Connect with us

Sports

Real Madrid Returns To Benfica For Champions League Revenge Mission

Published

on




With Kylian Mbappe back in the squad, Real Madrid returns to Portugal looking for some payback against Jose Mourinho’s Benfica in the Champions League. Three weeks after Mourinho’s team stunned his former club in a 4-2 win that allowed Benfica to qualify and kept the Spanish giant from automatically reaching the round of 16, the two teams will meet again at the Stadium of Light in the first round of the knockout stage. “I hope history does not repeat itself,” Madrid coach Alvaro Arbeloa said. “We are prepared for the difficulty of the match, the opponent, the atmosphere and what awaits us on Tuesday. It’s 180 minutes and we have to play a great game there. We have it very fresh in our minds, so we know how complicated it will be.”

Benfica got the goal it needed to qualify thanks to a last-minute header by goalkeeper Anatoliy Trubin against Madrid, allowing it to grab the 24th — and final — spot for the knockout stage on goal difference.

The rematch highlights a knockout round that will also include defending champion Paris Saint-Germain against Monaco and Inter Milan, last year’s runner-up, facing Norwegian outsider Bodø/Glimt.

Advertisement

Mbappé, who already has 38 goals for Madrid this season, will be available again after he missed the Spanish league match against Real Sociedad at the weekend because of discomfort on his knee.

He has scored nine goals in his last six matches with Madrid, including both goals in the loss to Benfica.

“He is doing very well,” Arbeloa said. “Obviously, he has been dealing with these minor knee issues for quite some time this season. He is making a great effort every time he steps onto the field, and we have decided not to take risks so that he will be ready to start the match on Tuesday.”

PSG dropped out of the top eight that automatically qualified for the last-16 after a 1-1 home draw against Newcastle in the last round of the league phase, dropping it to 11th place.

Advertisement

On Friday, it lost 3-1 at Rennes in the French league for its third defeat of the year — and sixth this season.

Monaco, which finished 21st in the league phase, beat Nantes 3-1 on Friday, but before that it had won only once in its last seven matches across all tournaments.

Inter heads to its match at Bodø/Glimt on Wednesday after six straight victories, including Saturday’s last-minute 3-2 triumph over Juventus, a result that increased its Serie A lead.

Inter won its first four games in the league phase this season, but then lost three in a row before finishing off with an away victory at Borussia Dortmund that secured it 10th place.

Advertisement

Bodø/Glimt, in its first Champions League campaign, needed back-to-back upset wins against Manchester City and Atletico Madrid to make it to the knockout round in 23rd place.

The other first legs on Tuesday include Juventus visiting Galatasaray and Dortmund hosting Atalanta.

On Wednesday, Newcastle is at Qarabag, Olympiakos hosts Bayer Leverkusen and Atletico visits Club Brugge.

Advertisement

Topics mentioned in this article

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Carl Froch forced to leave Tyson Fury interview following John Fury encounter

Published

on

Though Tyson Fury’s press conference with Arslanbek Makhmudov was cordial, there was unnecessary drama beforehand courtesy of his father, John.

Fury will return to the ring on April 11 to face Russia’s Makhmudov, the main event topping a bill at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and streamed live on Netflix. The pair came face to face in London today to speak to the media.

On the Netflix broadcast of the presser was Froch, who has built a brand of no holds barred commentary following his retirement from professional fighting. On his YouTube channel, Froch on Fighting, he has criticised John Fury, though often in jest.

Advertisement

John Fury, who may be a strong voice in Tyson’s camp during this comeback run, clearly held a grudge, and demanded to see and fight Froch on arrival, as captured by Netflix as well as various media outlets.

Though Froch remained in broadcasting position during the tirade, he was then absent following the press conference for the interview with Tyson, which was conducted by Anna Woolhouse and Lennox Lewis. Froch, a Hall of Fame inductee, then returned when ‘The Gypsy King’ left the stage and took part in the interview with Makhmudov, suggesting that Fury’s team may have insisted he leave for that segment or indeed that the production team felt tensions could rise once more.

Woolhouse said:

Advertisement

“We’ve allowed Carl back in the building, because Carl, you weren’t really allowed to be here when Tyson was here. You’ve upset John, I believe.”

Froch then added:

“It was a long time ago, but he’s all mouth and no action.”

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

How can Australia qualify after their 8-wicket loss against Sri Lanka?

Published

on

Sri Lanka beat Australia by eight wickets at the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium on Monday, February 16 in a Group B match of T20 World Cup 2026. With their third consecutive win, Sri Lanka also confirmed their place in the Super 8 round of the ICC event. They have six points and a run rate of +2.462.

Bowling first after winning the toss, Sri Lanka conceded 181 runs in 20 overs. Mitchell Marsh (54 off 27) and Travis Head (56 off 29) hit half-centuries for Australia. For Sri Lanka, Dushan Hemantha claimed 3-37. The Lankans romped home in the chase as Pathum Nissanka smashed 100* off 52 balls, while Kusal Mendis hit 51 off 38 and Pavan Rathnayake 28* off 15.

For Australia, this was their second loss in as many games, putting serious question marks over their chances of qualifying for the Super 8 round of the T20 World Cup. The Aussies are currently third in the points table in Group B, with two points and a net run rate of +0.414.

To qualify for the Super 8 round of T20 World Cup 2026, Australia will have to beat Oman in their last group match and also hope that other results go their way. If Zimbabwe win one of their remaining two group games against Sri Lanka or Ireland, they will move up to six points and knock Australia out of the tournament.

On the other than, if Zimbabwe lose both of their remaining group games and Australia beat Oman, Australia, Zimbabwe and Ireland will finish the group stage with four points each. The net run rate will then decide which team progresses to the Super 8 stage.


Australia, Zimbabwe & Ireland: List of remaining Group B matches in T20 World Cup 2026

Australia’s last group match in T20 World Cup 2026 will be against Oman in Pallekele on February 20. Zimbabwe, who have two group games left, will face Ireland in Pallekele on February 17 and Sri Lanka in Colombo on February 19.

Advertisement

February 17: Ireland vs Zimbabwe, Pallekele (3pm)

February 19: Sri Lanka vs Zimbabwe, RPS Colombo (3pm)

February 20: Australia vs Oman, Pallekele (7pm)


Apart from Sri Lanka, India, West Indies, England and South Africa have also qualified for the Super 8 round of T20 World Cup 2026.

Advertisement