Connect with us
DAPA Banner
DAPA Coin
DAPA
COIN PAYMENT ASSET
PRIVACY · BLOCKDAG · HOMOMORPHIC ENCRYPTION · RUST
ElGamal Encrypted MINE DAPA
🚫 GENESIS SOLD OUT
DAPAPAY COMING

Sports

The 10 Arsenal players who have withdrawn from international duty due to injury

Published

on

Arsenal are preparing for their most important run of fixtures in over 20 years – but Mikel Arteta is facing a growing injury list as a host of his star players have withdrawn from international duty over the last week.

The Gunners may have lost the Carabao Cup final to title rivals Manchester City but they remain alive in their three most important trophies this season, with a nine-point lead over City in the Premier League and through to the quarter-finals of the Champions League and FA Cup.

But Arteta is potentially facing a selection crisis ahead of the start of a pivotal week, kicking off with the FA Cup quarter-final against Southampton and the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final at Sporting Lisbon, while a potential title decider against Pep Guardiola’s side looms large as well.

Declan Rice, Bukayo Saka and Noni Madueke all withdrew from England’s squad to face Japan at Wembley on Tuesday – and there are now 10 withdrawals in total from various international squads.

Eberechi Eze – England

Advertisement

Withdraw date – Sunday 22 March

What was said: The midfielder missed the Carabao Cup final due to a calf injury and is reportedly facing several weeks out. England only said that Eze had been ruled from the friendlies against Uruguay and Japan “through injury”. Arteta said before the final that Arsenal had “tried everything” to get the midfielder ready.

William Saliba – France

Withdraw date – Monday 23 March

Advertisement

What was said: France confirmed Saliba had withdrawn from their squad to play Brazil and Colombia due to a “left ankle injury”. The centre-back had played 90 minutes in the Carabao Cup final defeat to Manchester City.

Gabriel Magalhaes – Brazil

Withdraw date – Monday 23 March

What was said: Saliba’s centre-back partner also played 90 minutes in the Carabao Cup final defeat at Wembley. “After the game… [Gabriel] complained of pain in his right knee,” a statement from Brazil said ahead of the games against France and Croatia in the United States. “Imaging tests have confirmed he is not fit to play.”

Advertisement

Jurrien Timber – Netherlands

Withdraw date – Monday 23 March

What was said: With the right back forced off during the first half of the win against Everton and missing both the Bayer Leverkusen second leg and the Carabao Cup final, the Netherlands confirmed Timber “has not yet sufficiently recovered from an injury” ahead of the friendlies against Norway and Ecuador.

Declan Rice and Jurrien Timber are among the Arsenal players to have withdrawn from international duty
Declan Rice and Jurrien Timber are among the Arsenal players to have withdrawn from international duty (Getty Images)

Leandro Trossard – Belgium

Withdraw date – Monday 23 March

Advertisement

What was said: Trossard played 82 minutes of Arsenal’s defeat in the Carabao Cup final but Belgium said the winger was not fit enough for the friendlies against the United States and Mexico. “This decision will allow [Trossard] to continue [his] rehabilitation under optimal conditions,” Belgium said.

Declan Rice – England

Withdraw date – Saturday 28 March

What was said: Rice was given a rest from England’s friendly against Uruguay and only joined up with Thomas Tuchel’s squad on Friday. However, a statement from England a day later confirmed he had returned to Arsenal for “medical assessment”.

Advertisement

Bukayo Saka – England

Withdraw date – Saturday 28 March

What was said: The winger, like Rice, had been offered a break during the first week of the international break. But he also withdrew from England’s squad a day after reporting to the camp. England said he had also returned for “medical assessment”.

Noni Madueke – England

Advertisement

Withdraw date – Saturday 28 March

What was said: Madueke was forced off during the first half of England’s 1-1 draw with Uruguay, and was later seen walking out of Wembley with his left knee in a brace. “I’m worried, of course, because I think he was a difference-maker today,” Tuchel said. “[I’m] very sad and upset and hopefully it’s not a big injury.”

Piero Hincapie – Ecuador

Withdraw date – Sunday 29 March

Advertisement

What was said: The defender played 72 minutes of Ecuador’s friendly against Morocco in Madrid, before pulling out of the squad to face the Netherlands on Tuesday. A statement from Ecuador reported that Hincapie “underwent medical and imaging tests” and “based on the evaluation” was sent back to Arsenal to “begin the recovery process”.

Martin Zubimendi – Spain

Withdraw date – Sunday 29 March

What was said: The midfielder came off the bench to replace Manchester City’s Rodri for the final 13 minutes of Spain’s 3-0 win over Serbia on Friday, but it was announced by Spain that he had withdrawn “due to discomfort in his right knee”. The statement added: “To avoid any risk and to protect the player’s health, he has been removed from the squad.”

