Gardeners’ World presenter Joe Swift has spoken out after being dropped from the BBC’s Chelsea Flower Show team following 24 years covering the event, taking aim at the BBC, David Beckham and young presenters
Gardening expert Joe Swift has criticised the BBC and Chelsea Flower Show after being axed from the presenting line-up following 24 years. King Charles and Queen Camilla were accompanied by Sir David Beckham on Monday, May 18, to open the star-studded week-long festival.
But Gardener’s World star Joe, 60, said he had to request a ticket from the Royal Horticultural Society for this week’s VIP gala, hosted at the Royal Hospital Chelsea, despite his decades covering the event.
He said: “I have been going to Chelsea for 30 years. I worked 24 years of them filming and I split up with the BBC on my 25th year. That was a long schlep.” For the latest TV and showbiz gossip sign up to our newsletter
Previously co-presenter of the BBC’s coverage of the show, alongside Monty Don, fans protested on social media when Joe was substituted by presenters Rachel de Thame and Arit Anderson.
Speaking on his podcast, The James and Joe Garden Show – which he hosts with garden designer and RHS vice-president, James Alexander-Sinclair – Joe was critical of younger presenters.
He said: “You can’t trust the young. They get obsessed with gimmicks, not real gardening, horticulture and good design.”
On the episode titled Chelsea Flower Show 2026: The Secrets the BBC Won’t Tell You, he also aimed criticism at a new garden designed by Frances Tophill and supported by King Charles, Sir David Beckham and Alan Titchmarsh.
He said, sarcastically: “David Beckham, that famous garden designer… and he will take all the credit. He will bend it like Beckham. “
The catering provided for presenters at the event also came in for sharp criticism. He said: “The catering used to be amazing. My kids used to come and they didn’t even look at a garden. They used to just sit there just working their way through breakfast, lunch and dinner. That all got cut back a few years ago.”
Joe also took aim at the less than pleasant toilets at the RHS show, remarking: “It is the chemical loo smell. By the end of the summer you are like ‘get me out of there.’”
Swift, who is attending a private party hosted by Range Rover on Thursday, May 21, also felt that BBC coverage had deteriorated due to budget cuts.
He said: “I used to do a lot of pre-films. When I first started filming for Chelsea they would send me all over the place. We would go abroad and film – like to France and Portugal. I think the budgets just got cut and cut.”
He rounded off his complaints by taking a swipe at the road links to the show, noting traffic queues along the Embankment. He continued: “There is only one road around Chelsea. There is a lot of tension between designers and gardeners because it is military precision.”
Adding that he would like to design his own Chelsea garden in the future, Joe admitted he doubted he could secure the necessary funding – particularly as the RHS is currently seeking new sponsors after charity, Project Giving Back, announced this year would be the last time it would fund the festival.
He said: “I have got an idea for a show garden but I need £500 million to do it.”
In response to Joe’s complaints, an RHS spokeswoman stated: “Joe RSVP’d to our invitation to attend RHS Chelsea on 11 February.
“Chelsea Flower Show ran for a hundred years without Project Giving Back and if it’s a super design, which will get the immense publicity that RHS Chelsea offers, we’re sure Joe will be able to find a sponsor…. although he might need to stop joking about the highly exaggerated £500 million budget!”
A BBC spokeswoman said: “We have nothing to add.”


You must be logged in to post a comment Login