Connect with us

Sports

Kate Cross: Former England bowler to retire at end of summer

Published

on

Former England bowler Kate Cross has announced she will retire from cricket at the end of the summer.

The 34-year-old, who played 102 times for England between 2013 and 2025, has been playing in domestic cricket since losing her England contract last year.

“It is incredibly hard to imagine ever saying goodbye to playing the sport that has been such a huge part of my life and shaped me into the person I am today but the final chapter is in sight,” Cross said.

“I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to play the game I love professionally and get to do it at the highest level.”

Advertisement

Dame Sarah Storey, the chair of Lancashire where Cross made her debut aged 14 and became the first woman on the county’s academy, described Cross as a “true Lancashire legend”, adding she “made an incredible contribution to both Lancashire and England Women”.

Cross, who played in The Hundred final for Sunrisers Leeds last weekend, is due to play the reminder of the season for Lancashire, including against The Blaze on Sunday in Nottingham.

Cross made her England debut aged 22 in a T20 in West Indies and featured in England’s 2013-14 Ashes win – their most recent victory in the Women’s Ashes – that winter.

The seamer fell out of favour after a run across formats, meaning she watched England’s iconic 2017 World Cup win at Lord’s from a hospitality box.

Advertisement

But Cross regained her place and was a regular in the Test and 50-over England side until being left out by new coach Charlotte Edwards last summer.

Her last international was an ODI against India last July.

She finishes her career with 25 Test wickets, 101 in one-day internationals and 14 in T20s.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Ronaldinho to make football comeback aged 46

Published

on

While Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are still playing at 39 and 41 respectively, most football fans thought Ronaldinho belonged to another footballing era.

That all changed in June, when Italian Serie C club, Ravenna, announced that the former Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain and AC Milan forward would play for them in the upcoming season.

On a rainy Thursday in northeastern Italy, the former Ballon d’Or winner was unveiled with a quick press conference and a sense of excitement gripping the city.

“I’m very happy to be here with friends, we have a team that can do something good,” said Ronaldinho.

Advertisement

“I just arrived, but I have a great desire to live this experience with the whole city.”

Pure PR?

The 46-year-old last played for Fluminense in his homeland in 2015 and will become a shareholder in Ravenna, owned by Ignazio Cipriani, an Italian-American businessman who has owned the club since 2024.

Despite holding up the shirt and signing a piece of paper for the cameras, the suspicion remains that this is little more than a PR stunt for an ambitious lower league club. Ronaldinho himself didn’t actually dispel those rumors.

Ronaldinho celebrates a goal for Brazil with one arm aloft
Ronaldinho won 97 caps for Brazil, scoring 33 goalsImage: AP

“Will you see me play? I don’t know, only the coach knows that,” he said. “Coming back to Italy is wonderful, I’m here to help my teammates win.”

Both the Brazilian and Cipriani used the same language to describe one of Ronaldinho’s motivations: “Friendship and passion,” they both said. Both men also referred to Ronaldinho’s quest to score a 300th professional goal.

“His objective is romantic, to try to score his last goal,” Cipriani said.

Advertisement

“His involvement is not a token gesture or a marketing stunt to get people talking about us.”

How an 81-year-old sprinter chases a world record

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

The way in which that figure has been reached is slightly unclear, with many widely used resources saying Ronaldinho has scored far fewer than 299 goals in his career. He has, however, won the Ballon d’Or in 2005, the 2002 World Cup and topflight titles in Spain and Italy.

Advertisement

Ronaldinho some way off Japan’s Miura

Whether he ends up playing or not, Ronaldinho’s presence in the northeastern city of about 160,000 inhabitants has sparked plenty of anticipation and ticket sales. Reports suggest the club has sold 2,700 season tickets, largely off the back of the Brazilian’s arrival.

Even if he does get onto the pitch at 46, Ronaldinho will be far from the oldest footballer around. That title has long belonged to Japan’s Kazuyoshi Miura, 59.

The former Japan international, who also played in Italy, scored two penalties in the country’s Emperor’s Cup competition this week, further extending his record as the world’s oldest player.

Edited by: Chuck Penfold

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

42-year-old star heartbroken over unexpected WWE release

Published

on

A 42-year-old star has opened up about his WWE release. This year, the Stamford-based promotion cut a number of superstars from its roster following WrestleMania 42.

While a number of names were let go in a single swoop, the situation was a little different for Santos Escobar.

Escobar had been with the promotion since 2019, and there were rumors of him leaving the company in October 2025. However, he reportedly re-signed and began competing in AAA, owned by WWE.

After suffering a triceps injury in March, he underwent surgery before requiring a second procedure on his ulnar nerve in April. His release came just days after the second surgery.

In a recent interview with TMZ’s Inside The Ring, he opened up on his exit. He said the situation was hard for him because he was injured.

“In all honesty, it was hard; it was difficult. It was difficult mostly because of the injuries, not so much for the release itself, which, you know, the optics always matter, but that’s something that’s out of my reach. I don’t really know what’s behind it,” he said.

Escobar described the situation as heartbreaking, saying he wasn’t ready for it.

“Again, it was a very heartbreaking situation for me personally because I was injured, and I think it was maybe six or seven days after my second surgery. So it was even more heartbreaking, disappointing, if you can imagine my mental state at that point. I don’t want to say I was ready because I wasn’t. I don’t think anyone is ready for that,” he said.

Advertisement
youtube-cover

Santos Escobar reveals conversation with Nick Khan leading to WWE return

Amid his prolonged absence from WWE last year, it was rumored that Santos Escobar had left the company. But in October, he reportedly re-signed a deal to continue his tenure.

During the conversation on Inside The Ring, Escobar revealed that he let his contract expire and was ready to look at other options. However, he received a call from WWE President Nick Khan, who apologized for how his character was treated.

Escobar said that Khan told him that they would give him everything he needs to thrive, and that’s the reason he re-signed with them.


If you use quotes from this article, please credit TMZ’s Inside The Ring podcast and give an H/T to Sportskeeda Wrestling for the transcription.