Connect with us
DAPA Banner
DAPA Coin
DAPA
COIN PAYMENT ASSET
PRIVACY · BLOCKDAG · HOMOMORPHIC ENCRYPTION · RUST
ElGamal Encrypted MINE DAPA
🚫 GENESIS SOLD OUT
DAPAPAY COMING

Sports

Alas Pilipinas pair falls short of Beach Pro Tour main draw

Published

on

Alas Pilipinas'  Khylem Progella and Sofiah Pagara during the Volleyball World Beach Pro Tour Nuvali Challenge qualifiers

Alas Pilipinas’ Khylem Progella and Sofiah Pagara during the Volleyball World Beach Pro Tour Nuvali Challenge qualifiers. –HANDOUT PHOTO

SANTA ROSA, Laguna – Alas Pilipinas’ Sofiah Pagara and Khylem Progella missed the main draw of the Volleyball World Beach Pro Tour Nuvali Challenge but they impressed and showed maturity beyond their years against world-class opponents.

Pagara and Progella, student-athletes from University of Santo Tomas, pushed Hungary’s Lilla Villam and Stefania Kun to their limits before yielding a 21-19, 21-18 loss on Wednesday night at the Nuvali Sands Courts.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

Trailing 12-16 in the second set, Pagara mounted a spirited fightback for Alas Pilipinas, firing two aces and mixing in two well-placed attacks for a personal 4-0 blast that forced a 16-all deadlock.

But Kun and Villam, winners of last year’s Balıkesir Futures, leaned on their experience and kept the young Filipinos at bay to advance to the main draw.

“It was very overwhelming. We learned a lot. They are experienced players from abroad, so we are very grateful that even though we fell short, we showed what we are capable of,” said Pagara, who finished with 19 points in the loss. “I just really wanted to win, so I told myself I would give my best.”

Advertisement
Article continues after this advertisement

Pagara and Progella were the lone Filipino pair to reach the second round of the qualification tournament.

They turned back Germany’s Mareet Maidhof and Tabea Schwarz, 21-19, 28-26, with Pagara finishing with 25 points.

Villam led Hungary with 14 points, while Kun added 10.

Advertisement
Article continues after this advertisement

Wies Bekhuis and Desy Poiesz, Nigella Negenman and Floor Hogenhout of the Netherlands; Kaiyue Jiang and Jie Dong of China; Andressa Ramalho and Taina Bigi of Brazil; Sofia Bisgaard and Cirkeline Høg of Denmark; Marie-Alex Bélanger and Amy Ozee of Canada; and Daniele Kvedaraite and Jekaterina Saule of Lithuania completed the women’s main draw of the first Pro Tour.

On the men’s side, Alex Iraya and Alihfaisal Gampong were outclassed by Australia’s Oliver Merritt and Jed Walker, 21-7, 21-13.



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Advertisement


Your subscription has been successful.

Edwin Tolentino and Lerry Francisco absorbed a 21-12, 21-11 defeat against Brazil’s Gabriel Santiago and Johann Dohmann.

The Philippines, however, still has formidable contenders waiting in the main draw, with Sisi Rondina and Bernadeth Pons bannering the women’s division, while Ranran Abdilla and Ronniel Rosales carry the country’s hopes in the men’s division.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

French Open qualifying 2026: Toby Samuel one win from Roland Garros main draw

Published

on

Britain’s Toby Samuel is one win away from a first Grand Slam singles appearance after beating former world number seven David Goffin in French Open qualifying to set up the most lucrative match of his career.

The 23-year-old was ranked outside the world’s top 1,300 12 months ago but has risen to a career-high 159th after winning four titles on the ATP Challenger Tour – the second tier of men’s professional tennis.

On Wednesday, he produced a memorable comeback to beat Goffin 5-7 6-3 6-3 in what was the Belgian veteran’s final appearance at Roland Garros.

Samuel will now face Peru’s Gonzalo Bueno for a place in the French Open main draw.

Advertisement

Samuel has pocketed 57,000 euros (£49,300) by claiming the first two qualifying wins of his career at an overseas Grand Slam – boosting his total career prize money of £118,300 by 42%.

