Connect with us
DAPA Banner
DAPA Coin
DAPA
COIN PAYMENT ASSET
PRIVACY · BLOCKDAG · HOMOMORPHIC ENCRYPTION · RUST
ElGamal Encrypted MINE DAPA
🚫 GENESIS SOLD OUT
DAPAPAY COMING

Sports

Floyd Mayweather ‘insisting’ on major change for Manny Pacquiao fight

Published

on

Confusion around Floyd Mayweather’s rematch with Manny Pacquiao is set to continue, with the American insisting that there must be a major change between their fight, despite having already signed contracts for the spectacle.

Mayweather agreed to an exhibition contest against Mike Tyson late last year but then it was unveiled that he would return to the professional scene with a comeback against long-term rival Pacquiao this September.

Netflix have been confirmed as the broadcaster for what could be the biggest boxing event of 2026, with Mayweather’s fabled 50-0 professional record on the line and in jeopardy against the more active ‘Pac Man’.

Advertisement

However, last weekend, Mayweather claimed that he had not signed for a professional encounter and that the fight will instead be his third exhibition bout of the year – rather than an intriguing pro return at the age of 49 years old.

Speaking to ESPN, CEO of Manny Pacquiao Promotions, Jas Mathur, claimed that ‘Team Mayweather is insisting on the fight being changed from a sanctioned professional bout to an exhibition’ but that the fight remains on, despite ‘TBE’ being in breach of his contract.

“As of right now, the fight is still on. There is no termination of any sort, and he has signed for a professional fight.

“Floyd is officially in breach of his contract. He’s been in a breach since the day he went out and said what he said on Saturday and he’s officially in a breach as of yesterday.”

Further drama is sure to unfold regarding the event, especially given that, according to Mathur, Mayweather has already profited after taking out an advance on his fight purse.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Lionel Messi joins Ronaldo in billionaire football ranks after US deals | Football News

Published

on


By Rodrigo Orihuela and Dylan Sloan

 


When Lionel Messi was a teenager he received a life-changing offer to join FC Barcelona’s youth team. Sketched out informally on a napkin, the contract included an unconventional clause: a commitment to pay the young footballer’s growth hormone treatment.  

His local Argentine side, Newell’s Old Boys, had just taken a pass on the expense as too big a gamble on an unproven player. But for Barcelona, it might just be the best money ever spent: The therapy proved effective and Messi’s career later skyrocketed, catapulting him and the Spanish team to international glory. Off the pitch, he’s also just notched up another big milestone, becoming a rare sporting billionaire.  
Advertisement


Messi, 38, has earned more than $700 million in salary and bonuses since 2007, according to a Bloomberg analysis. Adjusting for taxes, market performance and income from investments and sponsorships, his net worth has surpassed the $1 billion-mark, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. That puts him alongside long-time rival Cristiano Ronaldo, the Portuguese striker who became the sport’s first billionaire after joining Saudi Pro League club Al-Nassr FC in 2023, as among the world’s wealthiest athletes.

 
 


While Ronaldo’s flamboyant persona has long proven a magnet for advertisers from oil products to sportswear, Messi’s marketing machine in the early years of his career at times struggled to match the heights of his on-field talent. But more recently — under the guiding hand of father Jorge — his business career has flourished. A massive pay check from current team Inter Miami, purported TV revenue-sharing deals, real estate holdings and even a stake in an Argentine restaurant chain have all helped land him in the 10-figure club.

 

Advertisement


It could easily have happened sooner. Many Messi-watchers were surprised when the player, fresh from leading Argentina to World Cup victory in 2022, turned down a huge contract worth $400 million annually to play in the Saudi Pro League. Instead, he opted to join Inter Miami, while Ronaldo signed his own Saudi contract during 2023, worth more than $200 million a year.

 

“Money was never a problem for me, nor an obstacle in anything,” Messi told Mundo Deportivo in an interview that year. “If it had been about money, I would have gone to Saudi Arabia or somewhere else.”  


Historically, athletes who’ve made $1 billion or more have largely done so off the back of investments. Roger Federer earned more than $130 million in prize money during his playing career — but a deal to buy a 3% stake in Swiss running shoe brand On in 2019 became the largest source of his wealth after its shares soared. 

Advertisement

 


Michael Jordan, despite being one of the highest-paid NBA players of his time, earned less than $100 million in career wages, with a stake in the Charlotte Hornets and endorsement deals contributing the bulk of his wealth. However, a recent surge in top athletes’ salaries, especially in football, has enabled the sport’s biggest stars to make $1 billion or more in wages alone.

 


The Miami deal also came with innovative perks for Messi, including an unusual equity option that gives him the right to purchase a stake in the club, where retired England star David Beckham is already a shareholder. 

Advertisement

 


While it’s unclear what stake — if any — Messi has taken in his US team since joining, Inter Miami’s fortunes have been on the rise. The club’s value increased more than a fifth in the year to February to about $1.45 billion, according to Sportico. It’s now the US’s most valuable soccer team, ranking 16th globally and ahead of such teams as Newcastle United.

 


Apple Deal 

Advertisement


Messi’s US move also opened up other innovative ways of being paid. During initial contract talks, the US football league and Apple discussed a revenue-sharing agreement that would see Messi earn a share of sales from new subscriptions to Apple TV+’s MLS Season Pass streaming package, The Athletic reported. 

