A general view of a Private Property sign at Rockliffe Park, Middlesbrough’s Training Ground. Southampton have been expelled from the Championship play-offs after admitting to spying on opponents on three occasions this season, including play-off opponents Middlesbrough earlier this month. The club have also been docked four points for next season (PA)
Millions are set to benefit from the reforms set out by the DWP today
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has announced a set of new pension rules that could see millions of people save money on their retirement funds. Millions of local government workers will benefit from the reforms to the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) after new legislation was laid today, 21 May.
Advertisement
Regulations set to come into force next month will introduce new requirements for how pension funds are managed and invested for frontline council workers. These changes finalise the rules, so that pension funds can work together, invest more in local communities, and ensure people’s retirement savings are properly looked after, according to the DWP.
Click here to get the biggest stories straight to your inbox in our Daily Newsletter
The secondary legislation laid today, which will come into force on June 30, will ensure every pound saved delivers stronger returns while supporting investment in the economy.
Minister for Local Government and Homelessness, Alison McGovern said: “Those working on the front line in our local communities are unsung heroes, and they deserve a pension scheme that works as hard as they do.
Advertisement
“These reforms will do exactly that – providing better returns, putting money back into local communities, and driving economic growth that people can actually feel.”
Minister for Pensions, Torsten Bell, said: “The reforms are a major milestone that will release the untapped potential of the local government pension scheme, ensuring its £400 billion of assets are managed effectively on behalf of members and driving economic growth across the country.”
Since 2015, LGPS funds have made strong progress on pooling – where pension funds combine their assets to make larger, more effective investments, according to the Government. Already, 80% of assets are pooled, achieving £870 million in savings.
The new regulations build on this by making pooling a legal requirement for the first time, ensuring every fund meets the same high standards.
“I’m over the moon that the Education Authority has given the Weatherbies the opportunity for my books to reach all schools in Northern Ireland”
A Co Derry author is “over the moon” that her book series will be available in all primary schools across Northern Ireland.
Advertisement
Maghera-based author, Yvonne Fleming of the much-loved children’s series ‘The Weatherbies’ has achieved a major milestone after securing a four-year contract to be available through the Education Authority’s iProcurement system for primary schools.
The development means that all NI primary students can now directly access The Weatherbies educational resources as part of classroom learning, bringing the “engaging characters and curriculum-linked content to pupils on a wider scale than ever before”.
Speaking about the announcement, Yvonne said: “I’m over the moon that the Education Authority has given the Weatherbies the opportunity for my books to reach all schools in Northern Ireland.
“I’m very excited and looking forward to continuing the Weatherbies’ journey with the EA”
Advertisement
The Weatherbies focuses on themes of friendship, family and nature that, through thoughtful storytelling and positive messaging, support cognitive, social and emotional development for young readers and audiences.
The Weatherbies book series now comprises eight magical children’s picture books in English or Irish.
The inclusion within the Education Authority procurement framework marks a significant endorsement of the educational value of the series and streamlines access for schools seeking literacy and learning resources, with a core focus on climate awareness, while also supporting teachers with ready-made classroom materials and activities.
Advertisement
Over recent years, The Weatherbies has continued to expand its educational reach through partnerships with Eco-Schools NI, Twinkl NI, literacy initiatives and curriculum-based learning projects.
The series has also received support from a range of educational organisations and bodies for its creative approach to children’s learning.
The latest development further strengthens The Weatherbies’ growing presence within classrooms across Northern Ireland and highlights the increasing demand for engaging educational resources that combine storytelling with meaningful learning experiences.
Inos, a Greek restaurant in Piccadilly in York city centre which opened its doors for the first time last spring, has been commended in the May edition of the Michelin Guide.
In their listing, the Michelin inspectors dubbed the restaurant ‘a simple, cheerful place with an informal bistro vibe and friendly service’ and said that the cooking offers great value for money.
RECOMMENDED READING:
They praised the cooking as ‘well-executed versions of classic dishes’ – highlighting the pita, dips, ‘keftedakia’ meatballs, moussaka, and ‘Portakalopia’ – Cretan cake with orange syrup, alongside authentic wines and spirits.
