Connect with us

Sports

Deshaun Watson fires back at Browns fans after being booed: ‘It’s a disrespectful thing’

Published

on

While his performance against the Bills did not help his cause in his position battle against Shedeur Sanders, Deshaun Watson likely hurt it even more during his postgame press conference while addressing being booed by Browns fans. 

Watson, after going 5 of 12 for 36 yards and an interception during Cleveland’s 31-7 loss to the Bills, decided to go on the offensive when asked about the boos. 

“I think the whole world knows it has nothing to do about the performance,” Watson said. “It’s a little bit more personal than that. So, I think it’s a disrespectful thing.”

To make his point, Watson noted that Saturday wasn’t the first time that he felt the ire of Browns fans. He added that he gets treated better by opposing fans. 

Advertisement

 “Last time I played on this field, I tore my Achilles. That same fan base, they cheered when I got hurt,” he said. “What does that have to do with anything about performance? When a person gets hurt, especially in your home stadium, and they cheer.”

Watson said that his experiences with Browns fans are usually only negative on either social media or during home games. He was hoping that the situation regarding the fans’ treatment of him would be better given his involvement in the city and after he worked to get himself back in position to compete to be the Browns’ starting quarterback. 

“I thought being away for two years and working myself back from two Achilles injuries and putting the time in and being around the facility, being around the city, doing charity work in the city, supporting the Cleveland Browns, hanging out with fans whenever I do see them, being honest, being the type of person that I know I am and the character would help,” he said. “And I guess it hasn’t. So that’s why I say it’s personal. So it is what it is. People have their own opinions. There’s only so much you can do to change that. So at the end of the day, I just have to continue to just work on it and strive to be better mentally moving forward.”  

Saturday was a continuation of the downward spiral that has been Watson’s career, especially since he arrived in Cleveland in 2022. A three-time Pro Bowler with the Texans, injuries and inconsistent play have plagued Watson throughout his time with the Browns. He is 9-10 as the Browns’ starting quarterback with just 19 touchdowns, 12 interceptions and a mediocre 61.2% completion percentage. 

Advertisement

Adding to the frustration that has been Watson’s story in Cleveland is the amount of capital the Browns spent to get him. They sent Houston six draft picks that included three consecutive first-round picks in addition to signing Watson to a record-setting, five-year, $230 million fully guaranteed contract. It’s undeniably one of — if not the — worst transactions in the history of sports.  

There’s also the fact that the Browns traded for Watson despite the fact that he had already been sued by over two dozen female massage therapists for sexual harassment and sexual assault (in 2022, it was announced that 20 of the 24 women who sued Watson had reached confidential settlements). Watson’s time in Cleveland began with him serving an 11-game suspension for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. 

In addition to Watson’s plight, the fact that he’s competing against the immensely popular Sanders doesn’t help his cause. Sanders, who made the Pro Bowl as a rookie, went 9 of 11 for 74 yards with a touchdown and an interception against the Bills. Sanders also shined during his postgame press conference when he was asked about the fans’ treatment of Watson. 

“I think we all need to understand that we’re all human,” he said. “I don’t really do things to humans I wouldn’t want done to me. … Just for our fans, I appreciate y’all showing up and everything. However y’all feel about the situation, about Deshaun, think it’s more about a bigger purpose than just respect. The respect thing that I feel like should be there. Because we’re out trying to do our best and trying to serve the franchise the best way possible. We’re going out there every game and doing everything we can do. I don’t really appreciate that.” 

Advertisement

As noted above, Watson didn’t do himself any favors both during and after Saturday’s game. And while it appears that his time in Cleveland is destined to be remembered as an epic disappointment, Watson remains optimistic that there is light at the end of the tunnel in terms of his playing career. 

“I don’t regret anything in my life,” he said. “I think the Lord puts you in situations for a reason. I don’t regret anything at all. I had different thoughts on how it was gonna be, but it is what it is. Sometimes, the tables turn, and I’m patient enough — because I’m a child of God — to wait for that change. So, I ain’t tripping.” 

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

India vs Sri Lanka LIVE Score, 2nd Test Day 1 Updates: Yashasvi Jaiswal’s Dismissal Sparks Ugly Scenes In Colombo, India 2 Down

Published

on

“Batting first, yes. [On the pitch] It looks like a much harder, much better surface compared to Galle. Galle was also a very good wicket, but I think as the game went on, it got a little bit slower and the ball started to turn. We’re expecting the same, but I think for the first two or three days, I think it’ll be a really good wicket to bat on. [Playing XI] Kuldeep, unfortunately, had some infections, so he misses out, and Saransh makes his debut for India. [How he would rate the Galle win] I would say probably a nine, because there’s always room for improvement, and I think we played a pretty good match, a decent match. And obviously there were some areas where we could have got a little bit better, but, you know, this is Test cricket. It’s very, very difficult to be able to have a near-perfect game because you’re playing for five days, and to play that dominant and consistent cricket, especially in Test, is hard. But I think overall we had a pretty good match,” said India skipper Shubman Gill. 

