Connect with us

Sports

Hard Kick’s Talindert Stakes win caps Hayes family’s hard week

Published

on

In the wake of losing a legendary juvenile from Lindsay Park’s distinguished past the day prior, the Hayes clan uncovered a young contender who could rise to become the operation’s next elite talent.

Hard Kick, gelding sired by All Too Hard, made a dazzling debut by demolishing foes in the $175,000 Listed Talindert Stakes (1100m), the curtain-raiser for Saturday’s Black Caviar Lightning at Flemington.

The result landed scarcely 24 hours after champion filly Miss Finland’s death aged 22, and J D Hayes noted that while Hard Kick trails the accomplishments of the 2006 Golden Slipper winner, he was ecstatic seeing the newcomer validate the stable’s confidence.

“What a thrill, he’s been very well-educated at home and we thought he was pretty good and he won with authority there,” Hayes, who trains in partnership with brothers Ben and Will, said.

Advertisement

“We’re not sure he’s as good as Miss Finland, but he looked pretty good there.”

Among Miss Finland’s five Group 1 conquests was the Slipper, alongside triumphs in the Australian Guineas, Thousand Guineas, VRC Oaks and Storm Queen Stakes for trainer David Hayes.

The $3 favourite, sourced for $30,000 as an Adelaide Magic Millions yearling and later traded for $140,000 at Inglis Ready2Race Sale last year, Hard Kick seized the lead with brisk speed and drew away decisively by 2-3/4 lengths from Zambales in 1:03.90.

Diameter ($13) trailed by another 1-3/4 lengths for third.

Advertisement

Rider Damian Lane, familiar with the colt from preparatory gallops, lavished praise and indicated a potential upgrade in his estimation.

“I thought before today that he was a good horse, but just off the better ones, but off the back of that, he might be right up there,” Lane said.

Hard Kick is eyed for a shot at emulating Miss Finland’s close call in next week’s Group 1 Blue Diamond Stakes, with JD Hayes keeping doors ajar.

A $55,000 fee applies for late entry to the $2 million prize as original nominations bypassed him.

Advertisement

“We’ll keep the option open next week as he did win with head on his chest there, but there’s plenty of options going ahead with this horse. It’s very exciting,” Hayes said.

Visit the online bookmakers to engage with Talindert Stakes wagering.

The post Hayes family’s Hard week ends on a high first appeared on Just Horse Racing.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

“We’re about to bottle this league”, “I’m finished”

Published

on

Barcelona fans have been left feeling pessimistic after forward Ferran Torres was named in the starting XI to face Girona in LaLiga. The Spanish giants are looking to reclaim top spot in the Spanish top-flight having dropped to second behind rivals Real Madrid.

Hansi Flick’s side saw their bitter rivals move two points clear at the summit of LaLiga after defeating Real Sociedad on Saturday. The German tactician has made two changes to the XI that lost 4-0 to Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey last time out.

The duo of Raphinha and Gerard Martin have been introduced in the XI in place of Marc Casado and Alejandro Balde. Up front, Torres has retained his place in the XI, with veteran striker Robert Lewandowski starting on the bench for La Blaugrana.

Advertisement

Flick’s decision to name Torres in the starting line-up has not gone down very well with the Barcelona faithful, leading to reactions on X. One fan was unhappy with Torres’ inclusion, fearing that their side are about to bottle the league.

Another fan was perplexed with the decision to name the Spaniard in the XI.

A fan was left feeling disappointed by the inclusion of Torres in the line-up.

Another fan pointed out that the inclusion of the 25-year-old means they start a man short.

Advertisement

A fan was left in disbelief following Flick’s decision to name the Spaniard.

Another fan was unhappy with the inclusion of Torres but chose to leave their comments unspoken until after the game.

A fan was left exasperated with the decision to play Torres from the start.

Ferran Torres has scored three goals in his last ten appearances for Barcelona across all competitions. The former Manchester City man has appeared 32 times for the Spanish giants this season, scoring 16 goals and providing an assist.

Advertisement

Raphinha returns for Barcelona against Girona

Barcelona forward Raphinha has been included in the starting XI for their LaLiga clash against neighbours Girona. The Brazil international has struggled with injuries this season, and has been limited to only 22 appearances across all competitions.

Raphinha last appeared for La Blaugrana in their 3-1 win over Elche last month, when he was forced off after the first half with an injury. The Brazilian missed games against Albacete, Mallorca, and Atletico Madrid due to his injury.

Hansi Flick will be pleased to be able to call on Raphinha against Girona as he hopes to see his side return to the summit of LaLiga. The former Leeds United man has scored eight goals and provided three assists in 14 league appearances for Barcelona this season.