Connect with us
DAPA Banner
DAPA Coin
DAPA
COIN PAYMENT ASSET
PRIVACY · BLOCKDAG · HOMOMORPHIC ENCRYPTION · RUST
ElGamal Encrypted MINE DAPA
🚫 GENESIS SOLD OUT
DAPAPAY COMING

Sports

Southampton expelled from play-offs for spying on Middlesbrough, Oxford and Ipswich

Published

on

Southampton have been thrown out of the play-offs after admitting they spied on three clubs in the Championship season.

Middlesbrough, beaten by Southampton in the semi-final, have been reinstated and will now play Hull City for a place in the Premier League.

The EFL charged Saints with watching training sessions involving Oxford United and Ipswich Town, in addition to filming Middlesbrough as they prepared for the first leg of their play-off semi-final on 7 May.

The independent disciplinary commission also handed Southampton a four-point deduction in the Championship for next season.

Advertisement

Saints will now miss out on a game dubbed the richest in world football, with the winners of the play-off final guaranteed a minimum £110m in Premier League broadcast revenue.

The final will remain on Saturday at Wembley with the kick-off time to be confirmed.

Southampton admitted to “multiple breaches of EFL regulations related to the unauthorised filming of other clubs’ training”, the EFL said.

The club have also received a reprimand in respect of all the charges.

Advertisement

Sources have confirmed to BBC Sport that Southampton will lodge an appeal on Wednesday and will argue that the punishment is disproportionate.

The EFL said it would be “working to try and resolve any appeal on Wednesday 20 May”.

It added that “subject to the outcome, it could result in a further change to Saturday’s fixture”.

The appeal will be heard by an Independent League Arbitration panel with three new members.

Advertisement

The EFL said in a statement: “Southampton was first charged on Friday 8 May, with further charges issued on Sunday 17 May in relation to additional breaches during the 2025-26 season.

“Those additional charges arose from matters identified after the initial proceedings involving Middlesbrough were initiated.

“Southampton admitted breaches of regulations requiring clubs to act with the utmost good faith and prohibiting the observation of another club’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match.

“The admitted breaches concern fixtures against Oxford United in December 2025, Ipswich Town in April 2026 and Middlesbrough in May 2026.”

Advertisement

Southampton did not win any of the three games – they lost 2-1 at Oxford, drew 2-2 at home to Ipswich and claimed a 0-0 draw at Boro.

The statement continued: “The EFL is now in discussion with all three clubs regarding the implications of today’s decision and will make a further announcement in due course.”

Middlesbrough issued a statement which said they “welcome the outcome”.

“We believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct,” it added.

Advertisement

“As a club, we are now focused on our game against Hull City at Wembley on Saturday. Ticket information for our supporters will be available shortly.”

Southampton had already sold tickets for Saturday’s game, and their supporters will receive a full refund.

They must now wait to see if the Football Association issues any charges for individuals involved in the spying. The EFL can only apply sanctions against its member clubs.

After a spying case at the 2024 Olympic Games, three members of Canada’s staff, including the head coach, were banned from all football by Fifa for a year.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Why does Edmonton not have a PWHL team yet? Exploring what may be holding back expansion 

Published

on

Despite strong fan support, Edmonton still does not have a PWHL team, and the reason may come down more to logistics than interest. The Professional Women’s Hockey League is growing quickly, recently adding Detroit, Hamilton and Las Vegas as new markets. Edmonton, though, has not joined that list despite showing it can draw crowds.

During the 2025 Takeover Tour, more than 17,500 fans attended the Edmonton stop, one of the highest totals on the tour. The city also drew crowds above 10,000 for other PWHL games, showing there is clearly an audience for women’s hockey.

The bigger problem may be finding a home arena. Rogers Place already has a busy schedule with the Edmonton Oilers and Edmonton Oil Kings sharing the building. Between the two teams, there are 75 home games across the season.

Once concerts and other events are added, fitting in another hockey team becomes difficult, especially since the PWHL now plays a longer schedule than it did in its early seasons. Ownership is another part of the issue.

The PWHL owns all of its teams directly instead of using separate ownership groups. That means any Edmonton team would likely need an agreement with Oilers Entertainment Group to play at Rogers Place without being owned by OEG.

According to Ice Warriors Media Group, the league and OEG did discuss bringing a team to Edmonton but were unable to reach an agreement. A smaller arena does not seem like an easy answer either. Downtown Community Arena only seats about 1,000 people, which is far below the size most PWHL teams play in.

Advertisement

So while Edmonton looks like a strong hockey market for the league, scheduling issues and arena arrangements may be what is keeping a team out of the city for now.


PWHL expansion keeps moving ahead without Edmonton

While Edmonton is still without a team, the Professional Women’s Hockey League has continued to add new markets at a fast pace. The league recently announced San Jose as its 12th franchise, adding another city to an expansion group that already included Detroit, Hamilton and Las Vegas.

That growth has come quickly. The PWHL started with six teams in 2023 and has now doubled in size in just a few seasons.

San Jose will play out of SAP Center, home of the San Jose Sharks. The city also brings a large market, growing interest in women’s sports and strong girls hockey participation.

Advertisement

The league’s executive Amy Scheer said San Jose’s hockey background, women’s sports scene and community growth all played a role in the decision.2

The league could also change how it is organized as more teams come in. Officials have previously discussed using conferences or divisions as travel becomes a bigger part of the schedule.

The league owns all of its teams and is backed by Mark Walter and Kimbra Walter. With 12 teams now in place, including seven in the United States, the league may also be in a stronger position when it comes to landing a national broadcast partner.