Connect with us

Sports

India Open 2028 to be held in Guwahati, confirms BAI secretary general | Badminton News

Published

on

India Open 2028 to be held in Guwahati, confirms BAI secretary general
BAI secretary general Sanjay Mishra (PTI Photo)

NEW DELHI: The 2028 India Open will be staged in Guwahati, with the Badminton Association of India (BAI) confirming that the tournament will temporarily move out of New Delhi due to Republic Day security arrangements.BAI secretary general Sanjay Mishra said the Super 750 event, scheduled for the last week of January 2028, would clash with heightened security protocols in the national capital around January 26.“The 2028 India Open will be held in the last week of January and due to the tournament dates clashing with Republic Day security arrangements in the National Capital, we felt that only for that year, we should shift the tournament to Guwahati,” Mishra said on Sunday.He added that the relocation is a one-off decision, with the tournament set to return to New Delhi the following year.“It will return to New Delhi in 2029,” he continued.The India Open will be held from February 2–7 next year, shifting from its previous January slot to address player complaints. World No. 4 Anders Antonsen, a four-time World Championships medallist, has missed the India Open for the last three editions, including this year, due to pollution and coped a fine of USD 5,000 for his latest withdrawal.Earlier in the week, Badminton World Federation (BWF) Secretary General Thomas Lund had said the governing body is continuing to examine the scheduling of India Open.“There’s obviously a lot of logistical things when you do these things, and we have obviously been in close dialogue around the whole calendar,” Lund had told reporters.“Coming into 2027, it’s quite a bit of quite short space and for now it hasn’t been possible to totally move around, move out of the first quarter.”He acknowledged that a complete restructuring of the calendar has not yet been possible because of domestic scheduling commitments, but said the BWF has already made improvements and would continue to assess further changes.“Right now it hasn’t been possible due to domestic load to actually totally move around in the calendar, but something we are looking at,” Lund said.“But we have actually looked into a schedule that has been improved and will be improved further down the road.”The India Open has been held at the KD Jadhav Indoor Hall in New Delhi in recent editions and is one of the marquee stops on the BWF World Tour calendar. Guwahati, which has previously hosted major badminton events including the BWF World Junior Championships and international team tournaments, will now become the first city outside New Delhi to host the India Open in recent years.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

49ers activate TE George Kittle (Achilles) off PUP list

Published

on

Aug 20, 2026; Inglewood, California, USA; San Francisco 49ers tight end George Kittle leaves the field after the game against the Los Angeles Chargers at SoFi Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn ImagesAug 20, 2026; Inglewood, California, USA; San Francisco 49ers tight end George Kittle leaves the field after the game against the Los Angeles Chargers at SoFi Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

The San Francisco 49ers activated star tight end George Kittle from the physically unable to perform list on Sunday.

The move represents a significant step forward in his recovery from a torn right Achilles sustained on Jan. 11 in the 49ers’ 23-19 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles in an NFC wild-card game.

Had Kittle remained on PUP list through the Aug. 30 roster cutdown day, he would not have been eligible to play for San Francisco until Week 5. Now, Kittle has a chance to suit up for the 49ers when they begin the NFL season against the Los Angeles Rams on Sept. 10 in Melbourne, Australia.

Kittle, 32, had 57 receptions for 628 yards and seven touchdowns in 11 games last season.

Advertisement

The seven-time Pro Bowl selection has 595 career catches for 8,008 yards and 52 touchdowns in 124 games with San Francisco. He has four 1,000-yard seasons.

–Field Level Media

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Alex Eala won’t change approach, even in rich US Open

Published

on

Alex Eala Alexandra Eala US Open Grand Slam tennisAlex Eala Alexandra Eala US Open Grand Slam tennis

Alexandra Eala, of the Philippines, reacts during a match against Belinda Bencic, of Switzerland, during a round of 16 match at the National Bank Open tennis tournament in Toronto, on Sunday, Aug. 9, 2026. (Keito Newman/The Canadian Press via AP)

No matter how the draw turns out, Alex Eala could be headed for a windfall at the US Open as she participates in two of the events, with a record payout for the tournament at the Flushing Meadows in Queens, New York.

That will be the farthest thing in the mind of the Filipino superstar, however, as she sticks to what has been a successful routine for her so far.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

“I kind of go with the flow,” Eala told journalists when asked if she prepares differently depending on where she is playing. “I think at the end of the day, [they have] the same lines [on the court] and it’s the same size ball.”

READ: Alex Eala begins US Open training at Arthur Ashe Stadium

“So if I guess, of course, each city brings [something different] and the crowds, especially, bring different energy, But when you’re on court and you know what you have to do, nothing changes much.”

Eala will be on the court a lot more than usual as she guns for her first singles Grand Slam title and battles some of the biggest names in the sport when she teams up with Canadian ace Felix Auger-Aliassime in mixed doubles.

