Connect with us

Sports

Baker Mayfield says Buccaneers can prove doubters wrong in 2026 NFL season

Published

on

Not much has gone the way of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers over the last 10 months. Between a tremendously disappointing second half of the 2025 season, key personnel departures, questions about the coaching staff’s future and a contract standoff involving the team’s starting quarterback, there is not much room for optimism heading into 2026. Unless you ask Baker Mayfield.

Baker Mayfield still has his sights set on a prolific year. Perhaps every blow the Buccaneers suffered and all of the noise surrounding them will fuel him to deliver just that.

“I think we’re going to shock a lot of people this year,” Mayfield said Tuesday after practice. “I’m excited to just get on the road and do that.”

Mayfield is deeply familiar with critics and regularly proves them wrong. He has done so at every stage of his football career.

Advertisement

After finishing high school as an underrecruited prospect, Mayfield at Texas Tech became the first FBS walk-on true freshman quarterback to start a season opener. At Oklahoma, be shined as the only former walk-on to ever win the Heisman Trophy. While some said his antics and physical shortcomings would prevent him from finding professional success, he flew off the draft board as the No. 1 overall pick in 2018 and is now a two-time Pro Bowler.

The moral is to count Mayfield out at your own risk. He seems to thrive on adversity, and he and the Buccaneers face no shortage of it ahead of the 2026 season.

Skepticism for Buccaneers’ upcoming season abounds

Everything that plagued Tampa Bay from the middle of last season onward led to widespread pessimism for their 2026 outlook. Good luck finding many pundits who foresee the Buccaneers doing anything beyond treading water in the NFL’s weakest division.

“You can’t avoid it,” Mayfield said of the negative discourse. “There’s TVs everywhere.”

Advertisement

From their Week 9 bye last season onward, the Buccaneers went just 2-7 and sustained losing streaks of three and four games. The offense regressed into being far too schematic and predictable, and the defense was not strong enough to bail it out. A team that seemed destined for the postseason limped across the finish line in a division where no team logged a winning record.

Then came a slew of moves that, in aggregate, seem to lower the Buccaneers’ ceiling. An offensive coordinator change makes Zac Robinson the fourth different play-caller Mayfield will have operated with in four years in Tampa Bay. Franchise legends Lavonte David and Mike Evans are gone following the former’s retirement and the latter’s exit in free agency.

Even some of the players who remain on the roster are discontented. In addition to Mayfield’s own contract gripes, standout defensive tackle Vita Vea is at odds with the front office. The Buccaneers faced a concerning start to training camp when Vea requested a trade, and he has yet to practice as he conducts a hold-in while in search of a contract extension or a move out of town.

Yet, amid all the turmoil, Mayfield said he is confident his team will catch people by surprise.

Advertisement

“Hell yeah, I am,” Mayfield said. “Everybody’s picking us probably to have a losing record. We’ll see.”

How Baker Mayfield’s own adversity sparks bounce-back year

Last year was Mayfield’s worst since joining the Buccaneers in 2023. After he earned the first two Pro Bowl selections of his career, finished third in Comeback Player of the Year voting and even emerged as an MVP dark horse over his first two years in Tampa Bay, he logged the lowest completion rate and fewest passing yards and touchdowns of his tenure in 2025.

Baker Mayfield by year in Tampa Bay

2023

64.3

Advertisement

4,044

28

10

94.6

Advertisement

2024

71.4

4,500

41

Advertisement

16

106.8

2025

63.2

Advertisement

3,693

26

11

90.6

Advertisement

The front office clearly wants to see Mayfield turn things around before it invests in his long-term future. This is the final year of his contract, and while he wants an extension, the team did not meet his demands in time to get a deal done. The quarterback wanted the contract finalized before training camp, said he would not negotiate during the season, and is now set to play out his final year with no future guarantees.

Mayfield wants to join the $50 million-per-year club, and he said the offers he received from the team were “pretty far” from that echelon. In the weeks since training camp opened, Mayfield has been outward with his frustration. He said he feels “disrespected” and that the team is undervaluing what he brings to the table as a franchise quarterback.

Time and time again over the last decade and a half, Mayfield disproved his detractors. To give him a multi-million-dollar chip on his shoulder — in addition to the one that exists because of the team’s perceived weakness — is like feeding raw meat to a starving wolf. It could give him the kindling he needs to blaze his way to a bounce-back campaign.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Edwin Díaz injury: Dodgers placing struggling closer on IL as bullpen woes continue

Published

on

The Dodgers are placing All-Star closer Edwin Diaz on the injured list, according to The Athletic. Early word is that it’s some sort of “upper body” injury that’s sending Díaz back to the IL, not his surgically-repaired elbow, via The Athletic. Díaz was on the injured list earlier this season after having surgery to remove loose bodies from his pitching elbow. He was placed on the IL on April 20 and came off on July 29. 

