Connect with us

Sports

Pakistan suffer major blow as captain Babar Azam ruled out of first Test against England

Published

on

Pakistan suffer a major setback ahead of the first Test against England as newly reappointed captain Babar Azam is ruled out with a finger injury. Babar injures the middle finger of his right hand while batting against the West Indies and aggravates it during a warm-up game in Beckenham.

“Pakistan captain Babar Azam is unavailable for the first test match,” Pakistan coach Sarfaraz Ahmed said. “Salman Agha will be the captain for the first test.”

Babar ruled out, Agha takes charge

Ahmed confirms that Babar’s finger is not broken but says the team hopes the pain settles in time for the second Test at Lord’s, starting August 27. Babar’s absence is a significant blow after he recently returned as captain and was Pakistan’s leading run-scorer against the West Indies.

Agha is set to captain Pakistan in a Test for the first time, having already led the team in T20 cricket. Shan Masood, who was replaced by Babar as captain, also returns after recovering from a broken finger.

Advertisement

“Our practice match gave us a lot of confidence,” Ahmed said. “Whatever bases we needed to cover with bat and ball, we did. We believe we’ll do very well here.”

Advertisement

England also enter new era

England, meanwhile, begin the series under a changed leadership setup. Joe Root returns as captain following Ben Stokes’ retirement, while Brendon McCullum has also left the coaching role. Marcus Trescothick takes interim charge as new coach Stephen Fleming misses the series.

Root, who previously led England from 2017 to 2022, says his experience has prepared him for another stint as captain.

Advertisement

“I feel as ready as any other England captain that’s ever been before,” Root said. “To have that amount of experience is invaluable.”

Harry Brook remains vice-captain, with Root confident of his support.

“I fully feel he’s got my back like the rest of the guys do,” Root said.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Edwin Díaz injury: Dodgers placing struggling closer on IL as bullpen woes continue

Published

on

The Dodgers are placing All-Star closer Edwin Diaz on the injured list, according to The Athletic. Early word is that it’s some sort of “upper body” injury that’s sending Díaz back to the IL, not his surgically-repaired elbow, via The Athletic. Díaz was on the injured list earlier this season after having surgery to remove loose bodies from his pitching elbow. He was placed on the IL on April 20 and came off on July 29. 

The big story here is how Díaz has pitched when not on the IL. After signing a three-year, $69 million deal with the Dodgers this past offseason, the first year of the contract has been a disaster. In all, he’s posted an 11.85 ERA, 2.56 WHIP and -1.4 WAR in 16 outings. He has seven saves but four blown saves. He’s had seven outings with zero runs allowed and five where he’s allowed multiple runs. 

If the loose bodies in his elbow could explain the early-season failures, all of that should have been cleared up once he returned from the injured list. Instead, he posted a 12.91 ERA with three saves in six chances in his nine appearances after his return. He’s been worse and that’s starting from a very low bar.

He worked in relief Tuesday night in Colorado and gave up three runs on four hits in his inning. He didn’t strike anyone out and hit a batter. The Dodgers and Díaz must’ve gotten together and decided enough was enough after that one. 

Advertisement

In a corresponding move, Emmet Sheehan is expected to be recalled from Triple-A to provide some help for the Dodgers’ shaky bullpen. 

What’s next for Dodgers’ struggling bullpen?

This wasn’t supposed to be how the season worked out, as the Dodgers looked to shore up one of their few weaknesses after two consecutive World Series championships. Díaz was one of the best closers in baseball in 2025, just as he was in 2022, 2020 and 2018. 

Advertisement

Tanner Scott (2.20 ERA, 0.92 WHIP) and Alex Vesia (2.91 ERA, 1.22 WHIP) could serve as the Dodgers’ main two late-inning guys, but Evan Phillips — who has previously closing experience with the Dodgers — and Jack Dreyer are also options. 

The bullpen isn’t very deep or good right now. A few days ago, Dodgers manager Dave Roberts, when asked about Díaz pitching in a key situation, admitted he had few other options. 

“Give me another option. I can’t just say, ‘Change (Díaz) to low leverage.’ I have to have other options, and to be quite honest, none of those guys really have thrown the baseball great. That’s just kind of the way it is,” Roberts said. 

One might recall that the bullpen was a major concern down the stretch for the Dodgers late last season, but the move of Roki Sasaki to the bullpen for the playoffs, in addition to the four ace-like starting pitchers working so deep into games, helped push the Dodgers across the finish line for another title. 

Advertisement

It seems they’ll need to find a fix again this time around.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

“Will land straight away” – Darren Bent makes bold Liverpool prediction as he names his PL top 5

Published

on

Former Ipswich Town striker Darren Bent has predicted Liverpool to finish in the top five in the upcoming 2026-27 Premier League season, which kicks off on Friday (August 21) with holders Arsenal taking on Coventry City.

The Gunners won their first top-flight title in 22 years last season, winning five straight games to finish seven points clear of Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City. It marked their first success in the league since their ‘Invincibles’ triumph under Arsene Wenger all the way back in 2004.

Mikel Arteta’s side have made reinforcements during the summer, as have their primary challengers. However, Bent reckons the Gunners could go back-to-back in the English top flight for the first time, saying on talkSPORT:

Advertisement

“Arsenal 1, Liverpool 2. “I think Andoni [Iraola] will land straight away. Chelsea 3rd, City 4th, Man United 5th.”

Among the top five Bent mentioned, three clubs have brought in new managers: The Reds have appointed Andoni Iraola; Manchester City have given their reins to former Chelsea boss Enzo Maresca, while Chelsea will be managed by former Reds midfielder and Real Madrid head coach Xabi Alonso.

Manchester United, who appointed Michael Carrick permanently in the summer after impressing in an interim capacity since joining in January, have been tipped to finish in the UEFA Champions League places but might not contend for the title.


What’s next for Liverpool?

Liverpool FC vs AS Monaco - Pre-Season Friendly - Source: GettyLiverpool FC vs AS Monaco - Pre-Season Friendly - Source: Getty
Liverpool FC vs AS Monaco – Pre-Season Friendly – Source: Getty

Liverpool have had a mixed pre-season as they started life under new boss Andoni Iraola, who has arrived from AFC Bournemouth to replace Arne Slot, who left at the end of the 2025-26 campaign.

The Reds commenced their preparations with a 4-2 victory over Sunderland in Nashville last month before beating Wrexham 1-0 at New York City. However, their US tour ended with a 4-2 defeat to Leeds United in Chicago, squandering a two-goal lead by shipping in four goals in the final 30 minutes.

Back home, they failed to return to winning ways, losing 3-2 to AS Monaco before going into the new season with a win, beating Cesc Fabregas’ Como 2-0 in their final friendly before their Premier League campaign opener against at Newcastle United on Saturday (August 23).

Advertisement