Connect with us
DAPA Banner
DAPA Coin
DAPA
COIN PAYMENT ASSET
PRIVACY · BLOCKDAG · HOMOMORPHIC ENCRYPTION · RUST
ElGamal Encrypted MINE DAPA
🚫 GENESIS SOLD OUT
DAPAPAY COMING

Sports

Bench boosts Thunder past Spurs in Game 3

Published

on

OKC Thunder Jaylin Williams Jared McCain vs Spurs NBA Playoffs Game 3

Oklahoma City Thunder forward Jaylin Williams (6) and guard Jared McCain (3) hug after Game 3 in the Western Conference finals NBA basketball playoffs series against the San Antonio Spurs Friday, May 22, 2026, in San Antonio. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Down 15-0 not even three minutes into Game 3 of the Western Conference finals on Friday night, Oklahoma City coach Mark Daigneault went to his bench for the first time.

And everything changed in an instant, a harbinger of what was to come.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

The Oklahoma City bench keeps getting better in these Western Conference finals — and, with all respect to MVP Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, the backups are the reason the Thunder are two wins away from a return the NBA Finals.

READ: NBA Playoffs: Spurs, Thunder battle injuries in West finals

The Thunder got 50 points from their reserves in Game 1, then 57 in Game 2 — and on Friday, the bench mob struck again, scoring 76 points and keying Oklahoma City’s 123-108 win over the San Antonio Spurs for a 2-1 series lead.

The 76 bench points were the most by a team in a conference finals game since the NBA went to the 16-team playoff format in 1984. The previous mark was 69 by the Los Angeles Lakers in 1985. Only two Thunder starters scored in double figures — Gilgeous-Alexander had 26 points and Chet Holmgren had 14.

Article continues after this advertisement

The bench more than made up for that.

Advertisement

Jared McCain scored 24 points for the Thunder; that’s a playoff career best. Jaylin Williams — that’s the forward, with Thunder guard Jalen Williams out with hamstring issues again — hit five 3-pointers and scored 18; that was also a playoff career high. And Alex Caruso had 15 points, giving him 63 in this series; that’s the best three-game scoring span of his career.

READ: NBA Playoffs: Wembanyama disappointed as Spurs fall to Thunder

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander Thunder vs Spurs NBA Playoffs Game 3Shai Gilgeous-Alexander Thunder vs Spurs NBA Playoffs Game 3

Oklahoma City Thunder guards Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (2) and Alex Caruso (9) high-five during the first half of Game 3 in the Western Conference finals NBA basketball playoffs series against the San Antonio Spurs Friday, May 22, 2026, in San Antonio. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Oklahoma City’s bench contributed 62% of the scoring for the Thunder in Game 3 — something no team had done in a winning effort during a conference finals game in the last four decades.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

Caruso was the first sub for the Thunder after the Spurs scored the game’s first 15 points. He instantly settled things down and most of that San Antonio lead was gone by the end of the first quarter.

Oklahoma City controlled the majority of things the rest of the way. After being down 15 at the start, the Thunder won by 15 at the end.



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.


Your subscription has been successful.
Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Controversial PGA of America president is ousted after chaotic Ryder Cup 

Published

on

Don Rea, embroiled in controversy following events at last year’s Ryder Cup, has been replaced as president of the PGA of America. 

In a statement late Friday afternoon, the governing body said that the move “followed a series of issues over time that, taken together, were determined to be detrimental to the Association.” The PGA said Nathan Charnes would be moved from vice president to acting president until November, when Rea’s two-year term was to have ended. 

Rea had caught heat at last September’s Ryder Cup, which was run by the PGA of America, over a series of actions, including:

His comments to the BBC on the Sunday of the event. A day earlier, spectators at Bethpage Black on Long Island had turned unruly turned toward the European team, and Rea, after being asked about that, started his answer this way:

Advertisement

“Well, you got 50,000 people here that are really excited, and, heck, you can go to a youth soccer game and get some people who say the wrong things. We tell the fans booing at somebody doesn’t make them play worse. Typically it makes them play better. And when our American players have to control the crowds, that distracts from playing.”

Rea was then asked specifically about fan comments toward Rory McIlroy, who was playing for Europe. 

“I haven’t heard some of that,” he said. “I’m sure it’s happened. You know, it happens when we’re over in Rome on the other side. And Rory understands. I thought he handled the press conference yesterday amazingly. But yeah, things like that are going to happen. I don’t know what was said. But all I know is golf is the engine of good.”

One day later, Rea sent a letter to PGA of America members condemning the fan behavior, and he apologized. “While it wasn’t my intention,” Rea wrote, “some of my comments were seen in a negative light which reflects poorly on not only myself but also on the PGA of America and for that I truly apologize.” McIlroy also said in November that Rea had reached out to apologize. 

Advertisement

– His karaoke performance on the Saturday night of the event. Following the unruly play that afternoon, Rea was recorded singing “Lose Yourself” by Eminem, and video of that was found and circulated by The Fried Egg golf website.  

