Connect with us

Sports

Lando Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix

Published

on

McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain reacts after winning the pole position in the qualifying for the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort , Netherlands, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026.McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain reacts after winning the pole position in the qualifying for the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort , Netherlands, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026.

McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain reacts after winning the pole position in the qualifying for the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort , Netherlands, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Darko Bandic)

McLaren driver Lando Norris won pole position for Sunday’s Dutch Grand Prix, the current world champion pipping Mercedes rivals George Russell and Kimi Antonelli into second and third place.

The British driver set a time of one minute and 11.163 seconds, 0.102 seconds faster than compatriot Russell, to take a critical advantage into the Grand Prix race on Sunday.

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: F1: McLaren boss glad of ‘harmony’ between Norris, Piastri

Advertisement

“Best lap of my life,” said a pumped-up Norris, who had earlier complained his McLaren was lacking pace after being beaten into third in the sprint race earlier Saturday.

“I just had to commit through everything because I knew how close it was going to be,” added the 26-year-old, who is enjoying a run of good form having won the Hungarian Grand Prix before the summer break.

Russell had been the quickest driver all weekend but was forced into second place on the grid on the last qualifying lap that was affected by light rain.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

“I was on a very strong lap, to be honest. And then I just had a small oversteer in turn eight” that cost him the vital tenth of a second, said Russell.

READ: F1: Lando Norris grabs first race win of season in Hungarian GP

World championship leader Antonelli will start from third on the grid, ruing a difficult qualifying session with an error in turn one costing him a few crucial tenths of a second.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

The teenage sensation set the pace in the first half of the season, winning six races, including a stunning run of five consecutive Grand Prix.

But the chasing pack has closed in fast, with McLaren in particular bringing upgrades to their car that have brought them into contention.

“It was a very good wake-up call this weekend that you can never lower your guard,” said Antonelli, who turns 20 next week.

Oscar Piastri, who took the chequered flag last year at Zandvoort, qualified fourth, ahead of the two Ferraris driven by Charles Leclerc and seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton.

Advertisement

Despite raucous home support, local favourite Max Verstappen was unable to make an impact and will start seventh on the grid.

 ‘Real fight’

Frome the left, second-placed Mercedes driver George Russell of Britain, first-placed McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain and third-placed Mercedes driver Andrea Kimi Antonelli of Italy stand on the podium after the qualifying for the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort , Netherlands, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026.Frome the left, second-placed Mercedes driver George Russell of Britain, first-placed McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain and third-placed Mercedes driver Andrea Kimi Antonelli of Italy stand on the podium after the qualifying for the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort , Netherlands, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026.

Frome the left, second-placed Mercedes driver George Russell of Britain, first-placed McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain and third-placed Mercedes driver Andrea Kimi Antonelli of Italy stand on the podium after the qualifying for the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort , Netherlands, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Darko Bandic)

Sunday’s race promises to be a nail-biter, with just a few tenths of a second separating the top four or five drivers.

Starting on pole, however, will be a major advantage for Norris.

Since Zandvoort returned to the Grand Prix calendar in 2021, the pole-setter has won every time given the difficulty of overtaking on the unique track.

Advertisement

“We have a real fight on our hands these days,” said Russell after triumphing in the sprint.

“I think that’s quite fun and that’s how Formula One should be. It shouldn’t just be two teammates going for race wins week in week out. Everybody should be in with a shot,” he added.

Ferrari will also challenge on Sunday. Leclerc overhauled Norris in the sprint and Hamilton will be aiming to take a chunk out of Antonelli’s 53-point championship lead.

McLaren, who have won here for the past two editions, will also be in the mix and it would be a brave punter who rules out four-time world champion Max Verstappen — especially not at his “home” Grand Prix.

Advertisement

The “orange army” roaring him on will hope he can produce a miracle in his Red Bull that has been off the pace so far this season.

Sunday’s Grand Prix will be the last edition for the Dutch since the Zandvoort circuit.

Despite attracting big crowds eager to see Verstappen, promoters have pulled the plug, saying the financial risks were too great.

Fears that Verstappen, who has made little secret of his dislike of the 2026 regulations, could quit the sport played a part in the decision to pull the plug on Zandvoort.

Advertisement


Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.


Your subscription has been successful.

But ironically, as the teams were setting up for the last Dutch Grand Prix, Verstappen announced he had extended his contract with Red Bull until 2030, guaranteeing his future and Dutch interest in the sport.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

NFL Latest (Aug. 22)

Published

on

NFL Latest (Aug. 22)

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Viral Police Arrest Video Shows Latest WNBA D**do Thrower in Luka Doncic Jersey After He Receives Lifetime NBA-WNBA Ban

Published

on

WNBA games have often been disrupted by fans throwing s*x toys on the hardwood, with the perpetrators usually never getting caught. However, an offender was finally caught on Friday, as a clip of him being arrested in a Luka Doncic jersey quickly went viral online.

Brick Center shared the video of the suspect’s arrest on X (formerly Twitter) and reported that he was banned from NBA and WNBA games.

“The latest WNBA d*ldo thrower has been arrested and banned from all NBA/WNBA games,” Brick Center captioned the post.

Advertisement

In the clip, three police officers appeared to be handcuffing the reported suspect, who was donning a white Luka Doncic Lakers jersey. The perpetrator was arrested for disrupting the matchup between the Atlanta Dream and the LA Sparks after throwing a green d*ldo on the court at the Crypto.com Arena.

While the suspect was caught on Friday, this didn’t stop the incident from recurring a day later, with three d*ldos being flung onto the court during the game between the Golden State Valkyries and the Chicago Sky.

Although the practice continues to plague the WNBA, Friday’s arrest represents a step in the right direction, as the man in the Doncic jersey is allegedly the first person to be apprehended for throwing a sex toy onto the court.

Chicago Sky guard slams “men” for throwing d*ldos onto the court during WNBA games

After the game between the Golden State Valkyries and the Chicago Sky was disrupted with three d*ldos being thrown onto the court on Friday, veteran guard Natasha Cloud didn’t hold back while addressing the incident.

Advertisement

Cloud slammed the act during the post-game interview, claiming that it was usually “men” behind such heinous acts before describing it as the “gayest thing.”

“In most of these occasions, it’s men. And I want you to know that the gayest thing that you can do is go to a s*x shop, buy a d*ldo, come to a women’s game to throw the d*ldo on the court,” Cloud said.

“That is the gayest s*** that I’ve ever heard. So I’m a firm believer in anyone that has so much problem with a certain marginalized group, just come out and say that you’re a part of our marginalized group because that hate is unwarranted. It’s not factual.”

While Cloud criticized the trend of throwing objects onto the court, her decision to single out male fans earned her backlash.

Read More:

“He Tried To Finesse Me”: Ally D Hits Back at Anthony Edwards Following $14,000 Monthly Child Support Ruling

Advertisement

“Let your family cash out in peace” – Jason Whitlock Rips Into Jeanie Buss For Dragging Siblings In Explosive Lakers Ownership Dispute