field goal from Chad Ryland, which cut the deficit to 14-3.

Later in the first half, the Cardinals were called for a false start at the Dallas 1-yard line. Minshew was sacked on the next play and Ryland kicked a 31-yard field goal.

“It was the culmination of our week — we had a sloppy week of practice,” coach Mike LaFleur said. “I don’t think we’ve practiced really well over the last week since Vegas. There have been individuals who have practiced well, there’s been times where we’ve done good things, but overall it wasn’t good enough.

Advertisement

“This — tonight — was a summary of that week in general.”

Cardinals safety Dadrion Taylor-Demerson (ribs) left late in the first quarter after delivering a big hit on Cowboys tight end Zack Kuntz. Taylor-Demerson was called for a personal foul on the play. … Cowboys safety Julius Wood left in the third quarter with a concussion.

Cowboys: Host New Orleans on Friday night.

Cardinals: At Green Bay on Friday night.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

NFL Latest (Aug. 22)

Published

on

NFL Latest (Aug. 22)

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Viral Police Arrest Video Shows Latest WNBA D**do Thrower in Luka Doncic Jersey After He Receives Lifetime NBA-WNBA Ban

Published

on

WNBA games have often been disrupted by fans throwing s*x toys on the hardwood, with the perpetrators usually never getting caught. However, an offender was finally caught on Friday, as a clip of him being arrested in a Luka Doncic jersey quickly went viral online.

Brick Center shared the video of the suspect’s arrest on X (formerly Twitter) and reported that he was banned from NBA and WNBA games.

“The latest WNBA d*ldo thrower has been arrested and banned from all NBA/WNBA games,” Brick Center captioned the post.

Advertisement

In the clip, three police officers appeared to be handcuffing the reported suspect, who was donning a white Luka Doncic Lakers jersey. The perpetrator was arrested for disrupting the matchup between the Atlanta Dream and the LA Sparks after throwing a green d*ldo on the court at the Crypto.com Arena.

While the suspect was caught on Friday, this didn’t stop the incident from recurring a day later, with three d*ldos being flung onto the court during the game between the Golden State Valkyries and the Chicago Sky.

Although the practice continues to plague the WNBA, Friday’s arrest represents a step in the right direction, as the man in the Doncic jersey is allegedly the first person to be apprehended for throwing a sex toy onto the court.

Chicago Sky guard slams “men” for throwing d*ldos onto the court during WNBA games

After the game between the Golden State Valkyries and the Chicago Sky was disrupted with three d*ldos being thrown onto the court on Friday, veteran guard Natasha Cloud didn’t hold back while addressing the incident.

Advertisement

Cloud slammed the act during the post-game interview, claiming that it was usually “men” behind such heinous acts before describing it as the “gayest thing.”

“In most of these occasions, it’s men. And I want you to know that the gayest thing that you can do is go to a s*x shop, buy a d*ldo, come to a women’s game to throw the d*ldo on the court,” Cloud said.

“That is the gayest s*** that I’ve ever heard. So I’m a firm believer in anyone that has so much problem with a certain marginalized group, just come out and say that you’re a part of our marginalized group because that hate is unwarranted. It’s not factual.”

While Cloud criticized the trend of throwing objects onto the court, her decision to single out male fans earned her backlash.

Read More:

“He Tried To Finesse Me”: Ally D Hits Back at Anthony Edwards Following $14,000 Monthly Child Support Ruling

Advertisement

“Let your family cash out in peace” – Jason Whitlock Rips Into Jeanie Buss For Dragging Siblings In Explosive Lakers Ownership Dispute