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Asian Games 2026: Ministry approves 492 athletes, 73 from athletics alone | Other Sports News

Published

on


The Sports Ministry on Saturday approved a 492-strong contingent of athletes for the Asian Games beginning next month in Japan, with athletics forming the biggest chunk of 73 names in the list.


The contingent comprises 265 male and 227 women athletes. The Ministry has, however, not yet issued the list of support staff that would accompany the contingent.


The athletics group features 35 men and 38 women and is headlined by two-time Olympic medal-winning javelin throw superstar Neeraj Chopra, long jumper Murali Sreeshankar, long distance runner Gulveer Singh, decathlete Tejaswin Shankar and 100m hurdler Jyothi Yarraji, among others.

Advertisement


The 20-strong badminton team also comprises established names such as P V Sindhu, Ayush Shetty and Laskshya Sen. The women’s doubles pair of Gayatri Gopichand and Treesa Jolly, along with Satwik Sairaj Renkireddy and Chirag Shetty are there in the squad too.

 


The boxing group has 11 names, including the recent Commonwealth Games silver-winners Lovlin Borgohain (75kg), Narender Berwal (+90kg) and Jadumani Singh (55kg).


Fifteen names have been cleared for Esports competition, while 22 rowers will also travel for the Games to be held in Aichi-Nagoya.

Advertisement

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Aug 23 2026 | 11:18 AM IST

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Infantino defies FIFA vice president’s request to stay away from Caribbean youth tournament

Published

on

Gianni Infantino defied a request by one of his FIFA vice presidents to stay away from an Under-14 soccer event in the Caribbean and instead made a rare public appearance during the global furor over his failed plan to sell future World Cup profits to private investors.

On Saturday, Infantino posted photos on his Instagram account showing the FIFA president meeting political and soccer officials from the Dominican Republic on the sidelines of a Caribbean Football Union (CFU) youth tournament in the Punta Cana resort.

On Friday, Infantino had been asked not to go by Victor Montagliani, the Canadian president of Miami-based continental soccer body CONCACAF, to avoid being a distraction from the soccer games.

“I believe that considering the governance crisis surrounding FIFA as a result of your controversial FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal, the media will focus on this situation,” Montagliani wrote in an emailed letter seen by The Associated Press, “which will unfortunately significantly take away from the technical nature of the CFU youth competition.”

Advertisement

“As such, I respectfully ask you in the name of football to reconsider your attendance as it will unfortunately undermine the technical nature of this important youth development activity,” Montagliani wrote.

Read moreSenior FIFA official FIFA Kevin Lamour leaves after criticising Gianni Infantino

FIFA declined to comment on the Montagliani request, though noted it directly funds regional bodies like the CFU with up to $5 million from each four-year World Cup cycle.

Montagliani has aligned with fellow FIFA vice presidents Aleksander Ceferin from European body UEFA and Asian Football Confederation president Sheik Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa in seeking to end Infantino’s increasingly executive presidency now in its 11th year.

Advertisement

They accused Infantino two weeks ago of “deception” in secretly planning over the past year to spin off FIFA’s multi-billion dollar commercial activities to a subsidiary 20% owned by investors led by Joshua Kushner.

Infantino withdrew the project on Aug. 1 amid a global backlash by soccer leaders and fans, and hours after his own chief operating officer published stinging criticism of the proposal and his leadership style in a statement to the AP. The Zurich-based COO, Kevin Lamour, was fired this week.

Read moreFIFA closes ranks round Infantino amid mounting leadership crisis

Caribbean member federations are seen as potential supporters for Infantino to peel away from their CONCACAF leadership. South American body CONMEBOL has backed Infantino as its best path to hosting more games at the 2030 World Cup it wants expanded from 48 teams to 64.

Advertisement

The FIFA leader has not taken questions publicly since the $20 billion FFE project was revealed July 28 by British daily The Times, and on Friday in Punta Cana he evaded a reporter from British broadcaster Sky News.

Asked by Sky reporter James Matthews if he had betrayed the sport and should resign, Infantino said “Thank you so much” and made quips about both men being bald.

Infantino is aiming to be re-elected for a fourth and final term in office through 2031 at the FIFA election congress next March in Rabat, Morocco. FIFA has set Nov. 18 as a deadline for would-be candidates to enter the race.

