Connect with us

Sports

President Donald Trump calls Scott Jamieson after Scot ends 14-year wait for second title

Published

on

Nexo Championship, Trump International Golf Links

-11 S Jamieson (Sco); -9 M Jordan (Eng); -7 A Sullivan (Eng); -6 Q Vidal (Spa), M Kinhult (Swe), K Nakajima (Japan)

Full leaderboard

Earning a first DP World Tour win in 14 years – and effectively saving his job by doing so – would be enough to disturb the composure of most golfers.

Advertisement

But as Scott Jamieson tried to come to terms with ending his drought at the Nexo Championship in Aberdeenshire, the 42-year-old Scot found himself speaking to President Donald Trump on a video call.

It has become tradition that the United States president contacts the winner at Trump International Golf Links in the immediate aftermath of their success.

And Glaswegian Jamieson was the bewildered recipient of the call this time, following compatriot Grant Forrest last year.

“He was very complimentary and it sounds like he was actually watching it,” Jamieson told BBC Sport Scotland. “He said he was following along, so it was really cool… I mean he is the President of the United States.”

Advertisement

That Jamieson kept his shape over a tense final few holes is testment to his resolve. The Scot posted a final round 67 to come from three shots back and beat England’s overnight leader Matthew Jordan by a couple of strokes.

He finished on 11 under par, for just his second DP World Tour triumph, with his last success coming in 2012 at the Nelson Mandela Championship.

And given he looked at significant risk of losing his card, it has given Jamieson the security of knowing his playing rights are secure for next season at least.

“I didn’t realise it had been 14 years,” he conceded. “I practice every day and explore different ways to get better and sometimes it is like you are just banging your head against a wall. So the odd win here and there makes it all worthwhile.

Advertisement

“There have been times where I ‘ve thought ‘I might be losing my job here’ so thankfully I don’t need to worry about that for over the next few weeks.

“And hopefully this may open up some doors to kick on and try and push up the ladder.”

Defending champion Forrest endured a tough Sunday, with a score of 80 taking him to a 10 over total.

But fellow Scots Euan Walker and Connor Syme were among those in a share of 10th place on four under.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

You shouldn’t care about this common wedge characteristic

Published

on

When it comes to picking the right wedge, there are an awful lot of factors to consider, and there might be a few different options that work for your game.

From shape to bounce to grind to loft to shaft to offset, the list goes on and on.

On this week’s episode of GOLF’s Fully Equipped, co-host Jake Morrow explained one common wedge characterisitc that he’s actually no longer looking at when he’s picking his wedges.

“I’ve started to really not care about what the bounce says at all,” Morrow said. “Because I think it’s just a number associated with the shape, and the shape is infinitely more important than whatever that number is.”

Advertisement

The measurement of bounce often differs between OEMs. One company’s low-bounce wedge could have a similar grind to another’s mid- or even high-bounce wedge. You may even see trends in the next few years of companies removing the bounce number from wedges.

View Product

Morrow then explained that he looks for the visual of how the leading edge sits at address. If it’s a little higher off the ground, then he knows the wedge will have some bounce at the bottom and allow him to be a little more aggressive with his attack angle, which is what he wants.

He also explained that there’s a difference between finding the right lob wedge and the rest of his set. It can actually be easier for him to find a lob wedge than a sand and gap wedge.

“I can get over the look of a 60 a little bit quicker than I can over the look of the 50 and the 56,” Morrow said. “The 56 for me, the biggest thing it has to do is look good and play well out of the bunker. A 60 has to do a bunch of things. And then the 50 has just got to look good and go the right distance. That’s kind of my criteria”

Advertisement

A lot of that, Morrow said he could learn from hitting balls of a mat, which means, yes, it is OK to get fit for wedges indoors and you’ll likely end up with something that works well for you.

For more from Morrow and co-host Johnny Wunder, listen to the full episode of GOLF’s Fully Equipped here, or watch it below.

Want to overhaul your bag in 2026? Find a club-fitting location near you at True Spec Golf.

Advertisement

“>

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

PSG heavily favoured to win sixth successive Ligue 1 title

Published

on

Paris Saint-Germain are the overwhelming favourites to continue their dominance of Ligue 1, although there are no shortage of hopefuls seeking to dethrone them.

PSG, who have also won the last two editions of the Champions League, have ​been boosted by ‌new arrivals this season including Spain‘s Ferran Torres, the scorer of the only ⁠goal in last month’s World Cup final.

Watch moreChampions League: PSG make history with victory over Arsenal

“Ferran is an international-level player,” coach Luis Enrique said. “He fits perfectly with what we’re looking for. He can ‌play anywhere in attack, with a great mentality.”

Advertisement

PSG have also bought Maghnes Akliouche and Lucas ⁠Digne, both in France’s squad at the World Cup, as well as Belgian Mika Godts, signed this week from Ajax Amsterdam.

Unfit for play

The French ⁠champions have been forced to move ​their Ligue 1 opener against Stade Rennais on Sunday after scorching summer heat left their ​Parc ‌des Princes pitch unsafe, ⁠the club said.

PSG alerted France’s professional football league (LFP) on ‌Monday to the poor condition of ⁠the playing surface. A specialist team inspected the pitch and ruled it ​unfit for play, the LFP ‌said.

The match will instead be played at Rennes’ Roazhon Park.

