Connect with us

Sports

Gilas Women beat Senegal, end Fiba Pre-OQT campaign on high note

Published

on

Gilas Pilipinas women after beating Senegal in the FIBA Women's Olympic Pre-qualifying TournamentGilas Pilipinas women after beating Senegal in the FIBA Women's Olympic Pre-qualifying Tournament

Gilas Pilipinas women after beating Senegal in the FIBA Women’s Olympic Pre-qualifying Tournament. –FIBA PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines—Gilas Pilipinas Women’s run in the 2026 Fiba Women’s Olympic Pre-qualifying tournament in Guadalajara, Mexico, may not have been stellar, but they ended their campaign on a high note.

The Philippines defeated Senegal, 79-75, in its final game of the pre-qualifiers Friday to finish with a 1-2 record in Group B.

Article continues after this advertisement

Prior to the win, Gilas Women absorbed losses to Mexico and Canada.

Advertisement

“What a difference a day makes,” Gilas Women coach BT Toews said. “They’re definitely not Canada but their ranking is better than ours. I said yesterday that I thought our defense was getting better and we showed it today, big-time.”

READ: BT Toews eyes big future for Gilas Women, one game at a time

The victory also marked Toews’ first win as the program’s head coach.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

The Philippines held a commanding 61-50 lead heading into the fourth quarter before Senegal trimmed the deficit late.

The Senegalese cut the lead to two, 69-67, with 5:02 left, but Vanessa de Jesus, who finished with 16 points, kept Gilas in control with a triple for a 72-67 advantage.

Senegal came even closer at 73-71 before Kacey Dela Rosa answered with another 3-pointer to put the Philippines up, 76-71, with 2:17 remaining.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

Dela Rosa and Sophia Dignadice finished with 16 points apiece for the Philippines, while Jack Animam added 14.

Cierra Dillard topscored for Senegal with 25 points. Khadija Faye and Ndioma Kane turned in 14 points each in the defeat.



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.


Your subscription has been successful.
Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Diamondbacks move Ketel Marte to IL after in-person meeting

Published

on

Aug 16, 2026; Cumberland, Georgia, USA; Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte (4) runs to the dugout during the game against the Arizona Diamondbacks during the fourth inning at Truist Park. Mandatory Credit: Jordan Godfree-Imagn ImagesAug 16, 2026; Cumberland, Georgia, USA; Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte (4) runs to the dugout during the game against the Arizona Diamondbacks during the fourth inning at Truist Park. Mandatory Credit: Jordan Godfree-Imagn Images

The Arizona Diamondbacks reinstated second baseman Ketel Marte from the restricted list and transferred the three-time All-Star to the 10-day injured list due to left knee inflammation on Thursday.

Marte and his agent, Charisse Espinosa-Dash, met with Diamondbacks general manager Mike Hazen and manager Torey Lovullo on Thursday afternoon in Scottsdale, Ariz., to discuss what transpired in the wake of Marte not showing up for the team’s Monday game in Boston.

According to Hazen, Marte received an injection in the knee to help with the inflammation that was found by an MRI.

“I’m not gonna get into specifics,” Hazen said of his talks with Marte and Espinosa-Dash. “I feel like the conversation and meeting was productive. We discussed the last week. That, obviously, I’m not going to get into. He’ll talk to his teammates at some point and we’ll go from there.”

Lovullo had texted with Marte but the two had not spoken since the Monday no-show, and teammates also struggled to track down the 32-year-old veteran. Arizona shortstop Geraldo Perdomo said he did hear from his double-play partner on Tuesday and confirmed the MRI.

Advertisement

Marte exited the Diamondbacks’ Aug. 14 game against the Atlanta Braves with knee soreness and sat out the next day. He returned to play second base on Sunday and traveled with the team for the series against the Red Sox.

The drama began when he did not report to the ballpark on Monday, leaving Lovullo in the dark about his lineup until 20 minutes before game time. The team subsequently put Marte on the restricted list.

Due to the fact that Marte was on the restricted list, his IL stint cannot be backdated to Sunday. He will need to miss 10 days, starting with Thursday.

Advertisement

On Wednesday, Arizona snapped a three-game losing streak with a 7-6, 10-inning win in Boston. The Diamondbacks, who were idle on Thursday, will host the Cincinnati Reds for a three-game series that begins on Friday.

The Diamondbacks are one game behind the San Diego Padres for the final wild-card spot in the National League.

–Field Level Media

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Pegula survives Anisimova to reach Cincinnati Open semifinal

Published

on

Jessica Pegula of the United States hugs Amanda Anisimova of the United States after a match on day ten of the Cincinnati OpenJessica Pegula of the United States hugs Amanda Anisimova of the United States after a match on day ten of the Cincinnati Open

Jessica Pegula of the United States hugs Amanda Anisimova of the United States after a match on day ten of the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 20, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. Emilee Chinn/Getty Images/AFP 

CINCINNATI–Jessica Pegula defeated Amanda Anisimova 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (7/4) in the Cincinnati Open on Friday and will face Poland’s Iga Swiatek in the semifinals.