(FRANCE 24 with AP)

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

I already loved True’s Antigravity golf shoe. Now they made it better

Published

on

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

5 new champions that can be crowned at AEW All In 2026

Published

on

AEW is set to present its biggest show of the year, All In 2026, on Sunday, August 30, at Wembley Stadium in London, England. The company has assembled a stacked match card with multiple title matches, and several AEW stars could leave the show as new champions.

The All In 2026 event will feature top challengers like Mercedes Moné, Will Ospreay, Darby Allin, Konosuke Takeshita, and many others competing in high-stakes title matches. While some are looking to reclaim championship glory, others are eyeing their first-ever titles in the Jacksonville-based promotion, including stars who could debut at the show. Here are five top names who could become new champions at AEW All In 2026:

Advertisement

#5. Claudio Castagnoli

Claudio Castagnoli has impressed audiences with his performance in AEW and in the Continental Challenge Cup, which has been underway in recent weeks. The Swiss Superman outlasted Ace Austin in the first-round match and recently beat his Death Riders cohort, Daniel Garcia, on the August 22 episode of Collision to advance to the semi-finals. Castagnoli will next face the Death Riders’ leader, Jon Moxley, in the semi-finals on the upcoming episode of Dynamite in Glasgow, Scotland. With his rising momentum in full force, the former WWE United States Champion is likely to defeat Moxley and then beat the other finalist of the Cup at All In 2026 to become the new AEW Continental Champion.

#4. Konosuke Takeshita

Kyle Fletcher is scheduled to defend his AEW International Championship against Kazuchika Okada and Konosuke Takeshita in a three-way bout at All In 2026. Despite being part of the Don Callis Family, Fletcher and Okada have had evident problems between them. It could lead to a scenario where tensions would explode between them, and Takeshita might take advantage of the situation and outlast Fletcher and Okada to win the International title for the third time.

#3. Darby Allin

The rivalry between Darby Allin and Kevin Knight ignited at Double or Nothing 2026. Right after Allin dropped the AEW World Championship to MJF in the main event, Knight came out and shockingly attacked The Invisible Man, turning heel in the process. Moreover, tensions have risen between the two stars, especially after Allin fell into Knight’s trap and was subjected to a pyro accident on Dynamite this week. The feud will lead to a Falls Count Anywhere match for Knight’s TNT Championship at All In 2026. Following Allin’s short yet remarkable World title reign, it is expected that he will dethrone Knight at All In 2026, and this captivating program is likely to continue with more matches between two of the rising names in Tony Khan’s promotion.

#2. AEW star Swerve Strickland & The New Day, who could make their debut

Swerve Strickland crossed paths with the AEW World Trios Champions, Hangman Adam Page and Brodido (Bandido and Brody King) in recent weeks. The Mogul will now select two partners of his choice and challenge them for their Trios titles at All In 2026. It is heavily teased that Strickland’s partners will be none other than The New Day (Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods), who are rumored to join All Elite Wrestling after recently becoming free agents following their WWE departure in May 2026. Tony Khan and his creative regime are likely to make a huge impact with The New Day’s rumored debut and can book them and Strickland to become new champions at All In.

Advertisement

#1. Mercedes Mone

Mercedes Mone is set to challenge her heated rival, Willow Nightingale, for the AEW Women’s World Championship at All In 2026. This will be the second year that Mone is competing for the title after coming up short against Timeless Toni Storm last year at All In Texas. The CEO returned to the company in June after a lengthy hiatus. She had been away due to dealing with some issues and blamed Nightingale. Mone had injured her ankle in a match against her in NJPW in 2023 and underwent therapy during her recent time away from All Elite Wrestling. Moreover, the former RAW Women’s Champion revealed that her post-therapy interaction was with Willow, who smiled at her knowing that it would annoy her.

“Not only did she see that I was hurt, but she stood over me after she pinned me and smiled at me. Me, the greatest women’s wrestler of all time, the woman that really pushed this era forward, the woman that made people believe that they can be women’s wrestlers..then I chose AEW and who was there to greet me? Her dumb*ss. I wanted those tag team titles you know I’m the greatest tag team wrestler of all time. Who was there to beat me? Dumb*ss Willow…. Then I was on the run of my life, 13 belts for me.. not only did she disrespect me, she threw cake at my face… And smiled at me,” Mone said.

Furthermore, Big D Mone is yet to capture the Women’s World title since her AEW debut in 2024. With Mercedes Mone preparing well for her big fight and possibly having learned from her shortcomings in her previous attempts to win the title and matches with Willow Nightingale, it is likely that she will walk out with the championship from All In 2026.