The big story here is how Díaz has pitched when not on the IL. After signing a three-year, $69 million deal with the Dodgers this past offseason, the first year of the contract has been a disaster. In all, he’s posted an 11.85 ERA, 2.56 WHIP and -1.4 WAR in 16 outings. He has seven saves but four blown saves. He’s had seven outings with zero runs allowed and five where he’s allowed multiple runs. 

If the loose bodies in his elbow could explain the early-season failures, all of that should have been cleared up once he returned from the injured list. Instead, he posted a 12.91 ERA with three saves in six chances in his nine appearances after his return. He’s been worse and that’s starting from a very low bar.

He worked in relief Tuesday night in Colorado and gave up three runs on four hits in his inning. He didn’t strike anyone out and hit a batter. The Dodgers and Díaz must’ve gotten together and decided enough was enough after that one. 

Advertisement

In a corresponding move, Emmet Sheehan is expected to be recalled from Triple-A to provide some help for the Dodgers’ shaky bullpen. 

What’s next for Dodgers’ struggling bullpen?

This wasn’t supposed to be how the season worked out, as the Dodgers looked to shore up one of their few weaknesses after two consecutive World Series championships. Díaz was one of the best closers in baseball in 2025, just as he was in 2022, 2020 and 2018. 

Advertisement

Tanner Scott (2.20 ERA, 0.92 WHIP) and Alex Vesia (2.91 ERA, 1.22 WHIP) could serve as the Dodgers’ main two late-inning guys, but Evan Phillips — who has previously closing experience with the Dodgers — and Jack Dreyer are also options. 

The bullpen isn’t very deep or good right now. A few days ago, Dodgers manager Dave Roberts, when asked about Díaz pitching in a key situation, admitted he had few other options. 

“Give me another option. I can’t just say, ‘Change (Díaz) to low leverage.’ I have to have other options, and to be quite honest, none of those guys really have thrown the baseball great. That’s just kind of the way it is,” Roberts said. 

One might recall that the bullpen was a major concern down the stretch for the Dodgers late last season, but the move of Roki Sasaki to the bullpen for the playoffs, in addition to the four ace-like starting pitchers working so deep into games, helped push the Dodgers across the finish line for another title. 

Advertisement

It seems they’ll need to find a fix again this time around.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

“Will land straight away” – Darren Bent makes bold Liverpool prediction as he names his PL top 5

Published

on

Former Ipswich Town striker Darren Bent has predicted Liverpool to finish in the top five in the upcoming 2026-27 Premier League season, which kicks off on Friday (August 21) with holders Arsenal taking on Coventry City.

The Gunners won their first top-flight title in 22 years last season, winning five straight games to finish seven points clear of Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City. It marked their first success in the league since their ‘Invincibles’ triumph under Arsene Wenger all the way back in 2004.

Mikel Arteta’s side have made reinforcements during the summer, as have their primary challengers. However, Bent reckons the Gunners could go back-to-back in the English top flight for the first time, saying on talkSPORT:

Advertisement

“Arsenal 1, Liverpool 2. “I think Andoni [Iraola] will land straight away. Chelsea 3rd, City 4th, Man United 5th.”

Among the top five Bent mentioned, three clubs have brought in new managers: The Reds have appointed Andoni Iraola; Manchester City have given their reins to former Chelsea boss Enzo Maresca, while Chelsea will be managed by former Reds midfielder and Real Madrid head coach Xabi Alonso.

Manchester United, who appointed Michael Carrick permanently in the summer after impressing in an interim capacity since joining in January, have been tipped to finish in the UEFA Champions League places but might not contend for the title.


What’s next for Liverpool?

Liverpool FC vs AS Monaco - Pre-Season Friendly - Source: GettyLiverpool FC vs AS Monaco - Pre-Season Friendly - Source: Getty
Liverpool FC vs AS Monaco – Pre-Season Friendly – Source: Getty

Liverpool have had a mixed pre-season as they started life under new boss Andoni Iraola, who has arrived from AFC Bournemouth to replace Arne Slot, who left at the end of the 2025-26 campaign.

The Reds commenced their preparations with a 4-2 victory over Sunderland in Nashville last month before beating Wrexham 1-0 at New York City. However, their US tour ended with a 4-2 defeat to Leeds United in Chicago, squandering a two-goal lead by shipping in four goals in the final 30 minutes.

Back home, they failed to return to winning ways, losing 3-2 to AS Monaco before going into the new season with a win, beating Cesc Fabregas’ Como 2-0 in their final friendly before their Premier League campaign opener against at Newcastle United on Saturday (August 23).

Advertisement