Advertisement
Article continues after this advertisement

Auger-Aliassime has expressed excitement over the chance to experience the kind of atmosphere Eala brings into games, as the 21-year-old standout has been the most popular player on the women’s tour for quite some time now.

READ: Alex Eala slowly becoming more versatile, complete player

“It’s a great opportunity to kind of feel what it’s like to have that Eala effect and her fanbase behind me,” Auger-Aliassime said.

Advertisement
Article continues after this advertisement

“It’s kinda funny because she’s younger than me, but I feel like she has the fan base and she’s carrying the crowd,” he added. “So it’s going to be interesting.”

Eala will be seeded into the singles draw, where the champion will get a top prize of $5.5 million (roughly P339 million).

Making it to the round of 16, like she did at Wimbledon earlier this year, would guarantee $480,000 (about P30 million).

Advertisement

The top prize in mixed doubles is $1 million (around P62 million).

The draw for the mixed doubles was being held at press time, while the singles draw will take place on Friday, with Eala expected to be at the upper half of the seed bracket because of her world ranking.



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.


Your subscription has been successful.
Advertisement

With the US Open sitting on one of the biggest Filipino communities in New York, the tournament is expected to provide another showcase of Eala’s drawing power.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Kristin Juszczyk serves modeling opportunity to DeVonta Smith’s, Sam Darnold’s wives in her ‘Offseason’ brand’s Fall campaign: WATCH

Published

on

San Francisco 49ers fullback Kyle Juszczyk’s wife, Kristin Juszczyk, made a big announcement on her Instagram Story on Sunday.

In the Instagram Reel, Kristin introduced four NFL players’ partners one by one. Each woman wore officially licensed NFL clothes from different teams.

Parker Henry, the wife of Patriots tight end Hunter Henry, wore a New England-themed top.

Katie Darnold, the wife of Seahawks quarterback Sam Darnold, wore a blue Seattle Seahawks top with jeans.

Looking to predict NFL playoff Scenarios? Try our NFL Playoff Predictor for real-time simulations and stay ahead of the game!

Eagles star DeVonta Smith‘s wife, Mya Danielle, also appeared in the video. She wore a green patterned top, which is the Eagles’ signature color.

Advertisement

Detroit Lions running back Jahmyr Gibbs’ girlfriend, Nicole Madison, wore a white Lions shirt with black shorts.

At the end of the clip, the four women collectively stated, “I am wearing Off Season.”

Advertisement

Kristin later shared the video on her Instagram Story and wrote a sweet message about the campaign.

“Together We Are Fans. 🏈🤍,” she wrote. “One of my favorite things about football has always been the way it brings people together. Different teams, different cities, different stories — but a shared love for the game.”

She added:

“Over the years, the NFL has brought so many incredible women into my life, and I’ve learned that while we may be rooting for different teams on Sundays, we share so much more than we realize.”

Kristin continued:

“That’s what this campaign is about. The friendships, the community, and the connections that exist far beyond the field. Because sports have this incredible power to turn…”

Source: (Via Instagram/ @kristinjuszczyk)Source: (Via Instagram/ @kristinjuszczyk)
Source: (Via Instagram/ @kristinjuszczyk)

Kristin also showed some love to the women in the campaign in the comments section of the original video.

“I just love you girls!!! ❤️❤️,” she wrote while tagging Parker, Katie, Mya and Nicole.

Source: (Via Instagram/ @offseasonbrand)Source: (Via Instagram/ @offseasonbrand)
Source: (Via Instagram/ @offseasonbrand)

The first part of the NFL Fall ’26 collection will be released on Aug. 26 at 9 a.m. PT/12 p.m. ET.

Kristin Juszczyk’s “Off Season” apparel brand launched in January 2025. It was created as a luxury sports fashion collaboration between fashion designer Kristin Juszczyk, Skims co-founder Emma Grede, the NFL and Fanatics.

Advertisement

Drake Maye’s wife Ann Michael reacts to Kristin Juszczyk’s latest ‘Off Season’ campaign

After Kristin Juszczyk’s brand, “Off Season,” rolled out its latest promotional campaign, New England Patriots QB Drake Maye’s wife, Ann Michael Maye, shared her enthusiasm.

“Hiiiiii girls” she commented and added laughing-with-tears emojis.

She followed up with another comment declaring,

“This is awesome ❤️”.

Source: (Via Instagram/ @offseasonbrand)Source: (Via Instagram/ @offseasonbrand)
Source: (Via Instagram/ @offseasonbrand)

Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes’ wife, Brittany, also liked the campaign.

Also Read: Bo Nix’s wife Izzy reveals raw emotions as Broncos QB returns from grueling 6-month rehab to 33-13 loss to Packers in preseason

Zach Wilson’s wife Nicolette reveals newborn baby Frankie Belle’s face 1 day after Saints’ 34-0 loss to Rams

Advertisement