Advertisement

Did anyone still play this week?

Sweden’s Viktor Gyokeres, Italy’s Riccardo Calafiori and Denmark’s Christian Norgaard all featured in decisive World Cup qualifiers on Tuesday, with the latter two left heartbroken in penalty shootout defeats to Bosnia and Herzegovina and Czech Republic respectively – but Graham Potter’s Sweden saw off Poland.

Ben White, ironically, is left as the only Arsenal player in Thomas Tuchel’s England squad, after the right back ended his four-year absence from the national team. He scored, gave away a penalty, and was booed in the 1-1 draw with Uruguay, and played for 59 minutes in the 1-0 loss to Japan, while teenager Max Dowman and Myles Lewis-Skelly were involved for England’s Under-19s and Under-21s, respectively.

Defender Cristhian Mosquera made his Spain debut last week, and he and goalkeeper David Raya started against Egypt, while Kai Havertz played in Germany’s friendly against Ghana on Monday night. Gabriel Martinelli was the last one back as he scored a late third in Brazil’s 3-1 friendly win over Croatia on Wednesday.

Advertisement

Arsenal were already without Norway’s Martin Odegaard, who has been sidelined since the win over Tottenham on February 22, and Spain’s Mikel Merino, with knee and foot problems respectively.

Arsenal’s upcoming games

Arsenal will return from the international break for their FA Cup quarter-final away to Championship side Southampton on Saturday 4 April, kick-off 8pm. It will be followed by the away trip to Sporting Lisbon in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final on Tuesday 7 April.

The Gunners will then return to Premier League duty and will kick off the title race run-in with a home test against Bournemouth on Saturday 11 April, kick-off 12:30, followed by the return leg of the Champions League quarter-final against Sporting on Wednesday 15 April.

Advertisement

Then, it’s the blockbuster trip to Manchester City on Sunday 19 April, kick-off 4:30pm.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Towering statue of Pele unveiled in Guadalajara ahead of FIFA World Cup | FIFA World Cup 2022

Published

on

Pele's statue installed in Guadalajara

Pele’s statue installed in Guadalajara


A large statue of soccer great Pele was unveiled Thursday in the Mexican city of Guadalajara to commemorate his achievements with the Brazilian national team.


Pele, who died at age 82 in 2022, won one of his three World Cup titles in Mexico at the 1970 edition of the tournament.


“This monumental figure of this great player, who played here and scored a great goal, is a great gift to the people of Jalisco and to all visitors,” Jalisco Gov. Pablo Lemus said. “Pele loved Guadalajara, and the Brazilian national team fell in love with it because the Mexican public gave them everything in 1970.” 

Advertisement

 


 
The 9.5-meter-tall (31-foot) statue is located in a public square called Plaza Brazil outside the Jalisco Stadium, which hosted matches in the 1970 and 1986 World Cups. For its 1970 title run, Brazil played its first-round, quarterfinal, and semifinal matches at the stadium before beating Italy in the final at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City.


“People who come to the Jalisco Stadium now will stop to take pictures. This statue will be a landmark, especially since it depicts a football star like Pele,” Lemus said. “It’s a great gift for the World Cup.” 
In the 2026 World Cup, Guadalajara will host four first-round matches: South Korea vs. Czech Republic on June 12; Mexico vs. South Korea on June 18, Colombia vs. Congo on June 23, and Uruguay vs. Spain on June 26.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Advertisement

First Published: May 22 2026 | 12:32 PM IST

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Pro reveals details of insane tattoo bet with caddie

Published

on

On Sunday, Lottie Woad enjoyed what is becoming a regular tradition in her pro career.

With a final-round 69 at the Kroger Queen City Championship in Cincinnati, Woad, who is 22, won her second LPGA event (and third event in total) since turning pro in the middle of last year. Woad’s victory was the latest highlight in her rapid climb up the food chain in the women’s game. It was also a moment of affirmation for one of her more … eclectic competitive rituals: a bag of gummy bears that has served as her good-luck charm.

As the story goes, the tradition started with Woad’s caddie, David Taylor, a veteran LPGA looper who evidently shares her sweet tooth.

“So, back in the UK, we’ve got kind of little supermarket called Marks & Spencer, and they do this sweet called Percy Pigs, and it just so happened that Singapore had one of these little small supermarkets, and I came across it one night when we were out for dinner,” Taylor said. “So, I took them and I put them in the bag, and I said, ‘These are some birdie sweets.’”

Advertisement

Caddies are famously adept at discovering motivational tools for their players, and in Taylor’s case, the key to Woad’s heart was simple.