Advertisement

Read moreIn pictures: Paris hosts PSG victory parade after back-to-back Champions League titles

The extreme heat prevented the ‌grass, which PSG grows from seed rather than installing ​as rolled turf, from developing properly, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters. ​The stadium’s concrete structure intensified the conditions, ​the person added.

The club’s Qatari-backed resources have ensured they are able to attract ​a steady stream of talent as they set off in search of a ‌15th French championship and sixth in a row.

However, a rare defeat in last weekend’s Trophée des Champions against Racing Lens allows the chasing pack to dream of toppling them.

Advertisement

Lens finished six points adrift of PSG last season in second ‌spot, and won the French Cup. And while they have lost coach Pierre Sage to Crystal Palace, German Dino Toppmöller made a winning start ​in the season-opening super cup encounter.

Modest hopes

Lille, whose third-place finish last season means they qualify directly for the group phase of the Champions League, have a new coach in 36-year-old Davide Ancelotti.

Former Brazil ​international Filipe Luis has taken over at Monaco, who had a disappointing campaign by finishing seventh and ​have offloaded injury-plagued Paul Pogba, who had little impact last season.

Olympique de ​Marseille were runners-up twice to PSG over the last five campaigns, but with Bruno Genesio arriving from Lille to take the helm they look to be ​starting a rebuild that will take more than one season for them to be genuine contenders.

Advertisement

Marseille, who open the league campaign at home to Racing Strasbourg on Friday, were last champions in 2010.

Troyes and Le Mans are the two newly ⁠promoted sides, replacing Nantes ​and Metz, while Nice managed to keep their top-flight status by beating Saint-Étienne over two legs in the promotion-relegation playoff at the end of May.

(FRANCE 24 with Reuters)

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

D’Tigress Suffer Heavy Defeat to Belgium in World Cup Warm-Up

Published

on

Nigeria’s D’Tigress suffered a heavy 90-55 defeat to Belgium in their latest World Cup warm-up game, SportsRation Reports.

D’Tigress struggled after the half-time break as Belgium raised their game and pulled away to secure a convincing victory.

The Nigerian team will now look to bounce back in their remaining warm-up matches against Mali and Puerto Rico as preparations for the World Cup continue.

  • NPFL Referees to Use Communication Gadgets Next SeasonNPFL Referees to Use Communication Gadgets Next Season

Advertisement

The games will give D’Tigress another chance to improve their performance and build confidence ahead of the tournament.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

NFL analyst puts Deshaun Watson on blast for claiming home fans booing QB was “personal”

Published

on

Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson is competing with Shedeur Sanders for the starting role. Watson, who has not played in the NFL since his Achilles tear in 2024, was booed by fans during the preseason game against the Buffalo Bills.

Watson went 5-for-12 for 36 passing yards and one interception and was booed by fans as he exited the home preseason game. Following the game, the veteran quarterback said the reaction from fans was “personal.”

“I think the whole world knows it has nothing to do with the performance,” Watson said. “It’s a little bit more personal than that. So, I think it’s a disrespectful thing.”

NFL commentator Joe reacted to Watson’s comments after he was booed by the Browns fans.

Looking to predict NFL playoff Scenarios? Try our NFL Playoff Predictor for real-time simulations and stay ahead of the game!

Advertisement

“Yeah, dude. You’re widely believed to be a s*x criminal, you are the highest paid QB ever, the Browns replaced a star QB with you, and you’ve been objectively abysmal ever since leaving Houston. I’d be kind of worried if they didn’t hate you.”

Yeah, dude. You’re widely believed to be a s*x criminal, you are the highest paid QB ever, the Browns replaced a star QB with you, and you have been objectively abysmal ever since leaving Houston. I’d be kind of worried if they didn’t hate you.

Watson, who signed a blockbuster five-year, $230 million deal with the Browns in 2022 after a trade from the Houston Texans, has managed just 19 games with a 9-10 record, 3,365 yards, 19 touchdowns and 12 interceptions over four seasons.

Apart from his injury struggles, Watson’s off-field controversy has also sparked criticism. He faced 27 civil lawsuits accusing him of se*ual misconduct and assault during massage therapy sessions.

Although he settled the lawsuits and wasn’t convicted, he was suspended for 11 games and was handed a $5 million fine by the NFL in 2022 in the wake of the allegations.

Advertisement

Also Read: “Such a loser,” “Lack of awareness is crazy”: NFL fans rip Deshaun Watson for “playing victim card” & calling out Browns fanbase for booing him

Also Read: “It’s a disrespectful thing”: Deshaun Watson rips Browns fans for booing him with “personal” vendetta

Shedeur Sanders didn’t “appreciate” boos from Browns fans for Deshaun Watson

Deshaun Watson, who hopes to reclaim his spot on the Browns lineup, faces competition from second-year quarterback Shedeur Sanders for the starting role.

Despite the competition, Sanders didn’t “appreciate” the reaction from fans during the Bills game.

Advertisement

“Yeah, I mean, in general, I don’t appreciate that at all,” Sanders said. “Regardless of competition, we’re all human beings. I think we all need to understand that. In this room too, we’re all humans. I don’t do things to humans that I wouldn’t want done to me.

“For all the fans, we appreciate you showing up, and however you feel about the situation with Deshaun and everything, I think it’s more about a bigger purpose and it’s respect. We’re going out there to win games, doing everything we can. So I don’t really appreciate that.”

It will be interesting to see the reaction from Browns fans if Watson is named the starting quarterback over Sanders for the 2026 season after Saturday’s fallout.