Advertisement
In a post on Instagram, Inos said that they were ‘very happy’ to share their selection, adding: “Achieving this recognition in our first year of operation makes us incredibly proud. A huge thank you to the whole INOS team for everyone’s hard work, passion, and dedication.
“We are also grateful to every customer who supported us, recommended us, and celebrated with us. We can’t wait to welcome you again.”
Speaking to The Press at the time of opening last year, director Martin Tsatsas – who is part of the Hull-based SASA Group – said that he had hoped to expand on the success of SASA Greek street food stand at Spark in York’s city centre.
Some of the tasty food at INOS (Image: Pic supplied)
He said: “INOS is not replacing SASA, it’s expanding on the story, offering a different experience altogether.”
Advertisement
“At Inos, we’re focusing on simple, ingredient-led Greek dishes, that are deeply rooted in tradition, prepared with care and minimal intervention.
“While SASA is all about bold, accessible street food, INOS will showcase the quieter elegance of Greek cuisine. It will be honest and genuine because you can’t cheat Greek food! It relies on simplicity, so every ingredient shines.
“What sets us apart is our focus on simplicity and authenticity. We let the ingredients speak, and we cook the way it’s done in Greece. We aim to create a harmonious experience that activates all the senses.
Fresh Greek Salad (Image: Pic supplied)
“Through food, drink, atmosphere, and warm, attentive service, we want to offer something more than a meal, we want to offer true Greek hospitality in its most genuine form. Inos will feel like stepping into a quiet island taverna—natural, warm, and unpretentious.”
Advertisement
He added that the group wanted to ‘express our heartfelt gratitude to York, to Spark York, and to all our loyal customers for helping make this next chapter possible’.
Also new to the guide is The General Tarleton at Ferrensby, near Knaresborough – a gastropub owned by Tommy Banks, which also opened last year.
An Arizona gym owner with a taste for exotic supercars posed as a high-flying arms dealer holding juicy foreign military contracts, allegedly fleecing investors who loaned him more than $10 million to manufacture a proprietary weapons system that never actually existed.
Instead, Brandon Aaron Kreutz, who placed fifth or better in a half-dozen McLaren Trophy America Pro-Am championship events last year, as well as a first-place finish in the Papaya Cup, spent the money on a race car, membership in a racing club, a million-dollar home, luxury travel, an extensive gun collection and “dozens” of luxury vehicles, according to an FBI affidavit unsealed Tuesday.
The affidavit, which is attached to a criminal complaint filed in Tucson federal court and reviewed by The Independent, says Kreutz, 40, also “concealed some of the victims’ funds in health-and-wellness business ventures and bank accounts owned by close associates,” resulting in dual wire fraud and money laundering charges.
Kreutz was arrested Wednesday and released the next day on a personal recognizance bond. He was called out several years ago by a veteran’s group for purportedly impersonating a Navy SEAL, and went by at least two aliases, including Brandon Aaron Moushey and Brandon Moushey-Kreutz.
Advertisement
Calls on Thursday to Kreutz’s cell phone went straight to voicemail.
Attorney Ryan Moore, a public defender assigned to represent Kreutz at his initial court appearance on Wednesday, did not respond to a request for comment.
Purported fraudster Brandon Aaron Kreutz used the money he allegedly took in from victims to fund a pricey lifestyle, including a McLaren supercar, like the one seen here, he used in self-funded racing competitions (Creative Commons)
In 2025, Kreutz – who maintains a relatively thin online presence – was featured on the Instagram page of a McLaren dealership in Scottsdale, introducing him as one of two drivers competing on behalf of the supercar manufacturer.
“With a background deeply rooted in motorsports and a relentless drive for improvement, Brandon brings skill, dedication, and a passion for competition to the team,” the post read. “… For Brandon, McLaren represents the ultimate driver’s car – raw, violent, and built for pure performance. That visceral connection to the machine fuels his excitement for competing in the McLaren Trophy Series and pushing the limits of both car and driver.”