“Now, every player is driven by different things, some are financially driven, Lotte is in fact driven by sweets,” he said. “So, I put them in the bag, and I said, ‘Every birdie you make, we get one each.’ So it’s not she’s going to hit some mad sugar rush or anything.”

Woad is careful to point out that she’s not exactly housing gummy bears during the course of competition. The candies are a boost that helps to break up the monotony of life on the road.

“I don’t know, we’ve done it the last few events that we remembered,” Woad said with a grin. “Yeah, I think people think that we’re like stuffing our faces with sweets during the round, but like realistically we’re eating like four gummy bears.”

Advertisement

But Woad’s moment in the sun at the Kroger Queen City Championship was dually rewarding, and not just for the sugar high of a pro victory. As Taylor explained in an interview with SiriusXM, he’d made his pro an unusual promise: The next time she won an event, she could choose the design for the next tattoo on her caddie’s body.

Woad’s victory in Cincy meant that she had earned that right, and as you might expect, there was only one option that made sense.

“Actually, about one hour ago, I got a text message from her, and she’s finally chosen what to get,” Taylor said with a laugh. “She’s chosen the piece, and it is, in fact, going to be a little gummy bear with a crown on it.”

A gummy bear with a crown — fitting for the first crowning of a new LPGA heavyweight player-caddie pairing … and one that just so happened to come in the Queen City.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

You can’t put it on kids

Published

on

Former India player Aakash Chopra has questioned Ruturaj Gaikwad for attributing the Chennai Super Kings’ (CSK) early exit from IPL 2026 to a young and inexperienced team. He highlighted that the blame shouldn’t be put on kids and that the seniors need to own up.

CSK were eliminated from IPL 2026 after an 89-run loss against the Gujarat Titans (GT) in Ahmedabad on Thursday, May 21. The visitors were bowled out for 140 in pursuit of a 230-run target.

In a video shared on his YouTube channel, ‘Aakash Chopra,’ the former India batter opined that Gaikwad should have spoken about the underperforming seniors instead of the youngsters while reflecting on CSK‘s exit in the post-match interview.

“He said that’s a very young team, that they cannot show that much faith in youngsters, and that they don’t have enough experience. I am wondering why those who have experience aren’t being spoken about. The talk should have been about Sanju Samson, Rutu, Shivam Dube, and Dewald Brevis. The talk shouldn’t be about Ayush Mhatre, Kartik Sharma, Prashant Veer, or Urvil Patel. What they did was excellent,” Chopra said.

“The talk should actually be about the elders. Rutu, how was your season? Kids bring bravado and an attacking approach. They don’t bring consistency, and how will they bring consistency? They are kids. So whose responsibility was it? You said you would open and don’t want to let Mhatre open. You needed to score runs. I agree that anyone can have a bad season, but you need to own up. You can’t put it on kids that they didn’t do well,” he added.

Ruturaj Gaikwad aggregated 337 runs at an underwhelming strike rate of 123.44 in 14 innings in IPL 2026. Shivam Dube (270 runs at a strike rate of 158.82 in 12 innings) and Dewald Brevis (151 runs at a strike rate of 127.96 in eight innings) also weren’t at their best this season.


“The mistake was in the auction as well” – Aakash Chopra on CSK’s IPL 2026 exit

Dewald Brevis was one of the two overseas batters in CSK's IPL 2026 squad (Image via X/@IPL)Dewald Brevis was one of the two overseas batters in CSK's IPL 2026 squad (Image via X/@IPL)
Dewald Brevis was one of the two overseas batters in CSK’s IPL 2026 squad (Image via X/@IPL)

In the same video, Aakash Chopra reckoned it wasn’t the youngsters’ mistake, highlighting that CSK had also erred in the IPL 2026 auction.

“In that interview, it seemed like it was the kids’ mistake. It wasn’t the kids’ mistake. The mistake was in the auction as well. You had two overseas batters, and they weren’t even like-for-like. You played with three overseas many times,” he said.

While acknowledging that Gaikwad might not have had enough time to reflect on the loss before the post-match interview, the cricketer-turned-commentator opined that his comment was odd.

“Plenty of problems that can be talked about later, but I found that one comment odd. Putting your responsibility on someone else is not the nicest way of doing things. You might not have got enough time to think about it post-match, you reacted suddenly, and you don’t mean it perfectly, but it still felt slightly odd as the kids have done decently. It wasn’t about them at all,” Chopra observed.

However, Aakash Chopra concurred with Ruturaj Gaikwad that the Chennai Super Kings were hit hard by injuries in IPL 2026. While terming CSK the ‘Chotil Super Kings’ because of the number of injuries they have endured, he pointed out that even Sanju Samson got injured while keeping in their last league game.

Advertisement