Connect with us

Sports

NFL news: Ty Simpson shines for the Rams with 2 TDs in preseason debut

Published

on

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Before rookie Ty Simpson’s NFL debut for the Los Angeles Rams on Saturday, his father texted him some sage advice.

“My dad just talked to me like I was four years old again,” Simpson said of the message from his father Jason “He told me to catch every snap, make the easy ones easy, go do what you love, and I love you.”

Simpson is a good son because he did exactly as instructed. He made his first pro game, against the Kansas City Chiefs no less, seem easy.

Advertisement

RAIDERS ROOKIE FERNANDO MENDOZA THANKS GOD FOR AN NFL DEBUT THAT COMPARES FAVORABLY TO ‘MR BRADY’

Ty Simpson signals at the line during a preseason game at Arrowhead Stadium.

Los Angeles Rams quarterback Ty Simpson signals at the line against the Kansas City Chiefs during the first half of a preseason game at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo., on Aug. 15, 2026. (IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters Connect)

Simpson completed 21-of-25 passes for 190 yards in three quarters of work after Stetson Bennett started and played the first quarter.

Simpson threw 2 touchdown passes without an interception and that kind of efficiency earned him a whopping 125.0 passer rating.

“It was a really good day for him,” Coach Sean McVay crowed. “I just felt like he was in good command and it was cool to see a good smile on his face.”

Advertisement

Those facts and reaction beg context. So, let’s examine …

Sean McVay walking on field at Lumen Field after NFC Championship Game

Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay walks on the field at Lumen Field after the 2026 NFC Championship Game against the Seattle Seahawks in Seattle, Washington, on Jan. 25, 2026. (Kevin Ng/Imagn Images)

The old adage among NFL scouts, coaches and smart scribes is that the preseason does not present the truth. It lies. The NFL’s August stars could be waiting tables in October.

And while that won’t fully apply to Simpson because he will be on the Rams‘ roster for a long time, it suggests a certain amount of temperance here is wise. So, here’s that necessary temperance:

Holy moly, Simpson looked like a stud!

Advertisement

Here’s some more temperance: The draft critics were wrong.

You remember those draft critics, right? Bucky Brooks at the NFL Network, the draft scouts at ESPN, practically everybody except Dan Orlovsky.

Dan Orlovsky with microphone

ESPN Broadcaster Dan Orlovsky speaks before the game between the Baltimore Ravens and the Detroit Lions at M&T Bank Stadium on Sept. 22, 2025 in Baltimore, Maryland. (G Fiume/Getty Images)

They said Simpson’s arm is not special. They said his deep ball accuracy is poor. They said he didn’t handle pressure very well, particularly during a late season regression at the University of Alabama.

All of that from the draft gurus made Simpson a polarizing figure on draft day.

Advertisement

And the Rams, taking all that into consideration, ignored it. They drafted Simpson in the first round with the expectation that some day when 38-year-old Matthew Stafford retires, Simpson could be the guy to take over.

REIGNING MVP MATTHEW STAFFORD LOCKS IN EXTENSION WITH RAMS WORTH UP TO $60M WITH INCENTIVES

So far, the Rams look much smarter than the TV draft scouts and pundits not named Orlovsky.

That does not, of course, mean Simpson has arrived. It doesn’t mean he’s already pushing the defending NFL MVP Stafford out the door.

Advertisement

The kid has work to do.

“There was one situation that will be a great learning opportunity on third down where they played a man coverage and [Simpson] threw it to the flat [instead of downfield],” McVay said. “I have to see it, but I think the pocket might have allowed him to progress.”

SIGN UP TO GET THE LATEST SPORTS NEWS

That’s important. But it is also important when the head coach goes into the locker room, gives his team his postgame thoughts, and then turns it over to a top player to break the team down.

Advertisement

McVay gave that honor to Simpson in the rookie’s first game.

That and this performance is going to put a spotlight on Simpson as he competes with Bennett for the backup job.

But no worries, the kid’s got those constant text messages from his father.

“He sends me a Bible verse every time, just a quote, to give the glory back to Him,” Simpson said. “And it was just really cool, you know? When I have family members texting me, it’s a comforting feeling.”

Advertisement

FOLLOW ARMANDO SALGUERO ON X: @ARMANDOSALGUERO

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Ric Flair reacts to claims of him getting married again and starting a new family at the age of 77

Published

on

Ric Flair has once again become the talk of the town in the world of professional wrestling. For the past few days, a rumor surrounding The Nature Boy has been making the rounds, claiming that he is planning to marry someone and start a new family. Well, the legend himself stepped up online to clear the air about all such fake news around him.

The former WWE star has been linked with several women throughout his life. His most recent marriage was to Wendy Barlow, whom he wed in a closed ceremony in 2018. However, they chose to part ways in 2024, and Ric Flair has been single since then. But over the years, the internet has witnessed rumors of The Nature Boy trying to get married for the sixth time.

Taking to Instagram, Ric Flair called out an online wrestling news page by sharing a screenshot of their news about him. Sarcastically, he asked to meet the new Mrs. Flair if the page is sharing the news with such confidence. Besides, the 77-year-old clearly denied any such rumors, saying he is not marrying anybody at this age.

“Good To Know I’m Still The Breaking News Headline At 77 Years Old! Can Someone Please Introduce Me To The Next Mrs. Flair Because, To My Knowledge, We Haven’t Met Yet! Obviously, I’m Not Starting A New Family. To Be Such A Legend…WTF!” Flair wrote.


Ric Flair shared a heartwarming post with his fans

Ric Flair is a legend of professional wrestling. He has been a 16-time World Champion in WWE in his career. Many consider him to be a trailblazer in making it to the mainstream media from the wrestling industry. Recently, Flair shared a heartwarming message with his fans that expressed his love for wrestling even after all these years.

Taking to X, Ric Flair shared a picture of himself in the ring. It looked like it was a photo taken after a training drill. He called the squared circle his “forever home,” expressing a sense of gratitude for the ring.

“My Forever Home! The Years May Have Passed, But The Ring Still Feels Like Home. A Nostalgic Feeling Like No Other! WOOOOO!” Posted Flair.

Check out the X post HERE.

Advertisement

Flair’s last match in professional wrestling was on 31st July 2022. He teamed up with Andrade to take on Jay Lethal & Jeff Jarrett. Besides, his last WWE match was against Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 24, where he lost his career.