Connect with us

Sports

Giants-Dolphins fight: Teams brawl during joint practice

Published

on

Skirmishes are to be expected when NFL teams hold joint practices, but every now and then, they go a step too far. That was the case in Thursday’s training camp session with the New York Giants and Miami Dolphins. Multiple altercations built up to an all-out brawl between the two teams that led to multiple players’ removal from live drills.

Giants quarterback Jameis Winston, offensive lineman Jermaine Eluemunor and Dolphins offensive lineman Austin Jackson missed parts of practice for disciplinary reasons. Giants coach John Harbaugh said Eluemunor threw a punch to an opponent’s face, which triggered his automatic removal, per the teams’ agreed-upon rules.

While Harbaugh had to pull a couple of his players out of action, he downplayed the extent of the fights, which are commonplace in the NFL at this stage of camp.

“It’s just football,” Harbaugh said after practice. “It’s not a game, so you don’t have quite the same guardrails on it. It’s a violent game. In this sort of an environment, you have these rules of engagement that aren’t really rules of the game. And then somebody perceives somebody else goes over the line — or they do go over the line — and then somebody needs to protect somebody, and that’s where it goes. As long as it doesn’t get out of control where you get a violent type of situation, it’s fine.”

Advertisement

Joint practices are some of the first opportunities each season players have to make contact with someone wearing a different team’s jersey. Pent-up aggression often boils over in these settings, and small incidents can snowball into larger fights. That’s what occurred at the Dolphins’ complex.

Earlier in practice, second-year Giants edge rusher Abdul Carter took a swing at Dolphins offensive lineman Patrick Paul.

Another dust-up involved a couple of other big-name Giants defenders. After Jackson threw a punch at New York rookie Arvell Reese, edge rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux threw the Miami lineman to the ground in retaliation.

Giants, Dolphins could face league discipline for fights

The NFL made it clear to teams prior to training camp that violence will not be tolerated at joint practices. In a memo sent to all 32 franchises, the league emphasized “not promoting an atmosphere for fighting or escalation of incidents; instances of player fighting will result in individual fines, club fines, and/or loss of practice.”

Advertisement

The Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints felt the league’s wrath Tuesday when multiple fights broke out at their joint practice. Two days later, the NFL fined the teams $500,000 apiece.

At first glance, the fights between the Cowboys and Saints rose to a level perhaps more violent than the ones in the Giants-Dolphins practice. The NFL will undoubtedly review the footage from Miami, however, and determine whether things got out of hand enough to justify penalties.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Pegula survives Anisimova to reach Cincinnati Open semifinal

Published

on

Jessica Pegula of the United States hugs Amanda Anisimova of the United States after a match on day ten of the Cincinnati OpenJessica Pegula of the United States hugs Amanda Anisimova of the United States after a match on day ten of the Cincinnati Open

Jessica Pegula of the United States hugs Amanda Anisimova of the United States after a match on day ten of the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 20, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. Emilee Chinn/Getty Images/AFP 

CINCINNATI–Jessica Pegula defeated Amanda Anisimova 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (7/4) in the Cincinnati Open on Friday and will face Poland’s Iga Swiatek in the semifinals.

Sixth-seeded Anisimova converted all five of her break points against Pegula, breaking her three times in the second set, before the world number three rebounded to win.

Article continues after this advertisement

Pegula is setting WTA records at age 32. She is the fourth player since 2009 to reach five or more Masters 1000 quarter-finals after turning 30, along with Li Na, Serena Williams and Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Advertisement

Pegula needed just 34 minutes to pocket the opening set.

But Anisimova struck back in the second, earning a double break for 4-0.

After Anisimova squared the match at one-set each, Pegula regrouped with an opening break in the deciding set.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

They would each be broken twice as they went to the tiebreaker, where Pegula sealed the win on her first match point.

Pegula’s win was her sixth without a loss to Anisimova.

“I know I have a good record against her, but literally every single match is like it was today,” she said.



