Connect with us

Business

Max Verstappen Red Bull contract extended to end of 2030

Published

on

Max Verstappen Red Bull contract extended to end of 2030

Max Verstappen has signed a contract extension with Oracle Red Bull Racing that will keep the four-time Formula One world champion at the Milton Keynes team until the end of the 2030 season.

The announcement was made on Thursday, ahead of this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort, and replaces a deal that had been due to run until the end of 2028. It follows months of speculation about the Dutch driver’s future, including reports that Aston Martin was preparing a £1bn offer to lure him away.

Verstappen joined the Red Bull Junior Programme in 2014 and made his debut for the senior team in 2016, winning his first Grand Prix for the outfit. Since then, driver and team have secured four Drivers’ World Championships, two Constructors’ World Championships and 71 Grand Prix victories, according to the team’s statement.

Laurent Mekies, chief executive and team principal of Oracle Red Bull Racing, said: “Having Max continue with us and retaining the best driver on the grid is fantastic news for everyone at Red Bull, Oracle Red Bull Racing, as well as F1 and motorsport as a whole.”

He added: “The decision to continue our journey together is rooted in the trust Max and the Team have built over many years, as well as Max’s confidence in our people, our culture and our vision for the future. Forged through championship-winning success, intense battles and challenging moments alike, this relationship has only grown stronger, making it one of Formula One’s greatest success stories.”

Advertisement

“But we are not done yet. There are more races to win, more milestones to achieve and more history to write,” Mekies said. “Much will evolve as we move forward, but our ambition remains unchanged, united by one direction, one vision, one Team.”

Verstappen’s comments made clear that the team is no longer where it wants to be on the track. Formula One’s official report of the deal notes that McLaren took both titles in 2025, with Lando Norris beating Verstappen to the drivers’ championship by two points.

“I am really pleased with the contract extension,” Verstappen said. “We have the best people and I’m excited to keep working together with everyone to get back to the top again. This remains the ultimate goal that all of us have been working towards and will continue to pursue. I want to thank Red Bull, Laurent and everyone at Oracle Red Bull Racing for the trust they put in me.”

He said the team was “like a second family” and that staying with the same outfit for his whole career was “something I have always wanted to do”.

Advertisement

“Getting to work with Laurent now for over a year has also been great, I see a clear vision he has for the Team,” he said. “Everyone in Milton Keynes believes in what we are building and I am looking forward to the next chapter, fighting for more victories and competing for championships as we continue to shape the future of this Team.”

Verstappen added that making the announcement “during the last Grand Prix at Zandvoort is a great moment for me as well. Hopefully we can give the fans a special send-off for the final race.”

The team said the extension comes at “a defining moment” in its development, with Red Bull Ford Powertrains having entered its first season as an F1 power unit manufacturer and continued investment going into the team’s technical infrastructure and facilities. Neither side disclosed the financial terms of the new deal.


Paul Jones

Harvard alumni and former New York Times journalist. Editor of Business Matters for over 15 years, the UKs largest business magazine. I am also head of Capital Business Media’s automotive division working for clients such as Red Bull Racing, Honda, Aston Martin and Infiniti.

Advertisement

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Business

Chery R&D centre to open at UTAC Millbrook in Bedfordshire

Published

on

Chery R&D centre to open at UTAC Millbrook in Bedfordshire

Chery, the Chinese carmaker behind the Jaecoo and Omoda brands, is to open a research and development centre in Bedfordshire, describing the move as “the next step in our long-term plan” for Britain.

The company said on Wednesday that the facility would open in late autumn at UTAC Millbrook, an existing vehicle testing centre used by engineering and motorsport companies as well as the Ministry of Defence. The site offers more than 70km (43 miles) of purpose-built test tracks, which Chery will use to fine-tune its cars for UK roads. Further down the line it intends to use the site to work on self-driving cars and artificial intelligence.

Gary Lan, chief executive of Chery’s UK business, said: “We waited over 20 years for the right time to enter this market, and our ambition has always gone much further than simply bringing vehicles here.”

The announcement comes as Chery’s sales grow at a rapid pace in Britain. In July, the Chery, Omoda and Jaecoo brands together accounted for nearly 8 per cent of the UK market, up from 3 per cent a year earlier, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders. The China-built Jaecoo 7, nicknamed the “Temu Range Rover” for its low price and technology-heavy specification, became the UK’s top-selling model in March.

