Connect with us
DAPA Banner
DAPA Coin
DAPA
COIN PAYMENT ASSET
PRIVACY · BLOCKDAG · HOMOMORPHIC ENCRYPTION · RUST
ElGamal Encrypted MINE DAPA
🚫 GENESIS SOLD OUT
DAPAPAY COMING

Sports

Gattuso avoids future talk after Italy miss out FIFA World Cup again | Football News

Published

on


Italy coach Gennaro Gattuso said it is not the time to talk about his future despite the Azzurri failing to qualify for a third straight World Cup.


Even if Gattuso hasn’t made up his mind whether to stay or not, the Italian soccer federation gave a clear sign it would like him to remain on Tuesday.


Four-time World Cup winner Italy lost a penalty shootout at 66th-ranked Bosnia and Herzegovina in the European playoffs on Tuesday, after playing most of the match with 10 men.


“I’m not interested at all in talking about my future today,” Gattuso said. “It hurts, it really hurts. More than hurting me, it hurts to see this group which has really given everything in these months and I think we deserved to get back what we put in and I honestly think it’s too reductive and too immature to be talking about my future today.

Advertisement

 


“Here we should be talking about Italy, about the national team shirt, that it’s yet another blow even though this time we didn’t deserve it. We deserved more and that’s why my future doesn’t matter.” 
Italy was eliminated by Sweden and North Macedonia, respectively, in the qualifying playoffs for the last two World Cups.


Gattuso was hired last June to replace the fired Luciano Spalletti, with Italy’s World Cup qualifying hopes already flagging again.


He was given a contract until the end of this summer’s World Cup, with an automatic renewal until 2028 if Italy reached the tournament in North America.

Advertisement


“I have to praise Gattuso. I think he’s been a great coach, he is a great coach, I’ve asked him to stay on in charge of these players,” Italian soccer federation president Gabriele Gravina said.


However, whether Gravina himself should remain is also up for debate and he said he has already called for a federation council meeting next week to evaluate matters.


Gravina has overseen two sets of disappointing World Cup qualifiers after taking charge in 2018. He replaced Carlo Tavecchio, who quit after Italy failed to reach the 2018 World Cup.


There had already been calls for Gravina’s resignation but some fans see the problem as running even deeper.

Advertisement


“I feel really bad, the system is rotten, the football system in Italy is rotten. Like, it’s not possible. A country which is made for football and lives for football and now, like, everything is rotten,” said 30-year-old Federico Barbieri, outside a bar in Rome.


“We knew that the team has its limits but … not going to the World Cup three times in a row? Sweden, North Macedonia and Bosnia. What else can I say?” 
Not every Italy coach has paid for the Azzurri’s failure to reach the World Cup.


Gian Piero Ventura was fired after Italy lost to Sweden but his replacement, Roberto Mancini, kept his job despite Italy’s shock loss to North Macedonia in 2022.


That came just eight months after Mancini led the team to the European Championship title and the federation decided to stick with the coach who revitalized the national team.

Advertisement


Mancini surprisingly resigned just over a year later – going on to become Saudi Arabia coach two weeks later – and was replaced by Spalletti.


But Spalletti, who oversaw a disappointing Euro 2024 campaign, got just one World Cup qualifier in charge before he was fired, with Gattuso coming in.


Tuesday’s defeat added more misery for Italy’s once-proud national team, which won the World Cup four times.


“I grew up with an Italy that always came in the top four at the World Cup,” said 56-year-old building contractor Roberto Silvi. “I’ve seen Italy as world champion twice, and close another couple times.

Advertisement


“I took Italy’s qualifications for granted and now it seems like a nightmare to me. I don’t even believe it. The Italy that misses a World Cup is outside of the world. The Italy that misses three, if they had told me, I never would have believed it.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Gaël Monfils honoured ahead of final Roland Garros appearance

Published

on

Gaël Monfils was celebrated during an emotional “Gaël & Friends” event ahead of what is expected to be his final Roland Garros appearance before retiring at the end of the 2026 season.

Monfils has been one of tennis’ most entertaining players for more than 20 years. The French star turned professional in 2004, reached a career-high ranking of world No. 6, won 13 ATP titles, and became known for his athleticism, trick shots and connection with fans.

The tribute event in Paris featured stars like Novak Djokovic, Jannik Sinner, and Stefanos Tsitsipas.

  • Carlos Alcaraz withdraws from Wimbledon amid Injury RecoveryCarlos Alcaraz withdraws from Wimbledon amid Injury Recovery

Advertisement
Gaël Monfils honoured ahead of final Roland Garros appearanceGaël Monfils honoured ahead of final Roland Garros appearance
PARIS, FRANCE – MAY 21: Gael Monfils of France and wife Elina Svitolina of Ukraine during the Gael & Friends exhibition prior to the 2026 French Open at Roland Garros on May 21, 2026 in Paris, France (Photo by Robert Prange/Getty Images)

One of the most emotional moments at the event came from Monfils’ wife, Elina Svitolina, who was seen in tears during the celebration. Svitolina is also one of the biggest names in women’s tennis, currently ranked world No. 7 after winning the Rome title earlier this month.