Victory in his final qualifying match is worth an additional 48,000 euros (£41,500), while it would also guarantee minimum earnings of 87,000 euros (£75,200) in the main draw first round.

“First of all, it was an honour to play against David in his last Roland Garros,” Samuel told the crowd on Suzanne Lenglen, the tournament’s second biggest arena.

“You’re an inspiration to all tennis players out there, it was amazing sharing the court with you.

Advertisement

“It was the craziest atmosphere I’ve ever been a part of.”

Samuel missed much of the 2024 season with injury and said it was not until midway through 2025 that he felt healthy again.

He has never contested a match on the ATP Tour but is now one win away from a first appearance on one of the sport’s biggest stages.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Why this former LIV pro ditched a playoff at U.S. Open qualifying

Published

on

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Wrexham A.F.C. Congratulate Arthur Okonkwo on First Super Eagles Call-Up

Published

on

English Championship club Wrexham A.F.C. have sent warm congratulations to their goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo after reports of his invitation to join Nigeria’s senior national team, the Super Eagles, for the upcoming Unity Cup.

Hours ago, the NFF released the squad list, but Wrexham had already acknowledged the news on Tuesday, celebrating what is expected to be the 23-year-old goalkeeper’s first senior international call-up.

“Congratulations to Arthur Okonkwo on receiving his first call up to the Nigeria squad ahead of the Unity Cup,” the club wrote on its official social media platforms.

  • Super EaglesSuper Eagles

Advertisement
Arthur Okonkwo cleared to represent Nigeria ahead of Unity CupArthur Okonkwo cleared to represent Nigeria ahead of Unity CupArthur Okonkwo cleared to represent Nigeria ahead of Unity CupArthur Okonkwo cleared to represent Nigeria ahead of Unity Cup
Arthur Okonkwo cleared to represent Nigeria ahead of Unity Cup

Okonkwo, who has impressed for Wrexham this season with consistent performances between the posts, is now expected to be part of the Super Eagles team for the Unity Cup, which will be staged in London later this month.

The tournament is seen as an important opportunity for Nigeria to test a blend of home-based and overseas players as preparations continue for future competitions. Okonkwo’s inclusion is regarded as a major step forward in his growing career.

Fans of Wrexham and Nigerian football supporters will be watching closely as the young goalkeeper looks to make an impact on the international stage during the London-based competition.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Enzo Amore spotted at WWE Performance Center

Published

on

Enzo Amore has been the talk of the town as WWE reportedly was in contact with the former Cruiserweight Champion. According to a new report, Amore was recently at the Performance Center ahead of NXT.

Enzo Amore and Big Cass became a household name in the industry with their work on the black-and-gold brand under Triple H’s creative leadership. The tag team received their main roster call-up in 2016, but both stars were done with the promotion in the coming years.

While Amore was fired in January 2018, Cass was released in June. The two have reunited as a tag team on the independent circuit, but the Stamford-based promotion might have an interest in Amore. Recently, a report suggested that the company was in contact with the two-time Cruiserweight Champion during WrestleMania week.

Advertisement

According to False Finish, the 39-year-old star has been at the Performance Center before the recent edition of NXT. Another rumor suggested that the company is looking to improve its tag team division, and being in touch with Enzo Amore might lead to the return of Big Cass as well if the plan is to work on the tag team division.

The two were over as an act in WWE under the old regime, but never a tag team championship in the division. It’ll be interesting to see what’s next for Enzo Amore.


Enzo Amore recalls scrapped romantic storyline with major WWE star

In 2017, Enzo Amore was in his second reign as the Cruiserweight Champion and often appeared on WWE RAW. During his reign, Amore was involved in a storyline with Nia Jax, and the two were often seen in backstage segments. However, it was abruptly canceled when the star was under investigation, which forced the company to fire him.

In an appearance on The John Rondi Show, Amore claimed that the storyline was eventually going to become a love triangle as Alexa Bliss was supposed to be his on-screen girlfriend. The said segment was planned for WWE RAW’s 25th anniversary, but Amore was suspended and eventually fired from the company.

Advertisement

Enzo Amore was going to create a rift between Bliss and Jax, but the company pivoted and took the feud in another direction at WrestleMania 34. Meanwhile, Amore relinquished the title, and a new Cruiserweight Champion was crowned at the same event.