All of those cars are currently imported. Chery, which is part-owned by the Chinese state, has signed a deal with Nissan to build its vehicles at the Sunderland plant, which would mark the start of mass-market Chinese car production in Britain from 2027.

Advertisement

Chery also launched Lepas, its fourth brand in the UK, last February, aimed at younger families in the European market.

Kirsty Andrew, vice-president of UTAC UK, said the new R&D centre was “a significant commitment to engineering and vehicle development in the UK”.

She added: “Creating a stand-alone engineering centre here means Chery Automobile can develop and validate vehicles against the particular demands of UK roads and UK drivers, with direct access to our engineering expertise and testing environments throughout that process.”

UTAC Millbrook is midway between London and Birmingham and specialises in testing electric vehicles, battery systems and automated and connected vehicle technology.

Advertisement

Chinese manufacturers’ arrival as a major force in the car industry has put pressure on traditional European rivals. Chinese companies have been able to undercut European competitors in building electrified cars because of state subsidies, lower labour costs and China’s dominance of the battery industry.

Chery said it eventually planned to recruit local talent and create engineering jobs in the area, but did not say how much it would invest in the site or how many jobs would be created.


Amy Ingham

Amy Ingham

Amy Ingham is a reporter at Business Matters, covering UK business news with a focus on breaking news, business policy, late payments and insolvency. She joined the magazine in 2026 after completing the NCTJ Diploma in Journalism at Harlow College’s journalism school. Her recent reporting includes British Steel’s nationalisation and its impact on SME suppliers, the decline in late payments by large firms, and Insolvency Service director disqualifications. Reach her at aingham@cbmeg.co.uk.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Business

Hui Ka Yan sentenced to life in prison for Evergrande fraud and bribery

Published

on

Hui Ka Yan sentenced to life in prison for Evergrande fraud and bribery

The founder of the world’s most-indebted property developer was sentenced to life in prison in China for fraud and bribery – five years after his China Evergrande Group collapsed, roiling the Chinese economy and financial markets.

Hui Ka Yan, 67, was convicted in a court in the southern city of Shenzhen on Thursday and the companies were fined a total of more than $2.3 billion for financial crimes, including inflating the group’s assets and concealing its liabilities that ran more than $300 billion.

Advertisement

“The amount involved is exceptionally large, the circumstances are particularly egregious, and extraordinarily heavy economic losses have been caused,” the court wrote in a statement. “The harm to society is extremely serious. Therefore, severe punishment should be given in accordance with the law.”

Hui, also known as Xu Jiayin, abused his position in orchestrating fraud and misappropriating company assets, the court found.

COURT ORDERS CHINA’S BANKRUPT EVERGRANDE TO LIQUIDATE

Hui Ka Yan, the founder of China's Evergrande Group

Hui Ka Yan, the founder of China’s Evergrande Group, was sentenced to life in prison for fraud and bribery in the Shenzhen Intermediate People’s Court, in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China on August 20, 2026. (Shenzhen Intermediate People’s Court/Handout / Reuters Photos)

Evergrande group was fined 8.82 billion yuan ($1.31 billion) and Evergrande Real Estate Group was fined 7 billion yuan ($1.04 billion).

Advertisement

Hui’s sons, Xu Tenghe and Xu Zhijian, were also sentenced alongside senior Evergrande executives and others linked to the group, according to China’s official Xinhua News Agency. A total of more than 50 individuals were sentenced to imprisonment of between 22 months and 18 years.

Photos released by the court showed a gray-haired Hui standing between two officers in a navy collared shirt as the sentence was announced. He had largely disappeared from public view after Chinese authorities detained him in 2023.

His life sentence is a dramatic end to the career of a man who built one of China’s largest real estate empires in a rags-to-riches story. Born in 1958 into a rural family in central China’s Henan province, he worked in the steel industry in the 1980s before establishing Evergrande, which then prospered during China’s housing market boom. He was one of many businessmen who also gained political influence by joining a major advisory organization, the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Congress (CPPCC).

