Huntingdonshire District Council approved the four homes at the vacant site despite fears about development in the countryside
Four homes have been approved at a former kennels and cattery despite fears they could “open a floodgate” of development in the countryside.
Plans for five houses at the site off Fenstanton Road near Hilton had been rejected in 2022 for being out of character for the countryside and being in an unsustainable location where residents would need to drive to access services. But the latest plans for four detached four-bedroom bungalows were recommended for approval by Huntingdonshire District Council’s planning officers.
A design and access statement from Twenty Nine Architecture and Planning said the new plan “significantly reduced” the scale of the homes to a “modest single-storey form” more in line with the existing buildings on the site. The former Fields View Kennels and Cattery, which shut in 2020, would be demolished to make way for the homes.
Hilton Parish Council still objected to the new plans and Cllr Peter Balicki spoke on its behalf to the council’s development management committee on Monday, August 17. He said that the last proposal was originally for seven homes before being revised down to six, and finally five.
He said the parish council objected to these from “concern” that if homes were approved on the former agricultural site it would “open a floodgate of applications”.
He said: “It just seems that you can turn the barrel of the kaleidoscope as many times as you like until it falls into place. Now that we’ve gone from seven failed, six failed, five failed – we’ll let permission be given for four”.
James Aldridge, of nearby Alpha Farms, said he was concerned that future residents of the homes could complain about his poultry farm – despite it being there first.
He said: “Our farm is already here and is a working farm – there will naturally be noise, smells, dust, farm vehicles and muck movements. If people move into these houses and then complain about these normal farming activities, could that lead to the council putting restrictions on our farm? We want to know that our farm can continue to operate normally in the future.”
The council’s planning officer said national planning policy states that existing sites “should not have unreasonable restrictions” placed on them as a result of new developments being approved nearby.
An odour assessment also took place, which was not done for the previous application, and officers said they didn’t think odour or noise would negatively impact future residents.
Cllr Alan Hunt, of St Neots Eatons, raised concerns that two parking spaces per home would not be enough and visitors would be forced to park on the road which could lead to a “real highway safety risk”.
The Liberal Democrat councillor said: “From our visit to the site there was nowhere on the side of the road that I felt was actually safe for that kind of parking. It’s a rural road, it’s a 60mph limit and the visibility is not brilliant.”
Cllr Jon Neish said that even though cycle parking would be provided at the homes, they’ll still be largely car dependent as they would be “in the middle of nowhere”.
The Conservative councillor said: “I wouldn’t want to cycle down there – I was lucky I was on a motorbike at the time, so it was two wheels, but it had an engine. I just think it’s a little bit awkward myself and I’ve not been convinced that it actually is the right use for this.”
Cllr Tom Sanderson said that, since the highway authority didn’t object to the plans, it would be “very difficult” for them to refuse based on parking or road safety concerns.
The Liberal Democrat councillor said: “If this went to appeal, the fact is we are in tilted balance – that dreaded phrase. I think if this were to be rejected, it would be very difficult to justify doing so at appeal.”
The application was passed by a single vote with five voting in favour, four against and four abstaining.





You must be logged in to post a comment Login