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Advertisement


Your subscription has been successful.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

2 Reasons Tony Khan should sign Ilja Dragunov to AEW and 2 reasons he should avoid doing so

Published

on

Tony Khan is known for signing top talent to AEW, and recent ex-WWE star Ilja Dragunov could be a prospect. Earlier today, PWInsider reported that The Mad Dragon’s WWE contract was already up and he had departed the company.

The Mad Dragon rose to prominence as one of the hard-hitting wrestlers of this generation. He signed with WWE in 2019 and had a remarkable run in NXT UK and then in NXT, which led to his call-up to the main roster in 2024. After a good start on RAW, Dragunov was sidelined with a torn ACL injury for a year. He returned to WWE on the October 17, 2025 episode of SmackDown, and won the United States title from Sami Zayn in his first match back in the Stamford-based promotion.

Advertisement

He had begun his resurgence; however, Dragunov was not seen on WWE television after April 2026. Due to his contract expiring, Dragunov is a free agent and could head to rival company AEW. At the same time, Tony Khan signing Dragunov might not be such a great idea.

So, here are two reasons Khan should sign him and two reasons he should not make this move:

#1. Should Sign – Potential for multiple exciting matches

There is no denying the exceptional in-ring acumen of Ilja Dragunov, which he proved time and time again during his run in WWE. The former WWE United States Champion produced stellar in-ring showdowns against top names like Gunther, Sami Zayn, Carmelo Hayes and more. He could bring his hard-hitting style to All Elite Wrestling if they sign him and deliver amazing matches against the talents there.

One of them could be the rising star, Kyle Fletcher. The Protostar and The Mad Dragon had squared off in their sole singles match at PROGRESS Chapter 100 in 2019, and Fletcher hinted at one more dance and Dragunov’s arrival to AEW right after the news of his WWE departure broke. Another top showdown could be against AEW top star MJF, who recently fired shots at him on social media.

Advertisement

Apart from them, Ilja Dragunov could test his mettle against legendary superstars currently signed to Tony Khan’s company. These could be names like Adam Copeland and Chris Jericho, who are still at the top of their game and could deliver highly exhilarating matches against the recently departed WWE star.

#2. Should not sign – Ilja Dragunov has not proven to be good at cutting promos

Ilja Dragunov has proven his worth as an in-ring competitor in WWE. However, the same could not be said when it comes to an important aspect that makes a wrestler a top attraction in the Sports Entertainment business: promo delivery. As seen during the majority of The Mad Dragon’s run, he was hardly given time on the microphone, and whenever he did get it, Dragunov’s promo skills failed to reach the same level as his in-ring talent. This led to his failure to become a major name, and the same could happen if he signs with AEW, which is a big reason Tony Khan should not bring him on board.

#3. Should sign – Capitalize on potential wasted by WWE

Ilja Dragunov has been credited by many as a ‘star in the making’ during his run in WWE after impressive stints in NXT UK, NXT, and SmackDown. However, WWE failed to capitalize on his immense potential because of lackluster booking and months off television. Tony Khan could succeed where his competitor failed and bring Dragunov to his roster to build him up as a top star, much like ex-WWE stars such as Swerve Strickland and Toni Storm, both of whom had less-than-impressive WWE runs and later became marquee names for the Jacksonville-based company.

#4. Should not sign – Stacked roster

While Ilja Dragunov is a top prospect for Tony Khan to sign to All Elite Wrestling, a major roadblock could be their current stacked roster. The AEW head honcho has signed a lot of talent over the years, and many of them have been lost in the shuffle. In fact, multiple wrestlers are still signed with the promotion, not being featured on television and still being paid by Khan. According to a recent report by Wrestling Observer’s Bryan Alvarez, Khan does not cut talent from his roster, like WWE does every year. Alvarez also added that he was given the impression that several AEW wrestlers would not be released, but the promotion would just let their contracts expire.

Advertisement

“I’ve been given the impression that there are a lot of AEW contracts he’s not gonna cut, but they are just going to quietly expire, probably like a lot of people.” – H/T Ringside News

The same could happen with a talent like Ilja Dragunov. If he signs with AEW, he could be used well for a while, but then be sidelined on the bench due to limited TV spots or poor creative booking and eventually released from the company.