EMPTY BUILDINGS IN CHINA’S PROVINCIAL CITIES TESTIFY TO EVERGRANDE DEBACLE

Advertisement
Hui Ka Yan, the founder of China's Evergrande Group stands in court

The Shenzhen Intermediate People’s Court, in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China sentenced Hui Ka Yan, the founder of China’s Evergrande Group and once Asia’s richest man, to life in prison on August 20, 2026. (Shenzhen Intermediate People’s Court/Handout / Reuters Photos)

The Shenzhen Intermediate People’s Court ordered the confiscation of Hui’s personal property after he pleaded guilty in April to eight charges that included fundraising fraud, illegally taking public deposits, fraudulently issuing securities and bribery.

Chinese authorities cracked down on excessive borrowing in the real estate industry in 2020, triggering a crunch among many developers that brought on a downturn in the property market.

Evergrande, founded by Hui in 1996, expanded aggressively during China’s decades-long property boom, borrowing heavily as it built projects across the country. At its peak, the company became China’s largest developer by contracted sales, while Hui amassed a fortune that made him Asia’s richest man in 2017, with an estimated net worth of more than $45 billion, according to Forbes.

Its collapse helped ignite a broader crisis in China’s real estate sector, where falling home sales, unfinished projects and developer defaults have weighed on economic growth and consumer confidence for years.

Advertisement

CHINA’S EVERGRANDE: WHAT TO KNOW

Ticker Security Last Change Change %
DHI D.R. HORTON INC. 151.86 +6.18 +4.24%
LEN LENNAR CORP. 87.30 +2.36 +2.78%
PHM PULTEGROUP INC. 130.68 +4.63 +3.67%

The fallout also reached millions of ordinary Chinese investors and homebuyers. Evergrande’s inability to repay wealth-management products prompted protests after investors saw savings wiped out, while buyers of unfinished apartments were left uncertain about whether their homes would ever be completed.

Comments by Evergrande homeowners in a social media group included: “All ordinary citizens have paid the cost,” “Imprisonment is meant to protect him. If he comes out, his life is in jeopardy,” and, “What about our money?”

Chinese authorities said revenues were overstated by tens of billions of dollars in 2019 and 2020.

Advertisement

Hui had already faced regulatory punishment before Thursday’s criminal sentence. In 2024, China’s securities regulator fined him roughly $6.5 million and barred him from the country’s securities markets for life over inflated financial results and other violations.

Evergrande’s corporate demise has continued even as Hui’s criminal case moved through the courts.

China Evergrande Group's then-Chairman Hui Ka Yan

China Evergrande Group’s then-Chairman Hui Ka Yan attends a news conference on the property developer’s annual results in Hong Kong, China on March 28, 2017. (Bobby Yip/File Photo / Reuters Photos)

GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO BY CLICKING HERE

A Hong Kong court ordered the company into liquidation in 2024, and its shares were later delisted from the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.

Advertisement

Reuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

Business

Dow Jones Futures Fall As Oil Prices, Bitcoin Jump; Walmart Skids On Earnings Investor’s Business Daily

Published

on

Dow Jones Futures Fall As Oil Prices, Bitcoin Jump; Walmart Skids On Earnings Investor's Business Daily

Dow Jones futures fell early Thursday, along with S&P 500 futures and Nasdaq futures. Oil prices continue to rise and Treasury yields rebounded while Walmart and Alibaba were notable earnings losers. The stock market rose slightly Wednesday as a Treasury move pulled down long-term bond yields and the dollar. Biotechs and drugmakers rallied on cancer vaccine news from Moderna and Merck,…

Copyright ©2026 Investor’s Business Daily, LLC. All rights reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8

Continue Reading

Business

Freedom Capital cuts iRhythm Technologies stock price target on valuation

Published

on


Freedom Capital cuts iRhythm Technologies stock price target on valuation

Continue Reading

Business

State government announces WA Football review

Published

on

State government announces WA Football review

The state government has announced a review of WA Football, ahead of a new 10-year funding agreement which begins in November next year.

Continue Reading

Business

Swiss Prime Site AG (SWPRF) Q2 2026 Earnings Call Transcript

Published

on

OneWater Marine Inc. (ONEW) Q1 2026 Earnings Call Transcript