Sixth-seeded Anisimova converted all five of her break points against Pegula, breaking her three times in the second set, before the world number three rebounded to win.

Article continues after this advertisement

Pegula is setting WTA records at age 32. She is the fourth player since 2009 to reach five or more Masters 1000 quarter-finals after turning 30, along with Li Na, Serena Williams and Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Advertisement

Pegula needed just 34 minutes to pocket the opening set.

But Anisimova struck back in the second, earning a double break for 4-0.

After Anisimova squared the match at one-set each, Pegula regrouped with an opening break in the deciding set.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

They would each be broken twice as they went to the tiebreaker, where Pegula sealed the win on her first match point.

Pegula’s win was her sixth without a loss to Anisimova.

“I know I have a good record against her, but literally every single match is like it was today,” she said.



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Advertisement


Your subscription has been successful.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

2 Reasons Tony Khan should sign Ilja Dragunov to AEW and 2 reasons he should avoid doing so

Published

on

Tony Khan is known for signing top talent to AEW, and recent ex-WWE star Ilja Dragunov could be a prospect. Earlier today, PWInsider reported that The Mad Dragon’s WWE contract was already up and he had departed the company.

The Mad Dragon rose to prominence as one of the hard-hitting wrestlers of this generation. He signed with WWE in 2019 and had a remarkable run in NXT UK and then in NXT, which led to his call-up to the main roster in 2024. After a good start on RAW, Dragunov was sidelined with a torn ACL injury for a year. He returned to WWE on the October 17, 2025 episode of SmackDown, and won the United States title from Sami Zayn in his first match back in the Stamford-based promotion.

Advertisement

He had begun his resurgence; however, Dragunov was not seen on WWE television after April 2026. Due to his contract expiring, Dragunov is a free agent and could head to rival company AEW. At the same time, Tony Khan signing Dragunov might not be such a great idea.

So, here are two reasons Khan should sign him and two reasons he should not make this move:

#1. Should Sign – Potential for multiple exciting matches

There is no denying the exceptional in-ring acumen of Ilja Dragunov, which he proved time and time again during his run in WWE. The former WWE United States Champion produced stellar in-ring showdowns against top names like Gunther, Sami Zayn, Carmelo Hayes and more. He could bring his hard-hitting style to All Elite Wrestling if they sign him and deliver amazing matches against the talents there.

One of them could be the rising star, Kyle Fletcher. The Protostar and The Mad Dragon had squared off in their sole singles match at PROGRESS Chapter 100 in 2019, and Fletcher hinted at one more dance and Dragunov’s arrival to AEW right after the news of his WWE departure broke. Another top showdown could be against AEW top star MJF, who recently fired shots at him on social media.

Advertisement

Apart from them, Ilja Dragunov could test his mettle against legendary superstars currently signed to Tony Khan’s company. These could be names like Adam Copeland and Chris Jericho, who are still at the top of their game and could deliver highly exhilarating matches against the recently departed WWE star.

#2. Should not sign – Ilja Dragunov has not proven to be good at cutting promos

Ilja Dragunov has proven his worth as an in-ring competitor in WWE. However, the same could not be said when it comes to an important aspect that makes a wrestler a top attraction in the Sports Entertainment business: promo delivery. As seen during the majority of The Mad Dragon’s run, he was hardly given time on the microphone, and whenever he did get it, Dragunov’s promo skills failed to reach the same level as his in-ring talent. This led to his failure to become a major name, and the same could happen if he signs with AEW, which is a big reason Tony Khan should not bring him on board.

#3. Should sign – Capitalize on potential wasted by WWE

Ilja Dragunov has been credited by many as a ‘star in the making’ during his run in WWE after impressive stints in NXT UK, NXT, and SmackDown. However, WWE failed to capitalize on his immense potential because of lackluster booking and months off television. Tony Khan could succeed where his competitor failed and bring Dragunov to his roster to build him up as a top star, much like ex-WWE stars such as Swerve Strickland and Toni Storm, both of whom had less-than-impressive WWE runs and later became marquee names for the Jacksonville-based company.

#4. Should not sign – Stacked roster

While Ilja Dragunov is a top prospect for Tony Khan to sign to All Elite Wrestling, a major roadblock could be their current stacked roster. The AEW head honcho has signed a lot of talent over the years, and many of them have been lost in the shuffle. In fact, multiple wrestlers are still signed with the promotion, not being featured on television and still being paid by Khan. According to a recent report by Wrestling Observer’s Bryan Alvarez, Khan does not cut talent from his roster, like WWE does every year. Alvarez also added that he was given the impression that several AEW wrestlers would not be released, but the promotion would just let their contracts expire.

Advertisement

“I’ve been given the impression that there are a lot of AEW contracts he’s not gonna cut, but they are just going to quietly expire, probably like a lot of people.” – H/T Ringside News

The same could happen with a talent like Ilja Dragunov. If he signs with AEW, he could be used well for a while, but then be sidelined on the bench due to limited TV spots or poor creative booking and eventually released from the company.