The couple met in 2018, got married in 2021 and welcomed their daughter Skaï in 2022. Both players have continued competing at the top level while raising their child together.

Svitolina also wrote an emotional tribute describing Monfils as a “magician” because of the joy and energy he brought to tennis throughout his career.

The night ended with Monfils and Svitolina winning a mixed doubles exhibition match together in front of a packed Roland Garros crowd.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

David Haye rates Usyk’s chances against heavyweight greats like Lewis, Holyfield and Tyson

Published

on

Oleksandr Usyk has cleaned up at both cruiserweight and heavyweight. Now, one of just two other men to have ruled in both divisions, David Haye, has shared how he thinks the Ukrainian would have fared against heavyweight icons.

Usyk got his hands on the undisputed cruiserweight crown by scoring away wins over each of Krzysztof Glowacki, Mairis Briedis and Murat Gassiev to capture all four world titles.

It is his current heavyweight run that made Usyk a global superstar, twice defeating each of Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury and Daniel Dubois to become a two-time undisputed heavyweight champion.

Advertisement

As a result, the undefeated 39-year-old has established himself as the standout heavyweight of this generation, and when asked whether Usyk could have performed similarly in a stronger era, such as the 1990s, Haye told BoxingScene that he believes the Ukrainian ‘would have found a way’.

“Usyk, putting them in there with [Evander] Holyfield, [Mike] Tyson, Lennox [Lewis], he would have hung with the best of them,”

“He would have found a way. He’s shown consistently that he’s beat every man in and around his era that. It’s hard not to be a fan of someone who’s done that.

“It’d be the equivalent of me beating Tyson Fury, Wladimir Klitschko, Vitali Klitschko and anyone else.” 

Usyk takes on Dutch kickboxer Rico Verhoeven on Saturday night at the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt, in a bout that may do more for his celebrity than his legacy.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

NHL fans react to Cale Makar’s injury status for Game 2 vs Golden Knights

Published

on

Cale Makar remaining out for Game 2 against the Vegas Golden Knights had many NHL fans wondering what it could mean for the rest of the Western Conference Final.

The Colorado Avalanche defenseman was ruled out Friday morning after coach Jared Bednar confirmed Makar would miss a second straight game with an upper-body injury.

After the update was shared by Elliotte Friedman on X, fans quickly reacted.

“This changes the series. Not that one player should. But their best defenseman, a point producer, quarterbacks the powerplay, great plus-minus player. If Vegas can snag Game 2 before going home, they’re in a great spot,” one user wrote.

Another fan pointed to Makar’s overall impact on Colorado’s game.

“That’s a massive blow for Colorado because Makar changes the entire pace structure and confidence of the team whenever he’s on the ice. In playoff hockey losing a player who can control games from the blue line affects every matchup immediately.”

Others questioned how the Avalanche planned to handle Vegas without him.

“Do they honestly think that they don’t need him against Vegas?” one user commented.

Another compared Colorado’s situation to playing short-handed in chess.

Advertisement

“Avalanche without Cale Makar is like trying to win a chess match without your queen. Technically possible, but nobody serious is betting on it.”

Others wondered what Makar’s condition might actually be.

“I wonder how bad his injury must be for him not to play when you hear players playing through MCL sprains, torn MCL, and fractured ribs,” one fan wrote.

Makar is still listed as day-to-day and has continued skating despite missing games. He took part in drills before Game 1 and returned for more work at the team facility ahead of Game 2, going through skating, passing, shooting and positioning exercises before joining Colorado’s optional morning skate.


Cale Makar’s Game 2 absence raises more questions for Colorado

Paul Bissonnette had already raised concerns about Colorado’s chances if Cale Makar could not return in the Vegas series. With the Avalanche defenseman now missing Game 2 as well, that question is still hanging over Colorado.

“If there’s no Makar this series they’re done… Vegas has all things clicking and obviously the superstars are being superstars, so I think if there’s no Makar, this series could end in 6 games,” Bissonnette said on Spittin’ Chiclets.

Colorado saw some of those concerns show up in Game 1. After the Avalanche’s 4-2 loss, coach Jared Bednar said there was “a trickle-down effect” from playing without Makar, though he added that the team still had to find a way through it.

Advertisement

Bednar had to lean heavily on the rest of his defensemen in the opener. Devon Toews, Brett Kulak, Sam Malinski, Josh Manson and Brent Burns all took on bigger roles. Four of those five defensemen logged more than 19 minutes, while Jack Ahcan saw less than eight minutes of ice time.

Before the Western Conference Final began, Cale Makar had four goals and one assist in nine playoff games and had played 29 shifts in Colorado’s comeback win over Minnesota that closed out the previous round.