 

Jorge Mas, Inter Miami’s owner, said take-up for the streaming service doubled in the months after the player joined. Mas, in an interview earlier this year, signaled Messi’s total annual pay from the club comes to between $70 million and $80 million, taking into account equity rights and player compensation.  


Bloomberg was unable to independently verify the financial details of Messi’s agreement with Apple. Attempts to reach the Messi family via a press officer were unanswered.

Advertisement

 


From a purely sporting point of view, the move to Inter was seen by some fans as a step down, following a well-trodden path by experienced stars to less-celebrated footballing nations ready to pay for brand-name talent. Before moving, Messi — considered by many the best player of all time — had spent two years at French powerhouse Paris Saint Germain, and prior to that led Barcelona to several Spanish and European titles. He’s also won more Ballon d’Or titles than any other player.

 


But even as he developed into star at the Catalan club in the 2000s, it took time before his pay really took off: when he signed a contract extension in 2009, Spanish media reported that he was earning about $12 million a year. As salaries have inflated, last season, ten players on the side were making more than that annually, according to data from analytics provider Capology. 

Advertisement

 


Messi has spent more than half his life in Spain and still maintains strong roots in Barcelona, but is rarely interviewed by media outside Argentina. Widely acclaimed within his home country, especially after the 2022 victory, he struggled in the early years, partly due to his shyness and also because many fans drew tough comparisons with Diego Maradona.

 


It’s something he’s grappling with even today. In an interview with an Argentine streaming service earlier this year he described himself using a local term for a socially-awkward person, adding that he gets unsettled when daily plans change and watching TV at home alone is among his favorite pastimes.

Advertisement

 


Off-field Business 


Messi has relied heavily on his father Jorge for much of his off-field dealings, turning to him as agent, business manager and adviser. Alfonso Nebot Armisen, a little-known Spanish banker, has run his private investment firm since 2009. 

 

Advertisement


At times, though, his business has attracted the attention of Spanish tax authorities, along with peers including Ronaldo. A decade ago, he was found guilty along with Jorge of defrauding the Spanish government of about 4 million euros between 2007 and 2009 over income earned from image rights that went into shell companies. He was handed a prison sentence and fines, though ultimately avoided jail.

 


Since then, he’s been diversifying. In Dec. 2024, he listed a REIT on a small Spanish exchange, valued at $232 million. The company, Edificio Rostower Socimi, owns several hotels and other commercial real estate. 

 

Advertisement


He’s also been expanding into consumer goods: in 2024, he released the Más+ by Messi sports drink in partnership with Mark Anthony International SRL, the beverage group behind Mike’s Hard Lemonade. He also joined Argentine restaurant chain El Club de la Milanesa, which specialises in the type of breaded steak that’s a staple in the Latin American nation and one of Messi’s favorite dishes, as an investor — in part to help with its international expansion. 

 

Like Ronaldo, and perhaps with an eye to his post-playing days, he’s also building a portfolio of football clubs, with the recent announcement that he was acquiring the fifth-division Spanish Cornella team, adding to his stake in Deportivo LSM, the Uruguayan side he co-owns with his friend and former teammate Luis Suárez. Messi’s family also founded and run a lower-division club called Los Leones in their native city of Rosario. 


There may be more to come as Messi starts to think about retirement, according to comments he made at a business forum in Miami last year.

Advertisement

 


“Football has an expiry date,” he said. “Business is something I like, and I am learning about.”

 

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Former WWE star takes subtle dig at company while reacting to questionable picture

Published

on

A former WWE star took a subtle dig at the company. She did so while reacting to a questionable picture.

Scarlett Bordeaux worked for the WWE for several years. However, she spent most of her time as the valet for her husband, Karrion Kross. Despite only competing in a few matches for the company, she was able to get over with the fans. After leaving the sports entertainment juggernaut, she and her husband have been working on the independent scene for various promotions.

Recently, Shotzi took to social media to share a picture of herself spanking Gigi Dolin while other former WWE stars, Scarlett Bordeaux, Karrion Kross, Matt Riddle, and The Good Brothers celebrate as they look on. Scarlett reacted to the picture by taking a subtle dig at her former employer.

Advertisement

“Corporate hates this photo. 😬🍻”

Check out her tweet here.

Corporate could be a WWE reference since the company doesn’t allow its talent to post such pictures on public platforms.


Scarlett Bordeaux opened up about her time in WWE

When Scarlett arrived in World Wrestling Entertainment, the company was looking to move away from the divas era into the women’s revolution. Therefore, women were being involved in serious storylines and matches. However, Scarlett’s gimmick was a throwback to the previous era.

During an interview on D-Von Dudley’s YouTube channel, Scarlett revealed that she upset a lot of people in Stamford-based promotion due to her gimmick, which was a throwback to the previous era that the company was trying to move away from.

Advertisement

“I think they were pushing the Women’s Revolution in the way they were. And my character was the exact opposite of that. It was a throwback. It was a parody, ‘Bring sexy back to wrestling.’ Because all the girls were trying to be serious like the guys. I’m like, ‘No, no. Like, let’s just be a hot chick. Like, bring back bra and panty matches.’ And no one was doing that at the time. No one had their a**es out, no one was doing it, and it pi**ed a lot of people off, including women in the business,” she said.

youtube-cover

It remains to be seen what’s next for Scarlett and Karrion Kross.