A councillor has claimed their response on the use of the Crisis and Resilience Fund is ‘materially inaccurate’
A council row has broken out on the use of a new crisis fund to support a voucher scheme for families during school holidays. The financial support provides supermarket vouchers worth £10 per child per week, but previously they were worth £15.
The decision came after the government’s Household Support Fund (HSF) ended on March 31, which was previously used to fund the holiday scheme. Cambridgeshire County Council has earmarked £2.7m to fund the scheme, but there are calls to provide more funding from the Crisis and Resilience Fund (CRF) of £5.3m per year which replaced the HSF.
Cllr Bryony Goodliffe said that a Freedom of Information request had shown that using the fund for vouchers “was not ‘banned’” as the council leadership had said in “repeated public statements in full council, in response to public questions to council and committees”.
In a written question submitted to the county council, the Labour councillor said that as recently as March, they claimed guidance said the fund “may not be” used for the blanket provision of vouchers to those on free-school meals.
Cllr Goodliffe said the guidance actually says that it “may or may not be” used for this purpose and the FOI proves the council was told this in January 2026.
Cllr Alison Whelan, chair of the communities, social mobility and inclusion committee, provided a written response which said the wording had been changed on March 20.
She added: “This phrase, like its predecessor, needs to be read in context of the rest of the sentence as it makes clear that ‘blanket’ provision is not acceptable, as individual assessments are required for all support”.
She said this understanding “aligns with the interpretation by other councils” and they will be discussing how to use the CRF at a committee meeting in June.
Cllr Goodliffe, speaking at a meeting of Cambridgeshire County Council, said she believed the response “is materially inaccurate” and “therefore risks misleading the council”.
Cllr Whelan replied that “it’s not appropriate to comment” and “the question was asked and the question was answered”.


You must be logged in to post a comment Login