– A comment on Sunday during the trophy ceremony. After Europe won the event 15-13, Rea said the Europeans retained the cup, instead of winning it outright.  

In February, Golfweek’s Adam Schupak reported that Rea had been reassigned to handle “member-first priorities.” At last week’s PGA Championship, another PGA of America event, Rea was not publicly seen. At a press conference on the day before the tournament, PGA of America CEO Terry Clark was asked about PGA of America governance and why Rea wasn’t at the media session, and he said that Rea had been focused on “how we think about our membership.” 

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Victor Wembanyama unanimous pick for NBA All-Defensive team

Published

on

NBA Playoffs Victor Wembanyama Spurs vs ThunderNBA Playoffs Victor Wembanyama Spurs vs Thunder

San Antonio Spurs forward Victor Wembanyama (1) blocks a shot by Oklahoma City Thunder center Isaiah Hartenstein (55) during the first half of Game 2 in the Western Conference finals NBA basketball playoffs series Wednesday, May 20, 2026, in Oklahoma City. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)

NEW YORK — Victor Wembanyama was the unanimous pick as Defensive Player of the Year this season, and the only unanimous All-Defensive team selection as well.

The San Antonio star — as expected, given how the DPOY voting went — appeared on all 100 first-team ballots and made first-team All-Defense for the second time in his three NBA seasons. The team was announced Friday night.

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: NBA Playoffs: Wembanyama says Game 4 will show what Spurs are made of

Oklahoma City’s Chet Holmgren, Detroit’s Ausar Thompson, Minnesota’s Rudy Gobert and Boston’s Derrick White rounded out the first team. Gobert is now a nine-time All-Defensive team pick, while Holmgren, Thompson and White were all first-time selections to the first team.

Advertisement

The second team was Toronto’s Scottie Barnes, Oklahoma City’s Cason Wallace, Miami’s Bam Adebayo, New York’s OG Anunoby and Atlanta’s Dyson Daniels.

Gobert and Daniels are the only players that have made the All-Defensive team in each of the last two seasons.



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.


Your subscription has been successful.
Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Usyk vs Rico: Tony Bellew, Eddie Hearn and Terence Crawford give predictions for world title fight

Published

on

Oleksandr Usyk defends his WBC world title against Rico Verhoeven on Saturday in Egypt.

The fight is unusual in location as in nature, with kickboxing world champion Verhoeven getting a title shot in just his second boxing fight – and first since 2014.

The 37-year-old Dutchman is aiming to pull off arguably the biggest upset in the sport’s history.

Ukrainian Usyk, 39, is aiming to continue his near 17-year winning streak.

Advertisement

Will we see an underdog win for the ages or will Usyk’s dominance continue?

BBC Sport asks the boxing world for their predictions.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Sidney Crosby optimistic abut Evgeni Malkin’s future after contract talks “in a good place” with Penguins

Published

on

Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby delivered a hopeful message about the future of his longtime teammate Evgeni Malkin, saying recent contract discussions between the organization and the veteran center have reached a promising stage.

Speaking from the World Championship in Switzerland, Crosby indicated that the end-of-season conversations left him feeling encouraged about Malkin’s chances of staying in Pittsburgh.

Evgeni Malkin will turn 40 this summer and is slated to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

“I’ve just always expected to be playing with him,” Crosby said via NY Times. “After talking with everyone at the end of the year, it felt like it was in a good place in terms of getting something done.

He also expressed a preference for resolving the situation sooner rather than later, referencing past negotiations that dragged into the summer and created unnecessary uncertainty.

Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin have been central to the Penguins’ success for nearly two decades, arriving as young phenoms in the mid-2000s and anchoring three Stanley Cup championship teams.

Crosby has made no secret of his desire to continue their on-ice partnership, describing their connection as one that goes far beyond hockey. Penguins general manager Kyle Dubas has previously voiced the organization’s interest in retaining Malkin.

Advertisement

With the team coming off another early playoff exit, a short-term deal for the veteran forward appears to be the most likely path to take as Pittsburgh tries to blend its veteran leadership with younger players moving up the roster.

Sidney Crosby clears the air around retirement speculation

Sidney Crosby made it clear he has no immediate thoughts of hanging up his skates. The 38-year-old superstar addressed ongoing speculation about his future:

“Not at all… I said year to year because of where the team is at,” he said. “It just makes sense, whether it’s our cap, who we have coming in and out, just to have that flexibility. It’s important,” Crosby said via NY Times.

He added:

“Yeah, I’m saying year to year based on contracts,” he explained. “It just seems to make sense. I mean, it could change. We’ll see. Kyle (Dubas) and I haven’t even talked about it. But I’ll talk with Pat (Brisson) and Kyle later this summer. We’ll talk about it and do what makes sense. If it does make sense to sign for a couple of years, then we’ll do that.”

Meanwhile, Sidney Crosby and Team Canada are atop the Group B standings with 14 points at the World Championship. Their next game is against Slovakia on Sunday.

Advertisement