Here are your Cardiff City headlines for Monday, May 18.
Cardiff City set to land another Premier League talent
Cardiff City are poised to sign another highly-rated Premier League academy talent after agreeing a deal to bring teenage midfielder Pedro Araujo to south Wales from Crystal Palace.
The 16-year-old attacking midfielder will sign a scholarship agreement with Cardiff and is set to officially join the club ahead of the 2026/27 season.
Araujo, who can also play as a striker, is regarded as an exciting attacking prospect and enjoyed an impressive campaign in Palace’s youth system last season, registering 12 goals and 11 assists.
The Brazilian-British youngster began his academy journey with Arsenal, spending four years there between Under-7 and Under-11 level before a spell with Stevenage at Under-12s.
He then joined Crystal Palace as an Under-13 and has spent the last four years developing in the Premier League club’s academy system.
Standing at 6ft 1in and comfortable with both feet, Araujo is expected to link up with Cardiff’s Under-18s squad next season as the Bluebirds continue a major push to strengthen their academy pipeline.
He is set to join fellow new arrival Cass Machin, the midfield talent Cardiff are also expected to sign from Manchester City.
Machin, another technically gifted young midfielder, has been with Manchester City since Under-9 level and is viewed as one of several ambitious academy additions being targeted by Cardiff this summer.
JOIN OUR CARDIFF CITY FACEBOOK PAGE! Latest news, analysis and much more
Dylan Lawlor reveals Cardiff City dream
Dylan Lawlor says he dreams of playing in the Premier League with Cardiff City after opening up on his breakthrough season and the academy pathway finally opening up for young Bluebirds.
The centre-back has emerged as one of the success stories of Cardiff’s youth system over the last year, taking advantage of the opportunities presented following the club’s relegation to League One and subsequent rebuild under Brian Barry-Murphy.
And the defender admits he now hopes he can continue climbing with his boyhood club in the Championship and beyond.
“Obviously I’ve got aspirations to play at the highest level,” Lawlor told Cardiff City TV.
“I’d love to do that with Cardiff. Fingers crossed. We’ll see what happens in the Championship.”
Lawlor also passionately defended Cardiff’s academy setup, insisting the work being done behind the scenes has not received enough recognition amid the turbulence surrounding the club over the last 18 months. Join the Cardiff City breaking news and top stories WhatsApp community.
“The academy is unbelievable,” he said. “It hasn’t been given enough credit with the club’s situation.
“Going down to League One has maybe made it easier to get players into the first team. There are so many good players in there who never really made it.
“But there is now opportunity and you’ve got to credit the manager, too.”
For years, one of the biggest criticisms levelled at Cardiff was the lack of a genuine pathway into the first team for academy players.
Lawlor admits that uncertainty was something he himself wrestled with while coming through the ranks.
“For me, coming through, there was always the question: ‘Is there a pathway?’ Because you never saw players coming through,” he explained.
But seeing the likes of Rubin Colwill, Joel Bagan and Isaak Davies establish themselves gave Lawlor belief that it was possible.
“Then when you saw Rubin, Joel and Isaak break through, there was that bit of hope and inspiration you could get there,” he added.
“I hope that gets passed down to the boys in the academy now and they can see there is a pathway to the first team.
“I loved it when Rubin, Isaak, Kingy (Eli King) broke through. It gave me that enjoyment as a fan and I hope I give that to the fans now.”
Wintle reacts to Ng contract news
Ryan Wintle has reacted to the news that close friend and team-mate Perry Ng has signed a new long-term contract with Cardiff City.
The Bluebirds confirmed on Monday that Ng had extended his stay in south Wales until 2028 in what is being viewed as a major boost ahead of the club’s return to the Championship.
And Wintle was among the first to publicly congratulate the defender, reposting Cardiff’s announcement on his Instagram story alongside the message: “Congrats Perry laaaa.”
The pair go way back, having both come at Crewe before later reuniting at Cardiff during lengthy spells in the Welsh capital.
Their friendship has been clear to see throughout their time at the club, with both players becoming key figures during difficult periods as well as Cardiff’s successful promotion-winning campaign this season.
Ng’s new deal comes at an interesting time for Wintle himself, however.
The midfielder is currently due to fall out of contract next month, alongside fellow promotion hero Joel Bagan, with uncertainty still surrounding both players’ futures.
Ng’s contract extension was viewed internally as hugely important business by Cardiff, particularly given interest from clubs in the top half of the Championship and concerns among supporters that the 29-year-old could move on this summer.
Since joining Cardiff in January 2021, Ng has made 233 appearances, scored 15 goals and won the club’s Player of the Season award twice.
The right-back enjoyed another outstanding campaign under Brian Barry-Murphy, reclaiming his starting place after competition from academy graduate Ronan Kpakio before starring in the second half of the season as Cardiff secured promotion back to the Championship.
Speaking after signing his extension, Ng said: “I’m delighted to have signed this new deal. I’ve loved my time at the Club so far.
“I’ve grown a lot in my five-and-a-half years in South Wales. I feel like I’ve made a home for myself here.”
While Ng’s future is now secure, attention may soon turn towards whether Cardiff can also tie down Wintle and Bagan as preparations continue for life back in the Championship. Sign up to our daily Cardiff City newsletter here.
Scanlon issues message to fans
Calum Scanlon has issued a heartfelt message to Cardiff City supporters following the end of his loan spell in south Wales.
The young left-back joined Cardiff on loan from Liverpool during the second half of the season but found opportunities limited due to the outstanding form of Joel Bagan, who established himself as arguably the best left-back in League One during the Bluebirds’ promotion-winning campaign.
Scanlon ultimately made eight appearances after arriving from Anfield and, although it was perhaps not the volume of minutes he would have hoped for, the 21-year-old did well when called upon.
The defender has now reflected positively on his time at Cardiff in an end-of-season social media message.
“A pleasure being part of such a good team,” he wrote.
“Thank you to all the staff, fans and players who helped me every day, and made me feel welcome from the start.
“Time to rest and keep pushing.”
Despite fierce competition for places, Scanlon remained a well-liked figure around the squad and benefited from being part of a successful dressing room under Brian Barry-Murphy.
Bagan’s form meant opportunities were difficult to come by, with the academy graduate producing arguably the best football of his Cardiff career and cementing himself as the club’s first-choice option on the left side of defence.
But Scanlon still managed to show flashes of his quality during his cameo appearances and gained valuable senior experience during Cardiff’s successful return to the Championship.
The Liverpool youngster is expected to head back to Merseyside this summer before a decision is made on the next stage of his development.
—
*Sign up to our daily Bluebirds newsletter here and our WhatsApp channel here. Cardiff City correspondent Glen Williams is also on social media. He can be found on his X account here, on Instagram, on TikTok and on Facebook.









You must be logged in to post a comment Login