Kreutz competed as a so-called “privateer,” meaning he self-financed his track outings, rather than being officially sponsored. He was additionally affiliated with Flying Lizard Motorsports, a California-based team that offers a “customer racing program” for deep-pocketed enthusiasts. A McLaren 620R, a “street-legal track car” which Kreutz used to compete, can cost upward of $300,000.
Advertisement
Neither organization is accused of any wrongdoing, and neither responded to requests for comment on Kreutz’s arrest.
Beginning in 2023, Kreutz, who held himself out as the owner of various companies in the firearms and fitness industries, embarked on a “scheme to obtain loans from Victims J, C.G., and P through the presentation of fraudulent pretenses and statements,” according to the FBI affidavit in his case.
“Kreutz falsely presented himself as a former subcontractor of the United States Government, the holder of a patent-pending firearms device… with contracts to produce the device, and a party to lucrative multi-million-dollar contracts with foreign governments for the purchase of the device.”
The loans would be used to fund the production and sales of the supposed product, with the investors receiving high returns in addition to repayment of their principal, Kreutz claimed, the affidavit continues.
Advertisement
“In reality, Kreutz did not apply for or obtain a patent on the device, controls no equipment capable of manufacturing the device, is not a party to any manufacturing contracts for the device, or a party to any international firearms contracts, and does not conduct any of the business activities he represented to the victims,” the affidavit states.
Brandon Aaron Kreutz served in the U.S. Navy, but was never a SEAL, according to his service record. He is now facing federal fraud charges after allegedly duping investors out of $10 million to fund foreign military sales that never existed, the feds say (Getty Images)
Kreutz took in $10,917,822.13 from at least three victims, and spent the money on himself, the affidavit goes on. It cites one example, in which “Victim P,” a Virginia resident, sent Kreutz $2.5 million to help fulfill the alleged military contracts he claimed to have.
On July 15, 2024, about one month after Kreutz received the money from Victim P, he wired $1,150,517.96 to an Arizona title company for the purchase of a home in Oro Valley, a Tucson suburb, according to the affidavit.
Kreutz has faced previous accusations of fraud, but none that resulted in criminal charges until now. In 2018, he was the subject of a video exposé by Don Shipley, a former Navy SEAL who now spends his retirement years tracking down instances of stolen valor.
According to Kreutz’s official service record, which The Independent reviewed, he did serve five years as an E-3 in the U.S. Navy, from September 2004 to September 2009. However, Kreutz, who claimed to be part of the non-existent “SEAL Team 9,” never was a SEAL, his separation papers show.
Advertisement
“I’m still getting s**t on him,” Shipley told The Independent. “When you’re telling someone you’re a SEAL and you weren’t, it’s fraud. You’re defrauding people.”
Under the terms of Kreutz’s pre-trial release, he is forbidden from owning any firearms, must participate in mental health counseling and cannot travel out of state without permission.
If convicted of wire fraud Kreutz faces up to 20 years in prison; the money laundering count carries a maximum sentence of 10 years.
All that remains now in Albert Park, Middlesbrough, are the original plinth and the boots of the former Boro goalscoring hero.
Work to remove the statue began on Tuesday, May 19, just weeks after Sir Geoffrey Boycott, a close friend of Clough, publicly criticised the condition of the structure during a visit to Middlesbrough.
Sir Geoffrey Boycott at the scene in Albert Park to witness the most recent condition of the statue (Image: Goffy Media)
Sir Geoffrey said: “Cloughie deserves better than this. Brian Clough’s legacy is way better than that.”
The comments reignited public debate across Teesside and further afield, with figures such as Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen and former Middlesbrough mayor Andy Preston voicing their support.
Brian Clough’s statue seen being dismantled in Albert Park on Tuesday (May 19th 2026) (Image: Goffy Media)
The outcry also reached Nottingham, where Clough is immortalised by a statue near Old Market Square—unveiled in 2008 by his widow Barbara.
On Tuesday, council contractors arrived to carry out the removal in what marks the first major physical step in resolving the controversy.
