Two women and a man were in the property at the time
A woman has spoken of how the door of her East Belfast apartment was set on fire during an alleged arson attack.
Olivia Hayes said she was awoken by the fire service breaking through her door after it had been set on fire in the early hours of Monday, May 18.
It happened in the Finmore Court area and the door was left badly damaged. She says she has been told she will have to wait a number of days before her door can be repaired or move into temporary accommodation.
Speaking to Belfast Live, Olivia said she is now living in an unsecure property while she tries to get her door replaced and described the moment firefighters arrived at her apartment.
The resident explained: “I was sleeping when I was woke up by my dog barking and firefighters suddenly breaking through my front door.
“Thankfully there has not been too much smoke damage done to the inside of my flat, but the door has been completely destroyed and I have been told by the Housing Executive that it will be a few days before I am able to get it replaced and I have the option of going into temporary accommodation.
“I have overcome some difficult issues in my life and I have told them going into a hostel would be the last thing that I want to do, but I am just hoping that something can be done sooner to replace my door. I have had to have friends come over in order to get some sleep because the flat is wide open.”
Police are investigating the incident which took place at 3am on Monday, May 18, at an apartment in the Finmore Court area of the city when the front door was set on fire using an accelerant.
Two women and a man were in the property at the time of the fire but were not injured with the fire service extinguishing the blaze. A man in his 20s was arrested in connection with the incident.
Detective Sergeant Andrews said: “At around 3am, it was reported that the front door of a flat located at the Finmore Court area had been set alight with accelerant used. Two women, one aged in her 40s and one in her 30s and a man in his 30s were inside the upstairs flat during the incident, but were not injured. Colleagues from Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service extinguished the fire.
“One man in his 20s was arrested in relation to the incident.
“We would continue to appeal for information or who saw anything suspicious in the Finmore Court area of East Belfast between 12am and 3am, to contact police on 101 quoting reference number 104 18/05/26. You can also submit a report online using our non-emergency reporting form via http://www.psni.police.uk/makeareport/ or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at http://crimestoppers-uk.org/.”
For all the latest news, visit the Belfast Live homepage here and sign up to our daily newsletter here.








You must be logged in to post a comment Login