Sir Geoffrey said: “I hope to see a clear timeline to get my old friend looking his finest.
Advertisement
The statue in Albert Park, Middlesbrough during the early days just after being unveiled in 2017 (Image: Goffy Media)
“The public reaction tells you just how much Brian Clough still means to people in Middlesbrough and far beyond.”
Attention will now turn to what happens next and whether plans will be announced regarding the statue’s restoration and future location.
With only the plinth and Clough’s boots remaining in Albert Park, communities in Middlesbrough and beyond await updates on how the tribute will be reinstated.
Meanwhile, Sir Geoffrey is set to return to Teesside for his ‘An Evening With Sir Geoffrey Boycott’ event at The Hub at Teesside University on June 19.
Advertisement
The show will feature stories from his cricket career and reflections on sporting legends, including Clough.
Sir Geoffrey said: “It will be interesting to see the progress of Cloughie’s Middlesbrough statue when I revisit the town for my show in June.”
Diana Henry is the Telegraph’s much-loved cookery writer. She shares recipes each week, for everything from speedy family dinners to special menus that friends will remember for months. She is also a regular broadcaster on BBC Radio 4, and her journalism and recipe books, including Simple and How to Eat a Peach, are multi-award-winning. A mother of two sons, Diana can satisfy even the fussiest of eaters.
North Yorkshire Police have issued several CCTV images of a man their officers would like to speak to after a woman was sexually assaulted in Selby.
RECOMMENDED READING:
It happened in March after the victim was given a lift in a vehicle – before being sexually assaulted over her clothing.
Police believe this man can help with their investigation (Image: North Yorkshire Police)
“Please contact us if you recognise the man pictured in the images as we believe that he may have information that will assist our investigation,” said a spokesperson for the force.
Advertisement
Anyone with information is asked to call 101 and pass information to the Force Control Room or you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or submit an online report via their website.
Another picture of the man (Image: North Yorkshire Police)
Please quote reference 12260040588 when providing information.
Donald Trump says that negotiations with Iran were “in the final stages”, while warning of further attacks unless Tehran agrees to a peace deal.
Six weeks since Trump paused Operation Epic Fury for a ceasefire, talks to end the war have shown little progress. Trump said this week he came close to ordering more attacks, but held off to allow time for negotiations.
“We’re in the final stages of Iran. We’ll see what happens. Either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty, but hopefully that won’t happen,” he told reporters. “Ideally I’d like to see few people killed, as opposed to a lot. We can do it either way.”
Advertisement
Speaking later at the US Coast Guard Academy, Trump continued: “We may have to hit them very hard… but maybe not” – and reiterated his determination not to allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon.
Tehran, for its part, accused Trump of plotting to restart the war, and threatened to retaliate for any strikes with attacks beyond the Middle East. “If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time,” the Revolutionary Guards said in a statement.
They have been charged with offences including murder, possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence and threats to kill
19:10, 21 May 2026Updated 19:17, 21 May 2026
Two men have been charged to court as part of the murder investigation of Nicholas (Nicky) Gordon.
The men, aged 25 and 31, were arrested in Scotland on Monday, May 18, on suspicion of the murder of the East Belfast man who died in hospital of injuries he sustained during an assault in his home in the Holywood Road area on Tuesday, May 12.
They have now been charged with offences including murder, possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence and threats to kill.
A PSNI spokesperson said: “Detectives from the Police Service of Northern Ireland’s Major Investigation Team, investigating the murder of Nicholas (Nicky) Gordon, who died in hospital on Saturday 16th May, four days after a serious assault in east Belfast, have charged two men to appear at court.
“The men aged 25 and 31 have been charged with a number of offences including murder, possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence and threats to kill and both are due to appear at Belfast Magistrates’ Court on Friday 22 nd May.
“As is normal procedure all charges are reviewed by the PPS.”
Advertisement
A 24-year-old man and a 49-year-old woman, who were arrested on suspicion of aggravated burglary with intent to commit grievous bodily harm during the investigation were released unconditionally.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login